JB's Presser after ODU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after ODU

Frank is not close to the player he was last year. He doesn't penetrate to the rim to create shots. He doesn't score except for an occasional 3 pointer which is not his strength. His quickness may not return for weeks or maybe not even this season. Cary makes freshman mistakes but the team plays at a faster tempo when he's in and he gives us another scoring dimension. But seems JB will sink or swim with Frank.

Frank isn’t where he was last year. Yet. Today he was ok. Hit the two 3’s and had 6 assists. We couldn’t score with Carey in the game for whatever reason. The 4 mins he played in the second half we had one basket. A Dolezaj baseline jumper. Both times the the announcers mentioned our droughts, it was with Jalen in the game. While we were bad today, we were much better with frank in the game. I think people say things for the sake of saying them.

Frank isn’t where he was last year. Yet. Today he was ok. Hit the two 3’s and had 6 assists. We couldn’t score with Carey in the game for whatever reason. The 4 mins he played in the second half we had one basket. A Dolezaj baseline jumper. Both the the announcers mentioned our drought, it was with Jalen in the game. While we were bad today, we were much better with frank in the game. I think people say things for the sake of saying them.
I saw that he had 6 assists and was surprised by it.

I keep saying yet and you keep saying yet but, at some point, he has to get back to 100% and I am starting to get worried that he won’t get there.

He was supposed to be back for the start of the season and that got pushed back by 3 weeks. Whatever injury he sustained was clearly more serious than they let on.

I saw that he had 6 assists and was surprised by it.

I keep saying yet and you keep saying yet but, at some point, he has to get back to 100% and I am starting to get worried that he won’t get there.

He was supposed to be back for the start of the season and that got pushed back by 3 weeks. Whatever injury he sustained was clearly more serious than they let on.

I’d still like to know what the injury was that needed surgery. Obvious not a sprained ankle like people thought at first. To have surgery I would think something broke. What foot injuries require surgery? Achilles? Broken bone needing to be stabilized? Inquiring minds want to know.

I’d still like to know what the injury was that needed surgery. Obvious not a sprained ankle like people thought at first. To have surgery I would think something broke. What foot injuries require surgery? Achilles? Broken bone needing to be stabilized? Inquiring minds want to know.
The ankle and foot are incredibly complex. Very tough to speculate.

Last edited:
Achilles, he’d be done.

Tua just had surgery for a high ankle sprain on 12/1. I am interested to see if he is back at 100% for the play off. If he is, then it becomes pretty clear that Frank’s injury was not a sprain.

He was in a boot, right?

I’m thinking he broke something in his foot.

Regardless, it has clearly greatly limited his play so far this season.

Achilles, he’d be done.

Tua just had surgery for a high ankle sprain on 12/1. I am interested to see if he is back at 100% for the play off. If he is, then it becomes pretty clear that Frank’s injury was not a sprain.

He was in a boot, right?

I’m thinking he broke something in his foot.

Regardless, it has clearly greatly limited his play so far this season.

Yea he went from a cast with crutches to a boot.

Yea he went from a cast with crutches to a boot.
Lisfranc sprain/fracture?

The healing process after Lisfranc injury surgery is a lengthy one. To start, for a period of six to eight weeks one will have to wear a cast boot and not putting any weight on the foot. This is then followed by several more weeks of limited weight-bearing with the use of a walking boot.

I'm not 100% sure of the timing of the injury. This may not be applicable.

A broken metatarsal would heal in 6-8 weeks without surgery.

Really? You think he doesn't care?

Well, we did out-score them from the line by 9 points.
There were some words you contrived to ignore to fit your indignation: “seemed” and “...so much.”
Really, you think Caring is ‘all or nothing?’

Well, we did out-score them from the line by 9 points.
How does that work, logically?
If you’re going to the line, it usually means you were denied a field goal attempt because of that foul. So it’s not a net 9 point advantage. And even if it were, we lost, so obviously that stat is only one component of the overall picture.

This post is for everyone that complains about the high ball screen with our bigs. Its about opening the lane and getting to the basket. This is called a dribble drive offense. The whole point is to get guys like tyus and frank and our other scorers angles and openings to either A. Get to the rim and finish/get fouled or B. Get in the lane and draw help. If the help comes then someone is open. At that point guys need to make the right play and either kick for the 3 or find someone weak side. Pascal is setting these screens to get himself as well as the center that’s guarding him out of the way.

There were some words you contrived to ignore to fit your indignation: “seemed” and “...so much.”
Really, you think Caring is ‘all or nothing?’

I interpret "seemed not to care" as an allegation that he doesn't care. Otherwise, what point is being made?

How does that work, logically?
If you’re going to the line, it usually means you were denied a field goal attempt because of that foul. So it’s not a net 9 point advantage. And even if it were, we lost, so obviously that stat is only one component of the overall picture.

This is a good point. You seemed to be questioning the validity of the statement that if we get a lot of attempts at the foul line we can still out-score them from there even if we don't shoot well and that was a statistical fact tonight. But you are right to say that it can be a deceiving statistical fact.

This post is for everyone that complains about the high ball screen with our bigs. Its about opening the lane and getting to the basket. This is called a dribble drive offense. The whole point is to get guys like tyus and frank and our other scorers angles and openings to either A. Get to the rim and finish/get fouled or B. Get in the lane and draw help. If the help comes then someone is open. At that point guys need to make the right play and either kick for the 3 or find someone weak side. Pascal is setting these screens to get himself as well as the center that’s guarding him out of the way.

The problem is, he's usually got two people around him and thus doesn't wind up screening out anybody.

The problem is, he's usually got two people around him and thus doesn't wind up screening out anybody.

Well if that’s the case then it’s bad execution by the center or guard. It’s not fool proof but if a 7’2 guy can come out and set a quality pick for a guard/wing then it’s going to open something up. Most likely a driving lane or a mismatch. Craig Forth was the best screener to ever play at cuse. You obviously know he was a 7 ft center with zero athleticism. Boeheims been doing this for a long time. Not sure why all of sudden everyone is questioning it.

Last edited:
Well if that’s the case then it’s bad execution by the center or guard. It’s not fool proof but if a 7’2 guy can come out and set a quality pick for a guard/wing then it’s going to open something up. Most likely a driving lane or a mismatch. Craig Forth was the best screener to ever play at cuse. You obviously know he was a 7 ft center with zero athleticism. Boeheims been doing this for a long time. Not sure why all of sudden everyone is questioning it.

Forth played with Anthony, Warrick, McNamara, Pace, Edelin, Duany. And if it's just bad execution than we need to fix the execution, the scheme or try something else.

Last edited:
We’re never going to get much offense from Pascal other than ft’s or an alley oop. His low post moves are laughable. Our offense as a team is so bad again if someone isn’t hitting shots were gonna lose.
Chukwu has low post moves? He can't chew gum and dribble at the same time. Almost a total lack of athletic ability. He can block shots. Occasionally. Pass the ball to him and it's 50-50 whether or not he'll catch it. Rebound hits his hands and it's 50-50 he'll hold onto it. Sorry to come down so hard on him but there are 353 D1 basketball schools and he probably ranks in the bottom third of centers. Problem is Sidibe has shown little in the opportunities he's had.

Chukwu has low post moves? He can't chew gum and dribble at the same time. Almost a total lack of athletic ability. He can block shots. Occasionally. Pass the ball to him and it's 50-50 whether or not he'll catch it. Rebound hits his hands and it's 50-50 he'll hold onto it. Sorry to come down so hard on him but there are 353 D1 basketball schools and he probably ranks in the bottom third of centers. Problem is Sidibe has shown little in the opportunities he's had.
You’re spot on!!

He also doesnt know how to roll properly...

Does fumbling the ball count as a low post move?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom