JB ranked 6th best coach by Athlon | Syracusefan.com

JB ranked 6th best coach by Athlon

I wanted to make a Rutgers joke but honestly couldn't remember their coach and I'm a die-hard cuse (big east, now ACC) fan.

I think Coach K is clear #1, to me. I'd go with Rick P #2 After that, maybe Izzo. But I'd probably put JB 4. No way I'd have Cal ahead of him. As big a name as Self is, I really don't know as much about him compared to the other big names. It's kind of strange.

JB really needs another title. Another title would have his byline read "five FF's and two NC." That, coupled with the wins, might cement a top 5. Plus, I hate that Calhoun has three.

JB is one competitive guy. I have to think he doesn't want to step down until he gets another, or at least I'd like to think that.

I wanted to make a Rutgers joke but honestly couldn't remember their coach and I'm a die-hard cuse (big east, now ACC) fan.

I think Coach K is clear #1, to me. I'd go with Rick P #2 After that, maybe Izzo. But I'd probably put JB 4. No way I'd have Cal ahead of him. As big a name as Self is, I really don't know as much about him compared to the other big names. It's kind of strange.

It's tough to compare JB to some of the younger coaches like Self; JB's biggest calling card is his unbelievable consistency over 30 plus years, which obviously Self can't match for many more years.

Even if you take out the WAC years, Self has won 11 regular season conferences titles and 7 conference tournament titles. JB has 9 regular season conf titles and 5 conference tournament titles. You can't compare them on a one to one basis, necessarily, obviously the BE was the premier conference for the last 8-10 years, but there was also a period where that wasn't really the case.

Self has made the Elite 8 or better 7 times (2 final fours, one title), JB 6 times (4 final fours, 1 title). (btw, i pulled these numbers off scanning wiki, I may be off by one or two here or there)

I would say I am going to put JB's resume ahead of Self's right now, based on the longevity, but I could see Self passing him pretty easily. But like you said, if JB adds another title that is a huge add to to the resume.

Self is better than JB...but I also think Bill Self is a top 3 coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom