JB | Syracusefan.com

JB

B

BillSU

Why would anyone think JB would retire per NCAA recommendation at the end of next year? It would surprise me if he does. The man has spent 41 years coaching this team to national prominence and stayed there almost every year he’s been here. Amazing coaching! Do you think he’s ready to say “so long folks” and hit the golf course after 2018’s last game? I surely don’t think it’s going to play out that way.

I believe JB has a lot more coaching left in him and is going to want to stay on for however long he wants to. And I don’t think the chancellor or AD are going to tell him he must go because they respect the man and what he’s done here.

IMHO, he‘s going to go on his terms when he wants to unless they take away all his wins, (duh), – we really didn’t play basketball games we were just scrimmaging the teams and then he’d probably still not go – what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone think JB would retire per NCAA recommendation at the end of next year? It would surprise me if he does. The man has spent 41 years coaching this team to national prominence and stayed there almost every year he’s been here, amazing coaching. Do you think he’s ready to say “so long folks” and hit the golf course after 2018’s last game? I surely don’t think it’s going to play out that way.

I believe JB has a lot more coaching left in him and is going to want to stay on for however long he wants to. And I don’t think the chancellor or AD are going to tell him he must go because they respect the man what he’s done here.

IMHO, he‘s going to go on his terms when he wants to unless they take away all his wins, (duh), – we really didn’t play basketball games we were just scrimmaging the teams and then he’d probably still not go – what do you think?
Thanks for posting. This hasn't been discussed much. I'm going to go with him retiring after next season.

NCAA recommendation for retirement? This is the first I've heard of it.

ancient-aliens-guy.jpg

Why would anyone think JB would retire per NCAA recommendation at the end of next year? It would surprise me if he does. The man has spent 41 years coaching this team to national prominence and stayed there almost every year he’s been here, amazing coaching. Do you think he’s ready to say “so long folks” and hit the golf course after 2018’s last game? I surely don’t think it’s going to play out that way.

I believe JB has a lot more coaching left in him and is going to want to stay on for however long he wants to. And I don’t think the chancellor or AD are going to tell him he must go because they respect the man what he’s done here.

I agree with all of what you say. Why WOULD he do it? He wouldn't, and doesn't want to.

But the choice might be out of his hands, based upon what the University wants and how they prefer to proceed. That's outside of JB's control.

Didn't he say as much 2 years ago? He said if there wasn't an NCAAinvestigation he would have been retired already.
yes. and he also said in an interview with jay bilas and the three lesser acc coaches recently that he doesn't think any competitive coach ever wants to retire

What if a school such as Indiana says 5 years $30 million, $7 million bonus for an NC, $5 million for final fours?

What if a school such as Indiana says 5 years $30 million, $7 million bonus for an NC, $5 million for final fours?
Do you really think another big time school would take him at age 71, warts and all? Do you think they don't see what the people here see? And he is defended here so much because he is SU basketball. He won't be anyplace else.

Do you really think another big time school would take him at age 71, warts and all? Do you think they don't see what the people here see? And he is defended here so much because he is SU basketball. He won't be anyplace else.
Most people I meet on the outside don't see the warts. That has been my experience living on the west coast. All they see is the wins and wish they had them. The reality is he is 72 years old and the idea that he would leave and go somewhere else is just so ridiculous. I mean all you have to do is watch that Men of March thing. The guy has been going to the same barber for like 50 years and the same rundown ice cream parlor that his own kids say isn't very good for probably 30 years. The idea that he would uproot himself just makes no sense to me. Honestly he is going to retire next year and what I'm hoping happens is he misses basketball a lot and decides to do some color work for ESPN or work for them in some capacity. They could team him with Bilas and some play by play guy. He would love it talking basketball and watching games. I think he would be really good at that. That would keep him out there and involved and I think he would be great at it and probably show people a side to him the national audience is not familiar with. Which would help Syracuse basketball as a whole in terms of visibility. He could also work that around his kids high schools games that he seems to enjoy going to.

We will see.

So if there was to be a permanent NCAA investigation would that that mean Boeheim would coach until death do us part? Ok NCAA investigate as long as you like...

Next year is his last. The chancelor has already made it known. I'm not sure why there is so much talk about him coming back to SU after next year. If he comes back, it won't be at SU.
Does Boeheim seem like the type of guy who would have a full farewell season?

Here is a novel idea and is probably pretty far fetched. Could JB "retire" from coaching but still be involved in recruiting? Now he is the "closer" as much that his duties as head coach keeps him busy, but could he use that winning personality that he shows to national audiences to recruit? Personally, I think an ESPN gig would be the best.

If I am him, I retire completely. No ESPN, no "recruiting" job, nothing. Just retire and relax. Finances should not be an issue. 72 years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom