JB On The Trail | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB On The Trail

Yes
I'm glad we had someone down there. Duke and Reeves would be great gets. Llewellyn is worth taking a look at and keeping tabs on, but likely a secondary recruit.

Policelli was also in Dallas. Might be a plan B type recruit, but he's a pretty interesting player.

I'm glad we had someone down there. Duke and Reeves would be great gets. Llewellyn is worth taking a look at and keeping tabs on, but likely a secondary recruit.

I've seen Reeves play a few times as his high school is about half a mile from my apartment and he's a really good player but I don't know if he would fit in with us and the zone system. He isn't much of a ball handler so it would be tough to place him as the second guard out there but he isn't tall enough to play on the bottom of the zone. Not a knock on him or our system just an observation that it may not be a great fit.

I hate to say it but each time I watched him I thought he would be perfect at Villanova. He has a long strong frame, can switch and guard multiple positions in their man to man style, is a really good shooter and is pretty disciplined and plays within himself.

I've seen Reeves play a few times as his high school is about half a mile from my apartment and he's a really good player but I don't know if he would fit in with us and the zone system. He isn't much of a ball handler so it would be tough to place him as the second guard out there but he isn't tall enough to play on the bottom of the zone. Not a knock on him or our system just an observation that it may not be a great fit.

I hate to say it but each time I watched him I thought he would be perfect at Villanova. He has a long strong frame, can switch and guard multiple positions in their man to man style, is a really good shooter and is pretty disciplined and plays within himself.
Good info. I like his game. I hope he can tighten up his handle. What about David Duke?

Yeah but let Coach go for a walk and Juli can close the deal. Would be hard to tell her no- she's so sweet
Seems like an inappropriate time for a Laurie Fine joke.

This basically confirms what Francis has been saying in his pods for awhile now that the 2 coach limit is very maneuverable and not as restrictive as some would expect.

I have to say that I disagree with your interpretation of the article. I think Waters makes it very clear that the sanctions have handicapped the program. He indicated that programs often bring multiple coaches to events because multiple games may be played at the same time. SU has the choice of seeing multiple games at one event or one game at multiple events, but not both. Other programs can watch as many as 4 games at a time, while SU can watch at most two. We should thank our lucky stars that JB was fortunate enough to have 2 kids who have happened to develop into D1 players during the period the sanctions have been in effect.

And we know that an important part of recruiting isn't just getting to evaluate the players, but to have a presence. It is very important to kids these days to see that programs are regularly watching them. That is a big part of building a relationship with a player. This in effect limits the number of kids who the program can be seen enough to be considered by the player to show that they really are interested. This is in essence, the major problem that so many people on the board have been complaining about the staff for the past few years, yet so few can see how much these particular sanctions have hampered the program as much or possibly even more than the loss of scholarships.

Anyone who can not see how massively a negative effect this particular sanction has had on the program, just does not understand the recruiting process in a way that is meaningful.

I have to say that I disagree with your interpretation of the article. I think Waters makes it very clear that the sanctions have handicapped the program. He indicated that programs often bring multiple coaches to events because multiple games may be played at the same time. SU has the choice of seeing multiple games at one event or one game at multiple events, but not both. Other programs can watch as many as 4 games at a time, while SU can watch at most two. We should thank our lucky stars that JB was fortunate enough to have 2 kids who have happened to develop into D1 players during the period the sanctions have been in effect.

And we know that an important part of recruiting isn't just getting to evaluate the players, but to have a presence. It is very important to kids these days to see that programs are regularly watching them. That is a big part of building a relationship with a player. This in effect limits the number of kids who the program can be seen enough to be considered by the player to show that they really are interested. This is in essence, the major problem that so many people on the board have been complaining about the staff for the past few years, yet so few can see how much these particular sanctions have hampered the program as much or possibly even more than the loss of scholarships.

Anyone who can not see how massively a negative effect this particular sanction has had on the program, just does not understand the recruiting process in a way that is meaningful.

I don't think it needed to have as massively negative an impact on the program as you believe and I know I have a very meaningful understanding of how the recruiting process works.

If we wanted to watch as many as 4 games at the exact same time, or have the option of multiple games at the same venue, why did we have Griffin stay home? Why not have him in NYC or at a venue with whoever was at an event solo and have the other coaches leave the gym and be more strategic?

The games that our targets played in are often staggered and not all being played at the exact same time. Does it happen occasionally? Sure, but not all the time.

And how does this explain the lack of presence during the regular season? If you are saying that such a huge part of recruiting is having a presence and we would ideally have all 4 coaches out watching players at once then why did we rarely have any coaches at all out watching recruits during the season?

And why do we repeatedly schedule the Basket Ball for one of the only open eval weekends of the year? I guess JB disagrees with your "understanding" of recruiting if he routinely does this. We'll have one coach on the road next weekend.

Your explanation and acceptance of negative circumstances describes a loser mentality.

Last edited:
I don't think it needed to have as massively negative an impact on the program as you believe and I know I have a very meaningful understanding of how the recruiting process works.

If we wanted to watch as many as 4 games at the exact same time, or have the option of multiple games at the same venue, why did we have Griffin stay home? Why not have him in NYC or at a venue with whoever was at an event solo and have the other coaches leave the gym and be more strategic?

The games that our targets played in are often staggered and not all being played at the exact same time. Does it happen occasionally? Sure, but not all the time.

And how does this explain the lack of presence during the regular season? If you are saying that such a huge part of recruiting is having a presence and we would ideally have all 4 coaches out watching players at once then why did we rarely have any coaches at all out watching recruits during the season?

And why do we repeatedly schedule the Basket Ball for one of the only open eval weekends of the year? I guess JB disagrees with your "understanding" of recruiting if he routinely does this. We'll have one coach on the road next weekend.

Your explanation and acceptance of negative circumstances describes a loser mentality.
Maybe you can explain how we could watch 4 games at the exact same time.

Maybe you can explain how we could watch 4 games at the exact same time.

You're right. I misspoke on saying if they wanted to watch 4 games at once. I should have said to make sure they could maximize the amount of games they could watch over the weekend.

I'd love to know how you figured out that the staff could watch 4 games at the exact same time and comply with the sanctions. It is well beyond my feeble mind to figure out.

Unlike other people on this board, I don't pretend to know who the staff is recruiting or prioritizing. I would hypothesize that the reason no staff were located in NYC, is because no one who was playing there is higher on their list than the kids in the other two locations. It is my understanding that the game schedules are available well in advance, so the staff would be able to schedule exactly who would be where in order to maximize their exposure, as allowed by the sanctions.

Occasionally is in the eye of the beholder. I would hazard a guess that with the number of kids that the staff have an interest in, over 2017, 2018 & 2019 this is likely to happen quite often the first few days of the events. I would also hazard a guess that the NCAA did not pluck the number 2 for the sanction out of a hat, but based upon statistics that they have that indicate it to have a significant negative effect on the program. After all, that was the intent of the sanctions. Go ahead and compare sanctions placed on other programs. You will find that these recruiting sanctions placed upon SU are amongst the harshest ever placed upon a basketball program. Look it up. I have.

This point is completely irrelevant to the discussion we are having. It has nothing to do with the article which we have been referring too.

This comment is derogatory. Completely unnecessary, and totally off base. There is no need to take things personally or attempt to steer them in that direction. This is a discussion, and all I did was disagree with your interpretation of the article in question. I would appreciate if, in the future, you stuck to the discussion at hand.

I'd love to know how you figured out that the staff could watch 4 games at the exact same time and comply with the sanctions. It is well beyond my feeble mind to figure out.

Unlike other people on this board, I don't pretend to know who the staff is recruiting or prioritizing. I would hypothesize that the reason no staff were located in NYC, is because no one who was playing there is higher on their list than the kids in the other two locations. It is my understanding that the game schedules are available well in advance, so the staff would be able to schedule exactly who would be where in order to maximize their exposure, as allowed by the sanctions.

Occasionally is in the eye of the beholder. I would hazard a guess that with the number of kids that the staff have an interest in, over 2017, 2018 & 2019 this is likely to happen quite often the first few days of the events. I would also hazard a guess that the NCAA did not pluck the number 2 for the sanction out of a hat, but based upon statistics that they have that indicate it to have a significant negative effect on the program. After all, that was the intent of the sanctions. Go ahead and compare sanctions placed on other programs. You will find that these recruiting sanctions placed upon SU are amongst the harshest ever placed upon a basketball program. Look it up. I have.

This point is completely irrelevant to the discussion we are having. It has nothing to do with the article which we have been referring too.

This comment is derogatory. Completely unnecessary, and totally off base. There is no need to take things personally or attempt to steer them in that direction. This is a discussion, and all I did was disagree with your interpretation of the article in question. I would appreciate if, in the future, you stuck to the discussion at hand.

I admitted I misspoke and should have said to watch as many games as possible. I know they couldn't watch 4 games at once.

I brought up the regular season as I feel that is very much relevant to the point I initially made in saying there was still opportunity for the staff to have a strong enough presence out on the road. Their ability to maneuver the situation by having 3 people out this past weekend pokes holes in the excuses many have relied on in their attempts to explain why we didn't go see many prospects this winter. That was what I referenced in my initial post you first quoted in regards to Francis comments. It was plenty relevant and on point with this discussion you just misinterpreted things.

We obviously disagree on how effective the staff has been in dealing with the limit of 2 members on the road. You feel that means I don't have a reasonable understanding of how recruiting works and I think your approach of more or less just shrugging your shoulders and saying woe is me isn't a mindset that maximizes success.

Hopefully we land Geno and Tucker and I think we can have a fun year. The program has some legitimate headwinds that I'm hoping we can combat to reverse our recent regular season trends and I hope the staff makes some adjustments to redirect the things.

This basically confirms what Francis has been saying in his pods for awhile now that the 2 coach limit is very maneuverable and not as restrictive as some would expect.
Francis tends to forget that coaches need to spend time coaching as well, not to mention with their families.

Last edited:
Francis tends to forget that coaches need to spend time coaching as well, not to mention with their families.
It's the off-season there's no one too coach, and if you can't go out and recruit then don't be a college coach, it's just as big of a part of the job than the X's and O's of the game. This is in no way bashing our coaching staff either, this goes for all coaches in college.

It's the off-season there's no one too coach, and if you can't go out and recruit then don't be a college coach, it's just as big of a part of the job than the X's and O's of the game. This is in no way bashing our coaching staff either, this goes for all coaches in college.
I was referring moreso to during the season. I thought the article clearly explained the limitations right now.

I know you're trying to help them out here but you're basically saying they don't want to work as hard as their peers in recruiting.
That's one way to look at it.

Nobody is asking JB or any coach to spend 24/7 recruiting, but it would be nice if our HC was at these main events that happen in specific windows. Glad he was today, but up until recently, he was far behind his peers in that area. During the season, we rarely heard anything about anybody on the staff visiting kids or seeing games. That's where the issue that some people had lies.

I hope we see more and more of JB out there in the coming months, beyond Buddy's tourneys. We need him to knock this class out of the ballpark and he's plenty capable of that.

Nobody is asking JB or any coach to spend 24/7 recruiting, but it would be nice if our HC was at these main events that happen in specific windows. Glad he was today, but up until recently, he was far behind his peers in that area. During the season, we rarely heard anything about anybody on the staff visiting kids or seeing games. That's where the issue that some people had lies.

I hope we see more and more of JB out there in the coming months, beyond Buddy's tourneys. We need him to knock this class out of the ballpark and he's plenty capable of that.

Jb was not at any of the tournaments this weekend. GMac and griff were. That's a tweet from earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom