JB on Sirius... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Sirius...

I think it could be done, but the what-ifs are likely too much for a university to agree to in terms of liability. You going to trust your bubbled players to not break the bubble to hang with their girlfriends, or sneak off to get some food offsite? NBA bubble restrictions seem to be working pretty well, but man, you are talking about something completely different with traveling to different cities for games a couple times a week. Feels like it might be too much without a drastic drop in the case counts for the virus, or a vaccine.

Yeah, I think there's little chance players sign health waivers, so schools are eventually going to shut down. It just seems likely, unless they keep all the students off campus, and it becomes the sports teams' bubble.

Ah, college life! Amirite?

Will JB get his salary if the season is cancelled? Are his endorsements tied to him coaching? What happens the Athletic Department's budget with no games? What about the trainers and lower paid coaches? The coaches of non-revenue sports?

No games no TV revenue. That new roof will not pay for its self...

Last edited:
VT has been doing the best because it has been very, very slow to reopen, which I'm ok with, mind you, but there are sports happening in many other places without much blowback. I have a nephew playing high level high school hoops in SoCal and another one playing high level high school baseball in the Carolinas. One of them caught Covid, but from his girlfriend, not sports.
And did he spread that to his teammates? That’s kind of my point.

People choose to put themselves at risk for tons of stuff every day their whole entire lives. This is an airborne virus that isn’t going away eventually we’re all going to be putting ourselves at risk. Yes the scientists and medical people will catch up and get better at treating it and figure things out so things should get safer over time. That said I don’t tell my neighbor he shouldn’t smoke cigarettes if people want to put themselves at risk for Covid and it’s not putting me at risk then I don’t see the issue. I wouldn’t be surprised if statistically it’s still more dangerous to get in the car and drive.

People choose to put themselves at risk for tons of stuff every day their whole entire lives. This is an airborne virus that isn’t going away eventually we’re all going to be putting ourselves at risk. Yes the scientists and medical people will catch up and get better at treating it and figure things out so things should get safer over time. That said I don’t tell my neighbor he shouldn’t smoke cigarettes if people want to put themselves at risk for Covid and it’s not putting me at risk then I don’t see the issue. I wouldn’t be surprised if statistically it’s still more dangerous to get in the car and drive.
I love you brother, but this is a bad take. People aren't just putting themselves at risk with bad behavior. Takes a lot to kill another person with your cigarette smoking. Takes very little to pass this disease, which can have major life-long impacts even if it doesn't kill you. And we still don't know all of those.

I love you brother, but this is a bad take. People aren't just putting themselves at risk with bad behavior. Takes a lot to kill another person with your cigarette smoking. Takes very little to pass this disease, which can have major life-long impacts even if it doesn't kill you. And we still don't know all of those.

It’s just my opinion. If I lived my entire life worried about the what ifs I’d never leave the house and that’s not living. I’m definitely trying to minimize the risk just like I do when I drive. And I’m not saying everybody should run around willy-nilly and do whatever they want. I’m saying IMO if there’s a group of people that want to do something, they understand the risks and they can do it without putting other people at risk and that’s their decision. Again it’s just my thoughts and IMO your thoughts are also valid.

It’s just my opinion. If I lived my entire life worried about the what ifs I’d never leave the house and that’s not living. I’m definitely trying to minimize the risk just like I do when I drive. And I’m not saying everybody should run around willy-nilly and do whatever they want. I’m saying IMO if there’s a group of people that want to do something, they understand the risks and they can do it without putting other people at risk and that’s their decision. Again it’s just my thoughts and IMO your thoughts are also valid.
But they can’t do whatever they want without putting others at risk. If people want to do dumb things that can only hurt themselves, go for it. But when they put your family at risk, or mine, that’s where we have to draw the line. I equate it to drunk driving. We’ve all done it and gotten home safe and without hurting someone else, probably too many times. But the potential to hurt others is far too high to just allow that to happen all the time.

Half the board wants us to be like New Zealand who just lockdown the country over four cases while the other shares JBs sentiment. He's made millions upon millions and doesn't need money. Has little incentive to go back to work other than keeping himself occupied.
New Zealand has packed Rugby Stadiums today.

But they can’t do whatever they want without putting others at risk. If people want to do dumb things that can only hurt themselves, go for it. But when they put your family at risk, or mine, that’s where we have to draw the line. I equate it to drunk driving. We’ve all done it and gotten home safe and without hurting someone else, probably too many times. But the potential to hurt others is far too high to just allow that to happen all the time.

Is not each and every individual assuming the risk whenever they leave the house or interact with other people? Precautions can be taken and the risk can be limited but it’s still a risk. Yet there are millions of people leaving their house and interacting with other people every day as it is now. MLB and NBA are playing games. I hear what your saying though.

Smoking cigarettes indoors in public places and exposing everybody else is against the law.

If people put themselves at risk for COVID, they’re putting everybody else at risk too.

Smoking cigarettes indoors in public places and exposing everybody else is against the law.

If people put themselves at risk for COVID, they’re putting everybody else at risk too.

it’s an airborne virus everybody’s at risk if they are out and about. Even with masks and social distancing there still a risk. There are still lots of people out working interacting and traveling as it is now. I don’t see how letting people play sports increases the risk any more than any of these other things that are going on. But again that’s just my take you’re certainly entitled to yours. I’ll be happy if there’s basketball games on TV that I can watch or at least happier than if there aren’t.

Is not each and every individual assuming the risk whenever they leave the house or interact with other people? Precautions can be taken and the risk can be limited but it’s still a risk. Yet there are millions of people leaving their house and interacting with other people every day as it is now. MLB and NBA are playing games. I hear what your saying though.

OK, where do you calculate bad actors into your assumption of risk model?
That's a risk that may or may not be known in advance.
People are acting irrationally now, violently toward others over this.
What's your take on that in terms of people "knowingly assuming risks" just by living?

JB is from a generation that puts their boots on and heads to work no matter how they feel, how much it is snowing or whatever. The complete opposite of America today. I would expect nothing less from him. I identify with JB in this regard but I also realize it’s a good thing we don’t make the call on public health policy.
Good points. I want to see this season happen as much as anyone. But it’s an incredibly selfish desire. I do think there is potential to salvage the CBB season but the stakeholders need to get on the same page and get to work on how to do that safely—asap. The Athletic has had some thought provoking articles on this the past few days.

Last edited:
it’s an airborne virus everybody’s at risk if they are out and about. Even with masks and social distancing there still a risk. There are still lots of people out working interacting and traveling as it is now. I don’t see how letting people play sports increases the risk any more than any of these other things that are going on. But again that’s just my take you’re certainly entitled to yours. I’ll be happy if there’s basketball games on TV that I can watch or at least happier than if there aren’t.

Im ok with people being out and about while following the guidelines, and businesses enforcing the guidelines. That’s the whole point of the phased reopening. People don’t have a right to be reckless, because that puts others at greater risk and risks sabotaging the whole thing.

If you used the term Petri dish then I’m sure everything is a Petri dish to you. I’m glad you don’t have to sit in traffic and commute anymore. Go ruin some college kids lives so you can keep working from home forever.
You sound like a low information Cheeto lover. What exactly is the point you’re trying to make with your straw man attack? We are in the middle of a worldwide pandemic and unprecedented American public health crisis that we failed spectacularly to contain. Stop acting like everything is just fine. I think there’s *potential* to pull off college basketball season but it’s going to be a huge uphill battle and require serious risk mitigation that may not be possible.

You sound like a low information Cheeto lover. What exactly is the point you’re trying to make with your straw man attack? We are in the middle of a worldwide pandemic and unprecedented American public health crisis that we failed spectacularly to contain. Stop acting like everything is just fine. I think there’s *potential* to pull off college basketball season but it’s going to be a huge uphill battle and require serious risk mitigation that may not be possible.

Sorry I don’t disagree with you that much I just lose it when I hear the term petri dish drives me bonkers. Everything that doesn’t involve hiding at home is a Petri dish to some.

If you used the term Petri dish then I’m sure everything is a Petri dish to you. I’m glad you don’t have to sit in traffic and commute anymore. Go ruin some college kids lives so you can keep working from home forever.

Well said. I'm worried about the futures of these kids also.

Right. The NBA is just going to stop taking new players.

Only so many jobs open up every year in the NBA. Why replace an end of the bench guy with someone who hasn’t played competitive hoops in a year plus.

You don’t think this is a bad time to be a minor leaguer in baseball?

Only so many jobs open up every year in the NBA. Why replace an end of the bench guy with someone who hasn’t played competitive hoops in a year plus.

Baseball--MLB was in the process of closing down a quarter of the minor leagues before the pandemic. So no, it's not a good time to be a baseball minor leaguer.

Right. It’s hard to make it. So it’s nonsensical to be all “I’m worried about these kids pro careers” like CuseRunner. Those that are good enough(which isn’t many of them) will make it anyway.

My two cents.
If playing a sport puts someone at a greater risk of contacting covid than doing other acceptable things. Restaurants, Protest, Religious ceremonies, flying, shopping... all activities that dont do anything remotely close to the level of testing and precautions that college sports do than shut it down.
Focusing on college sports is a joke. These kids are 10x safer in their team environments than they are outside of them. Total crap that has zero to do with protecting the kids and everything to do with protecting the schools.
Come on. Its ok to allow kids back on campus, ok to charge full tuition for a on-line classes, but " We need to protect the health of our student athletes"
BS total crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom