JB on Hughes | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Hughes

People forget Waiters/Triche/Jardine basically all played 20mpg in 2012.

Just because JB doesn’t like going deep typically we have become accustomed to it. If we have the guards to play he will play them. I wouldn’t mind if Carey and Howard split the minutes like Triche and Waiters.
Battle is getting 30-32mpg though.
I posted as much - lots of minutes distribution with a strong bench like we had in 2012 - in a thread back in May. I had Hughes at 18 mpg but he'll probably get more if he's blowing up in practice.
Minutes lost minutes gained for new blood

I posted as much - lots of minutes distribution with a strong bench like we had in 2012 - in a thread back in May. I had Hughes at 18 mpg but he'll probably get more if he's blowing up in practice.
Minutes lost minutes gained for new blood

Love the talk about his offense, but until we (really until JB) sees what he can do in the zone, then it's all just wild speculation.

And the Andrew White experiment at the top of the zone is reason number 1 why I think Hughes will play forward minutes only, not "stealing time" from Frank as others have suggested.

But I'm not sure he was wrong about that team on paper, pre-season. After those comments, we lost 2/3's of our front line -- Coleman couldn't even run down the Court and Chukwu went out with a freak eye injury. So all that "size" and JB's confidence went over the deck with injuries to our 7'2 shot-blocker and our 6-10/275 lb. low-post scorer and rebounder. That forced JB to start playing guys out of position, and the rest is history.
If he was basing his high expectations on Coleman and Chukwu being standout performers, that sounds just a bit sketchy.

Howard
Battle
Oshae
Marek
Chukwu

I don't know who will be first off the bench between Carey, Hughes, and Sidibe (because Chukwu is negligible on offense)

Howard
Battle
Oshae
Marek
Chukwu

I don't know who will be first off the bench between Carey, Hughes, and Sidibe (because Chukwu is negligible on offense)

I really hope Sid is healthy and stays healthy this year.

I know - I know. Unnecessary.

Howard
Battle
Oshae
Marek
Chukwu

Unless Chuku makes some big offensive leaps, I see him getting the quickest hook more often than not.

Love the talk about his offense, but until we (really until JB) sees what he can do in the zone, then it's all just wild speculation.

And the Andrew White experiment at the top of the zone is reason number 1 why I think Hughes will play forward minutes only, not "stealing time" from Frank as others have suggested.
If memory serves, I think Gillon and Battle started in the backcourt and White played SF. My take on this (big SG as forward) is that it can be effective if the player scores a lot. But rebounding (White - 4.5 rpg) and inside defense (12 blocks all year) take a hit. The nice thing about the 18 team is that we can play a guy like Hughes at forward but bring in a 6'9 guy when we need it.

Last edited:
...and he could sub for four starters, enabling the rest of the lineup to shift around [Frank, Battle, Brissett, or Dolezaj].

Bingo - Boeheim (along with everyone else, I hope) likes multi-dimensional subs. Haven't had too many of those in the last five years.

incorrect
durant, dj augustin and sherron collins were all unanimous selections to the big xii rookie team that year. i don't see the vote totals anywhere, but wes was no better than 4th. that's not to take anything away from him, just a correction to the record . . . a myth has grown in these parts that wes was 2nd only to kevin durant that year.
Thanks for the correction. It should be noted that he was honorable mention freshman All-America. His talent was recognized when he was a frosh. He played his entire soph year with an undiagnosed ankle injury. .

I would say yes
I would say no.

When Jim has had this kind of situation in the past, he prefers not to rile up psychological issues on the team, preferring to not rock the boat with what was an excellent starting lineup last year. Doesn't mean Hughes won't get 25-30 minutes PT per game as Tom predicts. Just means he will use the Waiters approach and spread the minutes around much more liberally than he usually does.

Definitely agree. I really don't think JB is worried about the team's offense at this point...has good reason to expect they'll be able to put up the points they need against the best teams in the country.

At this point, I suspect his #1 goal for next year's team is to turn it into his best defensive team ever.

He's been trying to show the basketball world that he is a defensive genius (did convince his buddy K) over the past dozen years and he realizes that he just might have the talent + experience combination he needs with next year's squad to show how brilliant his defensive approach really is.

There is a very good chance that this year's team will make The Boeheim Pressure Zone the talk of the basketball world.

Agree about the offense/defense element. Sidibe and Hughes might add to the offense, but Chukwu and Dolezaj provide rim protection, rebounding, and shot blocking. Will Hughes deter wing shooters the way Dolezaj was doing in March?

Certainly good to have the luxury of these options, but we all saw the value of inside defense in the March games.

The starting 5 isn't going to change, but we'll see our own version of the hamptons 5 lineup with Hughes in it, especially if we are needing points. That lineup would be AMAZING to watch on the offensive end...unless we go back to iso ball ugh

...and he could sub for four starters, enabling the rest of the lineup to shift around [Frank, Battle, Brissett, or Dolezaj].

You can do that if he starts too.

I would say no.

When Jim has had this kind of situation in the past, he prefers not to rile up psychological issues on the team, preferring to not rock the boat with what was an excellent starting lineup last year. Doesn't mean Hughes won't get 25-30 minutes PT per game as Tom predicts. Just means he will use the Waiters approach and spread the minutes around much more liberally than he usually does.
Reasonable. However, here's my thought on this: you make Marek the 6th man.

Here's my reasoning: You now create backup depth at every position: 2 centers, 2 power forwards (Oshae and Marek), 2 small forwards (Hughes and Boeheim), 2 SG's (Battle and Washington) and Howard and Carey at the point

unless we go back to iso ball ugh

I really think JB resorted to iso ball to deal with two major problems he was facing, 1) his limited number of [somewhat] reliable offensive options, and 2) the number of minutes he needed to give to his top 5 (1/2) players.

Normally, it is said that a zone allows a team to rest its players, but not the way Boeheim plays the zone. I think he turned to iso ball in large part to rest his players on offense (when coupled with the decision to use the entire shot clock).

This upcoming season looks like it'll give him an entirely different set of opportunities to work with.

I really think JB resorted to iso ball to deal with two major problems he was facing, 1) his limited number of [somewhat] reliable offensive options, and 2) the number of minutes he needed to give to his top 5 (1/2) players.

Normally, it is said that a zone allows a team to rest its players, but not the way Boeheim plays the zone. I think he turned to iso ball in large part to rest his players on offense (when coupled with the decision to use the entire shot clock).

This upcoming season looks like it'll give him an entirely different set of opportunities to work with.
Here's to hope and praying it was just the season...cuz if I see PC pick and rolls with THIS team, I'm going to cry. We legit have the PERFECT person to do a pick and roll/pick and pop with OB and nope

…..

Agree that players have to work in the JB zone (no resting!).

ISO ball is a smart move when you have 3 perimeter players who fit that style, especially when 2 of them are better at creating their own shot than they are at creating for others.

Simple fact -- Chukwu's skills aren't going to accommodate a lot of offensive schemes. People complain about using Chukwu for a high pick -- the benefit of that play is to get him and his defender out of the lane so our perimeter players have room in the lane.

JB is pretty good at working his offense around what he has. Interested to see what happens with the good options he has now.

Agree that players have to work in the JB zone (no resting!).

ISO ball is a smart move when you have 3 perimeter players who fit that style, especially when 2 of them are better at creating their own shot than they are at creating for others.

Simple fact -- Chukwu's skills aren't going to accommodate a lot of offensive schemes. People complain about using Chukwu for a high pick -- the benefit of that play is to get him and his defender out of the lane so our perimeter players have room in the lane.

JB is pretty good at working his offense around what he has. Interested to see what happens with the good options he has now.

But you never saw that happen..like ever because they would double the ball handler, so they had no space to even attempt to get to the lane...And I would never say there is a benefit to a PC pick and roll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom