JB's 'Whipping Boy' Technique | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

JB's 'Whipping Boy' Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you talking about? Please link with the proof where JB doesn't care about free throws? Did he tell you that? Not pointing you out Scooch but this board gets more unreadable every day with posters trying to top the other- bashing players, coaches , university.

syracuse has been historically awful in this category. bad enuf that it gets mentioned practically every game.

In the past five seasons here is SU's national rank for FT %:

2015-16: 217th
2014-15: 284th
2013-14: 151st
2012-13: 235th
2011-12: 152nd

Of course JB would not say he that doesn't care about free throws. I know we practice free throws. But SU historically has been mediocre to below average at shooting free throws. Perhaps JB does not factor that skill highly when recruiting players. Perhaps he would rather spend more time on teaching zone defense. I'm sympathetic to the fact that practice time is limited and you have to proioritize accordingly. All I know is that for whatever reason JB does not often put strong free throw shooting teams on the floor.

So yes, I find it curious for him to bash a players free throw shooting when he doesn't seem to value that skill as much as other programs. The numbers bear that out.

I've heard him say this, not in so many words, but that's the gist of it.

For Boeheim, there's a limited number of practice hours in the week. He believes that a) he can get more bang for his instructional buck working on other things and b) Syracuse takes more free throws than opponents so we can shoot a worse percentage and come out even (yes, I recognize that this is terrible logic).

So the kids take free throws at the end of practice, sure. But there's no formal instruction and hasn't been for decades. It's not inaccurate to say he doesn't care about free throws. At the very least, he cares about free throws a lot less than he cares about defense. So that's what they work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom