JB's comment about coach K and Duke | Syracusefan.com

JB's comment about coach K and Duke

miamicuse

Starter
SI.com has this article about how Syracuse honored coach K during the game. It included a few quotes from JB,

Syracuse, Jim Boeheim Honor Mike Krzyzewski in Pregame Ceremony

What I found interesting is the last paragraph when JB stated:

"I’ve enjoyed the challenge of coaching Syracuse against his Duke teams over the years – no coach prepares his players for big games better than Mike. I’ll look forward to a few more opportunities to do that next season."

Does "a few more opportunities to do that next season" mean next season is his last? Or am I reading too much into it and all he meant was next season will be a few more opportunities, then the season after that will be a few more opportunities, and so on...?

It means he will coach next season. I don’t take it at all that he meant it would be his last by what he said, even if it is. Not even sure how you would infer this from that. But it won’t be against K.

SI.com has this article about how Syracuse honored coach K during the game. It included a few quotes from JB,

Syracuse, Jim Boeheim Honor Mike Krzyzewski in Pregame Ceremony

What I found interesting is the last paragraph when JB stated:

"I’ve enjoyed the challenge of coaching Syracuse against his Duke teams over the years – no coach prepares his players for big games better than Mike. I’ll look forward to a few more opportunities to do that next season."

Does "a few more opportunities to do that next season" mean next season is his last? Or am I reading too much into it and all he meant was next season will be a few more opportunities, then the season after that will be a few more opportunities, and so on...?

the phrase that jumped out to me was "against his Duke teams". Is he going to get a few more opportunities to that next season?

I would assume that that was a statement made before this season and that this is "next season", meaning that the statement is about Coach K's retirement, not JB's.

the phrase that jumped out to me was "against his Duke teams". Is he going to get a few more opportunities to that next season?

I would assume that that was a statement made before this season and that this is "next season", meaning that the statement is about Coach K's retirement, not JB's.
You are absolutely right.

I did some digging and found these quotes were made by JB in June of 2021.

I just didn't expect an article written by SI yesterday about the coach K pregame ceremony to honor him would use old quotes and that last sentence threw me off even though it sounded odd the "few more opportunities" wouldn't be against K.

He’s going to be coaching as a 78 year old next year. No matter what he might tell people privately about how long he wants to coach, I’m sure he realizes he’s on a year to year basis at this point.

You are absolutely right.

I did some digging and found these quotes were made by JB in June of 2021.

I just didn't expect an article written by SI yesterday about the coach K pregame ceremony to honor him would use old quotes and that last sentence threw me off even though it sounded odd the "few more opportunities" wouldn't be against K.

Somebody said that I'm absolutely right!!! :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom