JB's Presser after ODU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after ODU

Chukwu has low post moves? He can't chew gum and dribble at the same time. Almost a total lack of athletic ability. He can block shots. Occasionally. Pass the ball to him and it's 50-50 whether or not he'll catch it. Rebound hits his hands and it's 50-50 he'll hold onto it. Sorry to come down so hard on him but there are 353 D1 basketball schools and he probably ranks in the bottom third of centers. Problem is Sidibe has shown little in the opportunities he's had.

And I get blasted when I make the same observations...

This post is for everyone that complains about the high ball screen with our bigs. Its about opening the lane and getting to the basket. This is called a dribble drive offense. The whole point is to get guys like tyus and frank and our other scorers angles and openings to either A. Get to the rim and finish/get fouled or B. Get in the lane and draw help. If the help comes then someone is open. At that point guys need to make the right play and either kick for the 3 or find someone weak side. Pascal is setting these screens to get himself as well as the center that’s guarding him out of the way.

The problem with SU's execution of a high pick and roll is that, most if not all of the time, the
player setting the pick gets no respect from the D. If Chukwu or Sidibe want to set it, and I'm
the opposing coach, let them. What are they going to do out high? They don't roll, they
aren't likely to catch the pass thrown to them, neither has the outside shot or passing skills
that you need to care about. SU tried with Roberson, he couldn't. Tried with Keita, who at least
had the ability to pass to a backdoor cutter, but nothing else. You can make this work with
Dolezaj and Brissett, cuz they can do something with the ball. As you said, create an angle to
get the ball to the scorers. But even if you can create the angle, the players who end up with
ball can't then pass it off.

It is a lousy situation that to replicate much of what worked with Dolezaj on the court, you
can't have Hughes on the court, as what worked last year was FH-TB-OB-MD-PC, which gave
you the flexibility on O but also kept some D. This year, they're trying to work it as
FH-TB-EH-OB-PC (no facilitator) or FH-TB-EH-OB-MD (no capable post D). That's the hard
part about this year's team. My all-knowing opinion is that they should try to a) speed up
the game using whatever to force tempo, and b) they need some sort of post game, with
Brissett probably, to get easier or higher-percentage shots. But that could come as a
holy edict and would still not be heard.

Kev

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom