JB saying Frank is all league is... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB saying Frank is all league is...

Word. Cap is awesome.
Big fan of folks with no filter.

BTW, I do have a good number of them, I just am not allowed to mention them. ;)

Being it's Christmas time, I suppose I'm allowed a brief analogy to Jesus and his main opposition, pharisees(the religious leaders of his time, who cared more about the written law than its spirit). Ok, that's it, short post lol

Frank, on the other hand, you can see he's caught more of the spirit this season. I think it's really helped his game, similar to some of what Beadle wrote about in the past. He's still got a good ways to go, but the good news is that he now appears to be on the right path. Sometimes it just happens, and we arent sure why. There's little time before we leave, it's important to catch the wave and ride it when it's there, so happy Frank appears to be doing so. Like a surfer though, it's an ongoing process, a lot of balance and lacking of any entitlement. Sometimes you wipe out...but then you have a chance to paddle and seek your next crest if you dont mind the effort.

Last edited:
JB could be avoiding fast breaking a ton due to lack of bench, but I'm not an expert, so take it with a grain of salt. The press could be benefitted with the bench even more, but I think when he does use it, it's usually in his eyes more of a necessity than the fast break would be. I think he may be trying to preventing the FB from becoming a habit(unless it's easily there) for times when he needs/wants to apply the foot on the gas on defense. That's my humble take.

Great post Bees. Frank's made the sophomore leap but he did it in his junior year. There's no comparison from him last year to this year. He's a totally different guy. He's the clear leader on the floor and likely in the locker room. This is the first year he's ever run a team. But this stuff about how he's slow, his handle is loose, he's this he's that, JB is coddling him because he's mentally fragile, let's wait to see how he does against ACC guards, Washington would be better, he should be a 2 guard -- it's endless and it's group think. If Frank makes the Rakeem leap next year, he will be all league. Some guys just take longer. Last night there were even some ppl banging on him at halftime. It's ridiculous. Enough already.
Nice post. HE IS our team leader. HE is 3rd in the conference in assists on a team who can't shoot. Kid has been awesome. Our best at getting to the hoop. There isn't a team in the acc who wouldn't want him. Such a really sad fanbase we have become.

And LOL to those who think quade would have dented Frank's minutes. Maybe 2 to 5. Tops

Last edited:
see I don't agree with this, at least not completely. I mean, yeah his shooting #s indicate he isn't a very good shooter - but he has really good form on his shot. I'd say there's probably a mental block of some kind that's preventing him from maximizing his shooting potential, and bringing up his #s
At this point he is at best an average shooter. Frank needs to continue to use his height,length, and strength and attack the rim.

BTW, I do have a good number of them, I just am not allowed to mention them. ;)

Being it's Christmas time, I suppose I'm allowed a brief analogy to Jesus and his main opposition, pharisees(the religious leaders of his time, who cared more about the written law than its spirit). Ok, that's it, short post lol

Frank, on the other hand, you can see he's caught more of the spirit this season. I think it's really helped his game, similar to some of what Beadle wrote about in the past. He's still got a good ways to go, but the good news is that he now appears to be on the right path. Sometimes it just happens, and we arent sure why. There's little time before we leave, it's important to catch the wave and ride it when it's there, so happy Frank appears to be doing so. Like a surfer though, it's an ongoing process, a lot of balance and lacking of any entitlement. Sometimes you wipe out...but then you have a chance to paddle and seek your next crest if you dont mind the effort.
Lets send Frank a copy of Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance for Christmas.

If JB wanted to be a fast break team we would be. We have good athletes.
The question, then, is what advantage does he see with the slow tempo? Did he wake up one morning and decide he wanted to be Wisconsin east?

The question, then, is what advantage does he see with the slow tempo? Did he wake up one morning and decide he wanted to be Wisconsin east?

You should call into his show and ask. Make sure to phrase it as he slowed things down once frank became the PG. His answer should be a great listen.

You should call into his show and ask. Make sure to phrase it as he slowed things down once frank became the PG. His answer should be a great listen.
This didn’t start with frank and nobody is suggesting that. It started with Ennis but it’s not a personnel thing. We had a pretty decent fast break Sims senior year and he was the slowest man on earth.

The coach that’s been here 42 years tried to recruit over him and played a 5-9 PG in a 2-3 zone over him last year.

He struck out with a top PG in recruiting and is forced to build him up and play him because the alternative is another PG who had offers from Canisius and low major levels.

Until we get a PG, or someone who can dictate tempo and run an offense, our offense will be similar to what we have now. Only asterisk I will add is Bazley might be good enough to help us overcome even the Frank deficiency. A combination of that and Carey potentially being a lead guard, too.
Key wording here being “LAST year”. Frank is not the same person or player this year than last.
Not for nothing, but it seems like some folks have this disturbing anti-Frank bias that clouds all rational thought, and keeps them from seeing things in perspective.
IMHO, he’s not nearly as horrible as you make him out to be, and this team has had many other prominent issues besides the “Frank deficiency”.
He’s the PG, for better or worse.
Let. It. Go. :rolleyes:

As usual, the truth is somewhere in between the extreme views expressed on this board. Is Frank a great point guard? No, but I think he’s pretty good but flawed point guard. I do think a good part of the reason we don’t fast break is that Frank’s handle is dicey and he’s not a natural lead guard. I. Always happier when we pull the ball back out on a unsettled play b3cause I have zero confidence in our transition offense. And Frank sometimes makes mind-bogglingly bad decisions with the ball. But he brings a lot of offense for a guy whose jumper is average at best and he plays pretty good defense (an underrated part of the Bonaventure game is that he got too passive once he got his second foul in the first half and didn’t up his defensive intensity until the second half).

Whether he’s a PG on a top 25 team is a flawed question. With a loaded team, you can put a near-zero at the point and still be a top 25 team (See, e.g., Syracuse 1989-90). The truth is, we don’t have top 25 talent around our point guard right now. Other than Frank, there are a grand total of two guys who can score at all. I don’t think we’ll sniff the top 25 at all this year, but Frank is pretty far down the list of reasons why.

Sometimes JB says things in press conferences that he doesn't believe, but saying them serves other purposes.

Often his audience is the lockerroom, but fans here these things and take them as gospel.

He believes he has to build up Frank...so he's going to praise him.

He's said a lot crazier things than that over the years.

it seems like some folks have this disturbing anti-Frank bias that clouds all rational thought, and keeps them from seeing things in perspective.
I think years of offensive stagnation and plodding tempo gives plenty of perspective. As much as we all criticize frank, I hope we realize the greater fault for this predicament lies up the chain.

We can’t run a transition offense. Who goes in for Tyus and Oshae when they’re wheezing? We simply arent deep enough.

Our best transition offenses, historically, have been our deepest.

As usual, the truth is somewhere in between the extreme views expressed on this board. Is Frank a great point guard? No, but I think he’s pretty good but flawed point guard. I do think a good part of the reason we don’t fast break is that Frank’s handle is dicey and he’s not a natural lead guard. I. Always happier when we pull the ball back out on a unsettled play b3cause I have zero confidence in our transition offense. And Frank sometimes makes mind-bogglingly bad decisions with the ball. But he brings a lot of offense for a guy whose jumper is average at best and he plays pretty good defense (an underrated part of the Bonaventure game is that he got too passive once he got his second foul in the first half and didn’t up his defensive intensity until the second half).

Whether he’s a PG on a top 25 team is a flawed question. With a loaded team, you can put a near-zero at the point and still be a top 25 team (See, e.g., Syracuse 1989-90). The truth is, we don’t have top 25 talent around our point guard right now. Other than Frank, there are a grand total of two guys who can score at all. I don’t think we’ll sniff the top 25 at all this year, but Frank is pretty far down the list of reasons why.

For the most part, I like your middle ground take. How many point guards at the college level are flawed in one way or another? Just about all of them. It's the most difficult position on the floor by far. With few exceptions they're all a work in progress. Lazarus Sims: great handle, bad shot, wimpy defense, good in transition and in the half court. Had one good year. McW: poor shot, good defense, average at best in the half court, good transition, lousy shot selection. Silent G: Not a natural lead guard, good defense, ok handle, below average in half court, shot improved over time. Ennis: Good shot, good handle, mediocre defense, couldn't (or wouldn't) run a FB. Gillon: Pretty bad at just about everything except the occasional dramatic shot. Triche: Good handle, good defense, average shot, reluctant to take control. Scoop: Love the revisionist history on him (not) but the main thing is he improved over time. Hart: Don't get me started on him.

Frank's a work in progress, no different than 99% of points at the college level. JB has said (at least I think he said) that there are no point or 2 guards, there are just guards. That seems like the right take. And, as you suggested, Frank's productive, which is the bottom line, isn't it? I'll take a productive, competitive player that creates wins (as Frank does right now) any day. Like the guy who hits .260 but is a tough out in the late innings when it counts.

Last edited:

I agree with much if this post, but the comment about Frank getting too passive is so telling about your belief and maddening. I wonder why Frank got passive with two fouls in the first half... Could it be BECAUSE HIS COACH TOLD HIM TO PLAY THAT WAY?

Come on guys. Blame Frank for his faults (stupid passes to 7'3" guys who can't maintain their position or go get the damned ball) but blame the coach for strategy decisions. Frank was obviously told don't get your 3rd foul. And Frank has obviously been told only push the ball when there is no one on the defense there.

And Frank has obviously been told only push the ball when there is no one on the defense there.
I don't know about this. Often this year and last you can see JB over on the sideline exhorting the team to push it up upon a steal/rebound

We can’t run a transition offense. Who goes in for Tyus and Oshae when they’re wheezing? We simply arent deep enough.

2010 we played 7, and were deadly in transition.

Difference was our 6 and 7 were just as good as our starters and were good enough to play 30 minutes or more if needed.

We don’t need to have a ton of players, we just need more good players IMO.

For the most part, I like your middle ground take. How many point guards at the college level are flawed in one way or another? Just about all of them. It's the most difficult position on the floor by far. With few exceptions they're all a work in progress. Lazarus Sims: great handle, bad shot, wimpy defense, good in transition and in the half court. Had one good year. McW: poor shot, good defense, average at best in the half court, good transition, lousy shot selection. Silent G: Not a natural lead guard, good defense, ok handle, below average in half court, shot improved over time. Ennis: Good shot, good handle, mediocre defense, couldn't (or wouldn't) run a FB. Gillon: Pretty bad at just about everything except the occasional dramatic shot. Triche: Good handle, good defense, average shot, reluctant to take control. Scoop: Love the revisionist history on him (not) but the main thing is he improved over time. Hart: Don't get me started on him.

Frank's a work in progress, no different than 99% of points at the college level...
I'll take a productive, competitive player that creates wins (as Frank does right now) any day...
Like the guy who hits .260 but is a tough out in the late innings when it counts.
Good post.
As an example, Raphael Santana was starting shortstop for the ‘86 NY Metsies (The greatest team in the history of sports, btw ;)), and hit 218. Yet, in tough spots throughout the Championship run, he always came up with a key defensive play, or a key hit. Of course there was enough talent around him that his shortcomings didn’t doom the team, but he also bought a lot of intangibles to the table.
Again, Frank has faults & is obviously working with limited talent around him, but how about we acknowledge some of the positives he’s exhibited, instead of the constant fixation with his negatives? Just sayin...

I don't know about this. Often this year and last you can see JB over on the sideline exhorting the team to push it up upon a steal/rebound

I saw Roberson run the floor for 4 years and almost never receive a lead pass for a break. JB wants them to hurry to set up the offense before the defense sets but he's only looking to push if it's uncontested.

I saw Roberson run the floor for 4 years and almost never receive a lead pass for a break. JB wants them to hurry to set up the offense before the defense sets but he's only looking to push if it's uncontested.
Eh, we disagree on that. Moreso last year than this but he def wants them to push in transition when possible (i.e., 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 breaks)

Hard to run with a point guard with a suspect handle and no clue how to handle two-on-ones in the open court.

Maybe if that was fact.

Put down the eggnog. We used to run for many years whether we went 6,7, or 8 deep. It’s not a personnel thing. JB just doesn’t want to run anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom