JB's 'Whipping Boy' Technique | Syracusefan.com

JB's 'Whipping Boy' Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange2win

2nd String
In JB's defense, the system is used by the military at boot camps as drill sergeants try to jolt new recruits into line. However, the system changes after boot camp.

It has been JB's thing from the beginning, but to keep this post shorter, I'll just discuss his targets over the last decade. They include Paul Harris, Mookie Jones, Dion Waiters and now Tyler Roberson.

There is commonality here. All come from tough inner city neighborhoods and so are not used to taking lip from anyone (obstinate?). All were top prospects - 4 or 5 star (high expectations?). All were hotly pursued (high egos?). All nearly went elsewhere (unsure?).

The problem with the technique is that it really didn't change the kids. Praise, smoke blowing, encouragement, would surely have yielded more positive results.

While disturbing at times, it can also be amusing. In a recent game, Tyler Lydon made a bad TO and JB exploded and called time. As Tyler approached, he looked right past him and began screaming at TR. For what reason? Only Jimmy knows.

JB hates to be challenged about this technique. He gets very angry at just the mention of it. Too bad, I'd like to hear him explain why he thinks it works.

It's one thing if everybody is getting hammered but it's different if one guy is singled out repeatedly. I'm not military but a close friend just went through Air Force basic training and he described it more as everybody getting their chance to get 'lit up', as he put it, rather than one whipping boy getting it more than others.

It's one thing if everybody is getting hammered but it's different if one guy is singled out repeatedly. I'm not military but a close friend just went through Air Force basic training and he described it more as everybody getting their chance to get 'lit up', as he put it, rather than one whipping boy getting it more than others.

Basic Training is not a good example. The reason everyone gets "lit up" is because they are trying to weed out that aren't suited for military life and its unique stresses and challenges. If someone falls to pieces when they are yelled at for not making their bed to a standard they just aren't going to be able operate under pressure.

When people don't do what they are told to do in the military, people sometimes die.

JB is making an assessment that this is what it takes to motivate these players or maybe even to get their attention. The theory is that if you don't like being yelled at --- in front of thousands of people at a minimum --- than maybe you might not do things that you have been told over and over and over again that you should not do.

Or I guess you could sit on the bench like a cigar store Native American and let the players do what they feel like doing.

Dion Waiters recently cqme out and said JB's tough love helped him greatly - Scoop said the same.
I was just going to post that. I know for Dion it really helped him. Not all kids react to it though.

Basic Training is not a good example. The reason everyone gets "lit up" is because they are trying to weed out that aren't suited for military life and its unique stresses and challenges. If someone falls to pieces when they are yelled at for not making their bed to a standard they just aren't going to be able operate under pressure.

When people don't do what they are told to do in the military, people sometimes die.

JB is making an assessment that this is what it takes to motivate these players or maybe even to get their attention. The theory is that if you don't like being yelled at --- in front of thousands of people at a minimum --- than maybe you might not do things that you have been told over and over and over again that you should not do.

Or I guess you could sit on the bench like a cigar store Native American and let the players do what they feel like doing.

Terrible post. Who said JB should sit there and let the players do what they feel like doing? JB has embarrassed Roberson on the court and called him out in press conferences. TR hasn't responded to being publicly shamed but he keeps doing it.

Are you a JB relative? Your defense of him is getting creepy.

Last edited:
Dion Waiters recently cqme out and said JB's tough love helped him greatly - Scoop said the same.

I would not place much stock in that quote.

Can you come up with a better narrative for use in your highly competitive day job, in response to locker room banter "Hey Dion, I heard you never were good enough to make the starting line-up once at college. Hee, hee, hee. Is that true?"

Not nice what JB did to that kid.

Terrible post. Who said JB should sit there and let the players do what they feel like doing? JB has embarrassed Roberson on the court and called him out in press conferences. TR hasn't responded to being publicly shamed but he keeps doing it.

JB is with these kids

Boeheim is with these kids for months hours a day. He's been doing this for forty years successfully.

In my opinion he is the expert and the credible source. You are not. You're just some random guy with a computer and an internet connection.

You are willing to assign to him the worst possible motives. Or worse yet, no motives at all. To you and your like-minded buddies it seems like character flaws on JB's part. Things he does for no other reason but stupidity and meaness?

I'd be curious as to why you think he does this stuff.

Which is it?

Basic meaness?

A wrongheaded idea that this stuff works?

Stupidity?

What's you semi-professional analysis?

I would not place much stock in that quote.

Can you come up with a better narrative for use in your highly competitive day job, in response to locker room banter "Hey Dion, I heard you never were good enough to make the starting line-up once at college. Hee, hee, hee. Is that true?"

Not nice what JB did to that kid.
So Dion is lying?

Or you are choosing not to believe him because it conflicts with your preferred JB narrative?

I don't care about the why. JB has done it over and over again for 4 years. It hasn't worked and he keeps doing it. If Roberson responded to it by playing better, then it could be justified. I didn't judge JB.

I wonder why you apparently think JB shouldn't be questioned. Let's shut down the board if "random guys like me with internet connections" are not allowed to question the almighty Boeheim. I've not JB bashed by any stretch through the years.

You have shown little to no knowledge of college basketball, just an unwavering desire to jump in and defend Boeheim no matter what. And it is getting a little uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I think what we are seeing here and in many other similar threads is a generation gap phenomena.a

There is a group on here who cannot stand to see anything that smacks of criticism or meaness. They aren't used to it and they can't stand to witness it.

JB tells reporter, That's a dumb question!"

"Oh, the inhumanity!" They wail.

JB yells at a player too much?

"Why is he doing that?", they say, "I wish he wouldn't.

Trophies es and juice boxes for everyone!

Once your at basic training...there is no weeding out...there's no quitting.

You have jumped the shark, Townie, if you are lumping me in that comment above. You know nothing about my age or background. The irony is you can't stand to have JB be criticicized but it's okay for him to publicly rip his own players. Have a good one.

I don't care about the why. JB has done it over and over again for 4 years. It hasn't worked and he keeps doing it. If Roberson responded to it by playing better, than it could be justified. I didn't judge JB.

I wonder why you apparently think JB shouldn't be questioned. Let's shut down the board if "random guys like me with internet connections" are not allowed to question the almighty Boeheim. I've not JB bashed by any stretch through the years.

You have shown little to no knowledge of college basketball, just an unwavering desire to jump in and defend Boeheim no matter what. And it is getting a little uncomfortable.

You just don't want to tell "why" because it will expose your argument for what it really is.

Go ahead. Prove m e wrong. Give it a shot.

I don't think anybody is suggesting JB not yell at players. It's more like he should stop yelling at one player above all others since it lost its effectiveness about two months ago.

You have jumped the shark, Townie, if you are lumping me in that comment above. You know nothing about my age or background. The irony is you can't stand to have JB be criticicized but it's okay for him to publicly rip his own players. Have a good one.

I just don't like BS.

I don't think anybody is suggesting JB not yell at players. It's more like he should stop yelling at one player above all others since it lost its effectiveness about two months ago.

That would be your uneducated opinion based on what you see on TV.

Right?

I think what we are seeing here and in many other similar threads is a generation gap phenomena.a

There is a group on here who cannot stand to see anything that smacks of criticism or meaness. They aren't used to it and they can't stand to witness it.

JB tells reporter, That's a dumb question!"

"Oh, the inhumanity!" They wail.

JB yells at a player too much?

"Why is he doing that?", they say, "I wish he wouldn't.

Trophies es and juice boxes for everyone!

I understand tough love but on occasion JB crosses the line. He did so during his presser after the Louisville game. That lacked class. In that case tough love looked like outright contempt and nastiness.

There is absolutely insufficient appreciation on here among some as to the importance of JB to the history and the success of the SU basketball program.

Quite simply he IS the program.

When he took it over, the previous coach, Roy Danforth, left SU for a program with greater potential. He went to Tulane.

Let that sink into you brains. Tulane was a better opportunity.

Too many people don't know or understand the history.

I was just going to post that. I know for Dion it really helped him. Not all kids react to it though.
Dion had NBA talent so it worked with him. Same deal with Rony Seikaly. The others? Like trying to get water from a stone.

Why does any criticism of JB mean a lack of appreciation for what he's done for the program? Townie is a stage 5 JB clinger. I bet he loved that Men of March documentary with a look inside the Boeheim residence. Nothing Townie hasn't seen from the bushes in their backyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom