JB retirement probability by season | Syracusefan.com

JB retirement probability by season

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
It can’t go on forever. He’s been a legend. He literally is Syracuse basketball. But we all know the end to his glorious career is on the horizon. He’s my educated guess at the likelihood JB will retire at the end of these seasons:

2018-19: 15% - normally I’d put this less than 5% but I still wonder how last month’s accident changes JB
2019-20: 10% - less likely than this year. Young team and he’ll be close to winning 1,000 games (again) the following year
2020-21: 20% - could get back to 1,000 wins. May opt to hang it up and watch Buddy’s senior year from the sideline
2021-22: 54% - this is the obvious target year. He’ll get back to 1k wins if he didn’t get there in the season before
2022-23: <1% - very low chance JB stays beyond ‘22 but he’s surprised us before

What happens first? Boeheim retires, or I finish my PhD at Syracuse? (Coursework is done. Exams and dissertation are left.)

I probably have more faith in you getting your PhD

I posted this on my social media feed after last season when Boeheim committed to four more years.

Everyone picked me. TinyManInside said we’d see Zombie Boeheim out there, still coaching in 2065.

It can’t go on forever. He’s been a legend. He literally is Syracuse basketball. But we all know the end to his glorious career is on the horizon. He’s my educated guess at the likelihood JB will retire at the end of these seasons:

2018-19: 15% - normally I’d put this less than 5% but I still wonder how last month’s accident changes JB
2019-20: 10% - less likely than this year. Young team and he’ll be close to winning 1,000 games (again) the following year
2020-21: 20% - could get back to 1,000 wins. May opt to hang it up and watch Buddy’s senior year from the sideline
2021-22: 54% - this is the obvious target year. He’ll get back to 1k wins if he didn’t get there in the season before

I expect 3 more years. I hope we can at least stay at our current level for the next 3 and not hit the usual level for coach who stays too long (John Chaney, Bob Knight )

I expect 3 more years. I hope we can at least stay at our current level for the next 3 and not hit the usual level for coach who stays too long (John Chaney, Bob Knight )
Hmm, I’m hoping for more but you are probably right. We’re going to be a mediocre bubble type team for the near future.

I think JB knows he passed the 1,000 win milestone some time ago.

Suspect coaching Buddy is a much bigger factor.

when you say "stay at our current level" do you mean pretty bad? or off the cliff bad? because we are already bad.

If he decides to continue coaching i hope that he dedicates himself to putting in the time and effort to do better. To stop mailing it in on the recruiting front. To push his staff and players to improve and most importantly to take a hard look at himself.

when you say "stay at our current level" do you mean pretty bad? or off the cliff bad? because we are already bad.

I think he means at our current level...

What happens first? Boeheim retires, or I finish my PhD at Syracuse? (Coursework is done. Exams and dissertation are left.)

Honestly I don’t see you getting through a dissertation so I’m going with JB retirement!

On the graphic tonight they had him at over 1,000 wins. Guess they didn’t recognize the NCAA ruling.

I saw that and absolutely couldn’t believe it. When even the Bojangles Network is scrupulous about docking those wins and now on the NCAA State Run Media they give him back his wins, it was very entertaining!

If he decides to continue coaching i hope that he dedicates himself to putting in the time and effort to do better. To stop mailing it in on the recruiting front. To push his staff and players to improve and most importantly to take a hard look at himself.

He’s not changing. Nor is he going to suddenly ramp it up.

I genuinely believe that when he talked about a renewed energy and a hunger to win when he received a new contract a couple years ago that he was sincere. In that moment. But I think realistically that drive is difficult to maintain at his age and stage.

JB is not in the office early. He’s not pounding the pavement. We are in the twilight. I just hope we can catch lightening in a bottle one more time and he can go out with a bang and not a whimper.

if he stays...we need better players. we need uber talents that can exceed the limitations the system puts on them.

the system used to be not so rigid... go to youtube and watch some old tourney games vs UNC / Illinois / etc.

I would bump next year up to 33%. I wouldn’t put the significance of 44 years at such a low %

I’d guess 100% he is done when Buddy is done. Only reason I can see him staying longer is if we were a too 10 caliber team the following season

If Boeheim doesn't want to retire, he ought to do what Calhoun has done and coach at a lower level where the hours and effort are less, where talent disparities are less, where recruiting is less stressful, and he can roll out the same game strategies he has been for the past twenty years with greater success. Every extra year he stays he damages his own legacy and makes things tougher for the next guy. I think we'll be reading and hearing a lot about drastic changes in the program culture from players and coaches once he's gone.

Jim Boeheim is 74 years old.
That is insane when it’s written down.
Next year he will be the oldest HC ever in division 1 history passing John Cheney who coached till he was 74.

We need changes on the staff. The status quo isn’t working.
The 100% zone needs to be tweaked.
The only playing 7 guys makes sense when you have 7 really good players and the 8th-12th aren’t as good.
The only playing 7 excuses the fact our bench guys really aren’t that different from our starters but the damn HC doesn’t care.
The lack of adjustments last night was just continuing what has been. We don’t change anything and just say to the opponent figure us out and if you do then you will win.

I have had no problem with 100% zone in the past, but in todays game, we need to be able to come out of it for a few minutes here and there to give the other team a different look on D. JB has earned the right to stay until Buddy has graduated, but the game is has changed. Kids can shoot the 3 on a regular basis...and he has lost his recruiting edge to some degree. Rarely to legends go out on top of their game. Coach K might go out on top, but he is doing it by selling his soul to the one-and-done's, but that's not JB.

Good luck. Don’t know many 74 year old guys who reinvent themselves or find more gas in the tank.

I disagree with people who say JB has earned the right to stay until Buddy has graduated. He has done a wonderful job over a long time and deserves all the honors and recognition he can get, but this is still a result driven profession. Everybody leaves, but when they leave and how they leave are their real legacies. I make no judgment as to his effort or abilities but he must face a couple of realities. One, he is aging and it doesn't appear he has it in him (or he is unwilling) to adapt to a changing game, and two, the results have just not been there both in recruiting and in the win column. There are still very few coaches who can do more with less but I'd like to think we should be starting with more tools in the shed. I hope we can see some improvement next year but if not, maybe there should be some internal discussions going on up on the Hill.

I think the chances of JB staying on after Buddy graduates is much higher. Maybe around 50%.

He might be one of those coaches who never wants to retire and will always find a reason to keep going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom