Jeff Nixon - Impressef | Syracusefan.com

Jeff Nixon - Impressef

GoSU96

Living Legend
Installed a Pro Style offense after 11 years of very college style systems.

Great use of personal packages, throwing to all areas of the field, I think offensive penalties was one iffy hold, one sack on 43 called passes, one other negative play, loved the play action.

The use of the running backs in the pass game was awesome.

That delay route in the middle to Allen is a James Cook staple. Nixon on the arrow route was solid. He looked solid.

Really good play calls just wish we ran it a little more and tried to establish a run game more in the 1st and 2 quarter.

Nah if my QB is going to march up and down the field and not turn the ball over I will just stick with what is working. The reverse is also true if the passing game was struggling and we were running up and down the field we should stick with that. Like they have preached all off-season the offense will change depending on what the defense is giving us.

I suspect his NFL experience listening to pro OCs talk to QBs has helped make him a calming voice with new headset communications to QB this year.

Not sure if it’s him or Nunzio but they clearly did a nice job calming McCord after that first series and Nixon never barfed or hyperventilated calling plays like Sterlin did.

It’s wild to think, but we have 3 RBs capable of lining out wide and running routes. With all the receiving talent plus our backs, we can really throw the ball anywhere on the field. If the WRs can’t get open we have an All American tight end and a back who can catch. It’s refreshing to see a true passing game.

Really good play calls just wish we ran it a little more and tried to establish a run game more in the 1st and 2 quarter.
I think the fact that Nixon did not attempt to "force" the run game against a defense with a clear game plan of stopping the run was more important takeaway.

I suspect his NFL experience listening to pro OCs talk to QBs has helped make him a calming voice with new headset communications to QB this year.

Not sure if it’s him or Nunzio but they clearly did a nice job calming McCord after that first series and Nixon never barfed or hyperventilated calling plays like Sterlin did.
Sterlin, and Eggs, and that guy from Clemson, and Pariani.

Brian White called games like he was drunk, which he probably was.

I liked the mulitple personnel packages. He used gadsden well. Good first start. There's some things to clean up.
Interested in your take on the defense. I think you had concerns about the DTs going in to this game. Run fits also seemed problematic, even when Wax was playing.

I mean, we scored on 6 of 10 posssessins (should have been 7 if not for that atrocious holding call that negated the big gain to OG) and racked up 480 total yards WITHOUT RELYING ON A QB TO SCRAMBLE FOR HIS LIFE to get positive plays a dozen times.

We saw an actual, highly functional offense. We haven’t had that in years.

I mean, we scored on 6 of 10 posssessins (should have been 7 if not for that atrocious holding call that negated the big gain to OG) and racked up 480 total yards WITHOUT RELYING ON A QB TO SCRAMBLE FOR HIS LIFE to get positive plays a dozen times.

And it was a collection of players contributing instead of one/two studs accounting for 95% of the plays.

I’m most excited about the possibility of different contributors throughout the year rather than relying on one or two bell cows.

but at least we went fast...until we didn't

but at least we went fast...until we didn't
In retrospect the flaws in that approach were obvious. We could garner lots of yards with quick tempo… until we got close to the red zone. Then as things tightened up and we had to be more methodical, we couldn’t do it. That’s why our YPG always outpaced our PPG. It was fast but terribly inefficient offense.

I don’t recall a single moment where I was thinking “what the hell are we doing” offensively yesterday.

I thought that about every 90 seconds the last few years.
Me either. I also felt the play calls in years past were sadly predictable. Not yesterday. We stressed the Ohio defense. And I would also imagine we kept it fairly boring and "vanilla" compared to what we'll see as teh season goes on. Very happy with the offense.

Interested in your take on the defense. I think you had concerns about the DTs going in to this game. Run fits also seemed problematic, even when Wax was playing.
It was what I expected. I saw enough in the spring game to know the interior would gonna be a work in progress. Run fits from the safeties were off as well. Duce has to improve there. They will need to invert him and Clark at times to help with run support. Can’t miss tackles. That’ was one of his strengths as a CB.

If not for them missing the ludicrous hands to the face on Washington and instead calling him for holding, it’s 45 points and another 50 yards.
What’s worse is that he threw the flag late. As if they wanted to see if the ball was caught or not. I didn’t see either of them reaching for it after the ball was released. Pt spread was on the line. Lol.

It was what I expected. I saw enough in the spring game to know the interior would gonna be a work in progress. Run fits from the safeties were off as well. Duce has to improve there. They will need to invert him and Clark at times to help with run support. Can’t miss tackles. That’ was one of his strengths as a CB.
I was thinking the same. He was a strong tackler as a CB. So what gives? Is that just learning the new position?

In retrospect the flaws in that approach were obvious. We could garner lots of yards with quick tempo… until we got close to the red zone. Then as things tightened up and we had to be more methodical, we couldn’t do it. That’s why our YPG always outpaced our PPG. It was fast but terribly inefficient offense.
It's frustrating that we were at the tail end of that era of offense, but I'm glad we got to experience a little bit of it at least.

It's frustrating that we were at the tail end of that era of offense, but I'm glad we got to experience a little bit of it at least.
Candidly… oinf bored the heck out of me. Yesterday was the first full game I watched live since babers first season. I can’t do 4 hour plus games with a dozen three and outs and a dozen penalties a game. I will forever believe that oinf led to more injuries and lost us many more games than it won… although babers’s record probably indicates the same.

Meh. It was a novelty but a better coach would have realized the moment had passed. To me it got old fast.

Meh. It was a novelty but a better coach would have realized the moment had passed. To me it got old fast.
We didn't mind it in 2018, or fear it's time passed heading into 2019.

:shrugs:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom