JB's Presser after ODU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after ODU

As good as our FB program is getting is as bad as our Bb is getting.

Never let Hop go.

Did just imply that Buffalo is going to kick SUs arse? Well at least he still knows who we can beat but the exhibition season is over.

head coach should be able to tell you why his big men can't score. you work with them every day.
he shrugs it off with "i don't know". you've had these kids in the program for several years. ?.

There’s the lack of accountability that FrancoPizza was talking about in the thread I started.

"We don't box out in the zone. We play an area."
I've heard/read stories of him saying this, but never heard him saying it directly. Yowza.

I'm conflicted on his tone. On one hand, it was nice to see him handle it with grace and without 'indignation,' and on the other hand it seemed like a guy resigned to a certain fate and not caring so much about it. Hate to say it, but Buddy is our 'sentence.'

That’s awful. I hate to say this, but I don’t know if he lasts three more years to be sent off at the same time as Buddy. That’s a line that a coach says when they know the end is near.

You’re conceding that you won’t do what it takes or make an adjustment to be successful.

Pathetic.

That’s awful. I hate to say this, but I don’t know if he lasts three more years to be sent off at the same time as Buddy. That’s a line that a coach says when they know the end is near.

You’re conceding that you won’t do what it takes or make an adjustment to be successful.

Pathetic.
But, he's been saying that for a long time. Like he says something like, 'it doesn't matter if we shoot a low FT percentage because we shoot more of them than the opponent.' Or, 'we don't have game day shootarounds because one of our players twisted an ankle in one 30 years ago.' Lots of nonsensical stuff from our 'genius.'

But, back to the rebounding thing... I wonder how that makes sense to him, since 'an area' is a static thing, but the ball, and the opponents are quite dynamic...

We’re never going to get much offense from Pascal other than ft’s or an alley oop. His low post moves are laughable. Our offense as a team is so bad again if someone isn’t hitting shots were gonna lose.
No one's asking him to be wilt but when you have a 0 foot layup make it. When the ball hits you in the dann hands catch it. Is that asking too much?

No one's asking him to be wilt but when you have a 0 foot layup make it. When the ball hits you in the dann hands catch it. Is that asking too much?
Exactly my point . Im not a fan of the centers they recruit , some , but definitely not all.

we had the superior athletes on the court. so why do we fall ? i'd guess planning and execution.

ODU collectively was faster up and down the court. We were trying to catch up to them at times during the press.

Stop recruiting raw beanpoles!

Here is the question I wish someone would ask, “Coach, after the Northeastern game, you stated that we rely on dribble penetration against MTM. Howard, Hughes and Brissett were all unable to beat their guy off the bounce. If this continues, what adjustments can the team make to be more successful offensive ly?”

The thing that concerns me the most is Howard. Never the quickest, he just cannot turn the corner. And, on that breakaway, the ODU guy went by him like he was standing still.

Is there a chance that he will not get back to 100%? He clearly is not yet himself and it is 6 weeks after his original return date.

Battle can get into the lane and so can Carey. That is it right now.

Tough to rely on dribble penetration when nobody can penetrate.

Last edited:
Frank is not close to the player he was last year. He doesn't penetrate to the rim to create shots. He doesn't score except for an occasional 3 pointer which is not his strength. His quickness may not return for weeks or maybe not even this season. Cary makes freshman mistakes but the team plays at a faster tempo when he's in and he gives us another scoring dimension. But seems JB will sink or swim with Frank.

Here is the question I wish someone would ask, “Coach, after the Northeastern game, you stated that we rely on dribble penetration against MTM. Howard, Hughes and Brissett were all unable to beat their guy off the bounce. If this continues, what adjustments can the team make to be more successful offensive ly?”

The thing that concerns me the most is Howard. Never the quickest, he just cannot turn the corner. And, on that breakaway, the ODU guy went by him like he was standing still.

Is there a chance that he will not get back to 100%? He clearly is not yet himself and it is 6 weeks after his original return date.

Battle can get into the lane and so can Carey. That is it right now.

Tough to rely on dribble penetration when nobody can penetrate.
Sounds like some of my friends who are scared to call and ask him

don’t act like there’s not an opportunity to ask

Everybody says that, but with the exception of the Battle matchup I’m not so sure. OB performs like a decent 6th man on a mid-major and Carey only saw 9 min.
you're saying old dominion is outrecruiting SYRACUSE ? so it's time for coach to go ?

you're saying old dominion is outrecruiting SYRACUSE ? so it's time for coach to go ?
No, what I said was that aside from Battle it did not look like we had the superior athletes. I suppose you could argue Hughes maybe.

No, what I said was that aside from Battle it did not look like we had the superior athletes. I suppose you could argue Hughes maybe.

Agreed.

but isn't getting better players/athletes the main point of recruiting ? aside from family of course ?
if we are truly competing with old dominion for talent then the program as we know it is lost.

Last edited:
The offense is a mess. There's no clear plan other than constant pick and rolls with big men who aren't a scoring threat. Very frustrating. Hope they can improve.

Frank is not close to the player he was last year. He doesn't penetrate to the rim to create shots. He doesn't score except for an occasional 3 pointer which is not his strength. His quickness may not return for weeks or maybe not even this season. Cary makes freshman mistakes but the team plays at a faster tempo when he's in and he gives us another scoring dimension. But seems JB will sink or swim with Frank.

Such a stubborn move to stick with Frank.

For this team to be really good, this team needs last year's Frank.

I agree with JB giving him every opportunity to get back to being last year's Frank...

At some point, however, (and for me that point is when we start ACC play), if Frank is still not getting any better, he is going to have to make the move to JC...

If we are going to be a dribble-drive offense, then we need a point guard who can turn the corner and get into the lane...

"We don't box out in the zone. We play an area."
I've heard/read stories of him saying this, but never heard him saying it directly. Yowza.

I'm conflicted on his tone. On one hand, it was nice to see him handle it with grace and without 'indignation,' and on the other hand it seemed like a guy resigned to a certain fate and not caring so much about it. Hate to say it, but Buddy is our 'sentence.'

Really? You think he doesn't care?

But, he's been saying that for a long time. Like he says something like, 'it doesn't matter if we shoot a low FT percentage because we shoot more of them than the opponent.' Or, 'we don't have game day shootarounds because one of our players twisted an ankle in one 30 years ago.' Lots of nonsensical stuff from our 'genius.'

But, back to the rebounding thing... I wonder how that makes sense to him, since 'an area' is a static thing, but the ball, and the opponents are quite dynamic...

Well, we did out-score them from the line by 9 points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom