JB's Postgame Presser | Colgate | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Postgame Presser | Colgate

Read my post. Hes different. Lost his fire.
I agree with his analysis of our poor offense, particularly in the first half—not getting any offensive movement or penetration and jacking up way too many 3s, Joe taking too many bad shots/forced 3s. I think that should improve dramatically as the season goes on. I liked what I saw out of Benny and Judah.

But his “analysis” of the defense and his decision to go with the zone full-time is awful. JB: “I can’t emphasize enough how difficult they are to play against with the zone…90 percent of the teams [we play] are nowhere near as good as Colgate against the zone.” Then why in god’s name did you abandon the man-to-man after a grand total of 5 minutes and never try to go back to it when we were getting torched from 3 playing zone?!? He said he was committed to playing man to man defense this year and then he abandons it after 5 minutes in a tough game. I get trying to switch to zone to see how that goes, but then we got torched worse playing zone because Colgate is a great 3-point shooting team and moves the ball really well. As another poster said, why didn’t he adjust the man and instruct our players to run their guys off the three point line? You have to adjust within the defense, not just abandon it completely. And you certainly try going back to it again when the zone starts getting torched. He always acts like our players are incapable of playing man, which is utter nonsense. You think Izzo or Self or most any coach couldn’t figure out a way to play man defense with this squad? Come on. I think the simple fact of the matter is that he’s now a bad man-to-man coach because his knowledge and feel for it has atrophied being that he hasn’t really taught it in so long.

Last edited:
They owe him a glorious sendoff. We can agree to disagree. Syracuse - 46 years of Jim Boeheim = St Bonaventure
Hey guy, I assume you’re aware that we made the Final Four in 1975, the year BEFORE JB became head coach, and were on the upswing as a program under Danforth? I’m not saying that JB isn’t a better coach than Roy, but stop acting like Syracuse was a mid major.

Last edited:
During the presser he rails on the offense and seems to think the D wasn't that bad, but Colgate dropped 80 on us at home. Claims the O was horrible. Where did he think the offense was going to come from this year? Was the hope that Joey G starts dialing in his half court chucks and we bury teams from mid court? Or that the freshman channel inner Melo and we ride the 18 year olds to glory? Hope becoming a strategy it seams. Lack of portal pounding for a scorer is coming home to roost.

He came off as a passive observer of the game, not someone who has a direct impact on it.

This roster is entirely his doing. He wanted a ton of freshmen, and didn't want any impact portal guys.

If we can't play man - a defense that every player on this team grew up playing - it's on him. If we can't play zone - the defense he has always said takes a long time to master - it's on him.

If we can't run a functional offensive system - something that might be challenging to do while you incorporate 5 or 6 1st year players into the mix - it's on him.

That presser was 10 minutes of shrugged shoulders and "eh, what can you do?". No one should be blamed if they don't want to endure the time, expense and effort of watching this team if that's the attitude.

Last edited:
He came off as a passive observer of the game, not someone who has a direct impact on it.

This roster is entirely his doing. He wanted a ton of freshmen, and didn't want any impact portal guys.

If we can't play man - a defense that every player on this team grew up playing - it's on him. If we can't play zone - the defense he had said forever takes a long time to master - it's on him.

If we can't run a functional offensive system - something that might be challenging to do while you incorporate 5 or 6 1st year players into the mix - it's on him.

That presser was 10 minutes of shrugged shoulders and "eh, what can you do?". No one should be blamed if they don't want to endure the time, expense and effort of watching this team if that's the attitude.

The offense is so perplexing. A couple ball screens and iso while Jesse tries to post and everyone else stands around. I mean in what world, at the college level, is this ever ok?

SU owes everything to JB. I disagree. The school isn't the school without what he's done for 45 years on the Hill. You are crazy to be so myopic.

What they owe him the most is a succession plan. A lifetime tenure never works. They can figure out a way to make this elegant.

He was a successful basketball coach that got paid to do what he loves for several decades. I think that's a fair trade off. It's not like he was volunteering his time here out of the goodness of his heart.

He was already given an elegant succession plan. They already did that. The time for that is past.

The offense is so perplexing. A couple ball screens and iso while Jesse tries to post and everyone else stands around. I mean in what world, at the college level, is this ever ok?
I don’t think that’s entirely JB’s doing. The players weren’t executing and were standing around and jacking up a bunch of bad 3s in the first half. As he said, Sy wasn’t looking to penetrate at all, and Judah struggled early in the game. Shot selection was bad. We ran lots of screening actions against Lehigh and got pretty good movement. But it’s true JB’s offensive sets desperately need a creative rejuvenation.

He was a successful basketball coach that got paid to do what he loves for several decades. I think that's a fair trade off. It's not like he was volunteering his time here out of the goodness of his heart.

He was already given an elegant succession plan. They already did that. The time for that is past.
He is pretty heavily underpaid relative to performance, maybe not the last 9 years, but for the 20+ years after his first FF, he was getting paid like a mid major to coach a leading D1 program

I don’t think that’s entirely JB’s doing. The players weren’t executing and were standing around and jacking up a bunch of bad 3s in the first half.

That is coaching and that is on him.

Not only that, he has TWO probations under his watch. Maybe they weren't the worst of the worst, but he still got to keep his job after two probations and at least one failed transition plan.

SU owes everything to JB. I disagree. The school isn't the school without what he's done for 45 years on the Hill. You are crazy to be so myopic.

What they owe him the most is a succession plan. A lifetime tenure never works. They can figure out a way to make this elegant.
Elegant?? This coaching transition has been about as elegant as a bunch of hippos trying to do ballet.

Last edited:
“Colgate has better shooters than any team we’ll play this year”

Uh huh.
I posted this in the postgame discussion thread, but he said the same damn thing in the postgame presser after last year's debacle vs. 'Gate. And we know how last year worked out. Are we headed to another losing season?

Last edited:

I get a bit squeamish when someone gets held up as THE reason for success. Boeheim has been the overwhelmingly biggest factor, no doubt. But others played a non-trivial role as well.

Jake C. got the program into the Big East, and moved it into the Dome -- both things JB didn't really want to do.

Dozens of great players committed their blood, sweat and tears to the program. Jim coached them, but they performed.

JB reportedly was given an elegant succession plan several years ago. A close confidant and lifelong SU guy was going to take over the program. JB had coached to the ripe age of 72. It was all there for the doing, but Jim balked. That's on him.

The last thing I want to see is SU treat Boeheim poorly in public. There is absolutely no need for that. But it really is long past time to move on and try someone new to reinvigorate things.

A few years ago I would've agreed that SU "owed" Jim, but at this point I think we're all square.

I don’t think that’s entirely JB’s doing. The players weren’t executing and were standing around and jacking up a bunch of bad 3s in the first half. As he said, Sy wasn’t looking to penetrate at all, and Judah struggled early in the game. Shot selection was bad. We ran lots of screening actions against Lehigh and got pretty good movement. But it’s true JB’s offensive sets desperately need a creative rejuvenation.

Colgate looked like they took a cue from UVA and dropped into their version of the packline. Once that happened it seemed there was little to no adjustment at all from coach or players. So I do agree.. but also don't understand why the moment that realization came to be why there wasn't a plan b. Also the low energy just drives me crazy. He just is nearly emotionless besidss his usual crabby stares on the bench, Gerry and Red the same and the team echoes that on the court.

His bucket list is complete having coached his sons. He should have retired after last season. A calm and collected Boeheim during the game after major gaffes says it all. Bell, Brown, and Taylor, and possibly Copeland are redshirts on any decent D1 team, but a lack of talent forces them to play. This group has no idea how to play zone, there's no communication and energy. Colgate is all about three point shooting, so you defend the perimeter at all cost and give up everything inside. How difficult is that? These are not athletes who can beat you off the dribble and get to the basket.

Yeah the defense wasn’t bad lol. Does he really think fans are that dumb. Even when they missed it was mostly luck because we didn’t identify shooters at all and Edwards let the fat guy carve him up with his passing.

There guys drained wide open 3's, our guys clank wide open 3's.

We didn't create many open ones at all.

We have guys take a number of wide open three's during a game and they all clankity clank clank clank. Joe had several. Benny had one, Bunch's was wide open.

It was inexcusable, someone posted in the game thread, I think 917, that it always looks like SU is playing 4 on 6. The SU offense is basic AF and relies on talented players to outplay inferior athletes. That ain't happening. Judah would drive and two-step into a crowded paint and have no clue as to where to go when he encountered bodies. There were only a handful of good shots off of multiple passes that looked like designed basketball plays. I'm a big Jesse defender, but if he spins one more time away from the basket against smaller defenders, I'm going to smash a window.

Re: JB's comment about the zone doing some good things.

Here is Colgate's points per possession on offense according to barttorvik.com so far this year.

at Buffalo: 1.02 (87 points, 85 possessions)
at Brown: 1.08 (77, 71)
Wells College (Division 3): 1.21 (93, 77)*
at Syracuse: 1.19 (80, 67)**

*Colgate's starters played no more than 24 minutes vs. Wells.

**Colgate could have named its score last night, but thankfully they ran clock during the final five minutes after breaking the full court pressure. Cuse allowed them to run clock most of that time while sitting back in the 2-3 and not even bothering to try to trap and force turnovers.

We are closer to Wells College than Brown. Wells College...the Express.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom