Jermaine lawrence | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Jermaine lawrence

Then by all means, explain yourself.

You seem preoccupied by internet recruiting website rankings. You advocate the coaching staff only chasing 5-star blue chippers. Well, surprise--the coaching staff is involved with multiple players over the next few classes of recruits that are elite prospects. They're also involved with several other prospects that they deem to be good system fits. So with all due respect, I guess I don't understand what you are complaining about at all.

When Chinoso Obokoh blows up, and ends up with a bunch of Big East / ACC offers, nobody is going to complain if he ends up at SU. If he ends up being a four year player, nobody is going to complain if he ends up at SU. You can't build a roster out of 15 5-star prospects.

it's time for SU to step it up, to become an orange blue blood. boeheim is going after 3 or 4 kids with one-n-done talent in 2014.

i want SU to be a school that can come into the picture late (like uk) and steal a recruit (like cal did with noel, and like cal will do with towns too).
Syracuse will never be that type of school.

Syracuse will never be that type of school.

i don't mean SU should slime there way in at the last second, i mean if SU shows interest in a kid late in the process, then that kid will think hard about coming to SU. all that comes with reputation, with stature.

if SU has the stature of a blue blood then will. it won't be SU pursuing the best talent, it will be the best talent pursuing SU.
You are over simplifying the recruiting process. If your premise was correct then it would be easy for every top school to be a blue blood.

You are over simplifying the recruiting process. If your premise was correct then it would be easy for every top school to be a blue blood.

no, i'm saying i want SU to earn that blue blood stature. the blue blood schools turn recruits heads if they show any interest.

i don't mean SU should slime there way in at the last second, i mean if SU shows interest in a kid late in the process, then that kid will think hard about coming to SU. all that comes with reputation, with stature.
Syracuse has done a fantastic job identifying top talent though. We don't need to jump into a recruiting battles last minute because we are usually participating in them at the beginning.

Syracuse has done a fantastic job identifying top talent though. We don't need to jump into a recruiting battles last minute because we are usually participating in them at the beginning.

right. i agree that SU is one of the best at discovering talent. but i'll give you an example. watch what happens with briscoe. i don't think he'll sign with SU for the exact point i'm making.

Francis, you've seen Okoboh play a few times. How does his game compare to Baye? Sounds from descriptions that he might have more upside potential than Baye. After seeing Baye for 2 years now, he has relatively poor hands which limit his rebounding abilities, and still has limited offensive abilities. Sounds like Okoboh may have good hands and can rebound. Also, he stated he made a few 3 pointers last season. Haven't seen Baye take a shot outside of 5 feet from the basket. Baye has a great motor and can defend in the paint but don't see much else to his game.
Obokoh's upside is way bigger than Baye. I think he can become a player like Dieng from Louisville. He plays with a high motor, blocks shot, rebounds, and has decent hands. Needs to get stronger but has a solid frame to build up on. The tools are there for him to become a solid contributor down the road. A red-shirt year could be a plus because we probably wouldn't need him much next season. To our friend who has picked up from where berniefevercuse4life left off at. Obokoh has offers from West Virginia, Nova, Miami, Oregon, and Temple so they all must think he can play at a high level as well.

no, i'm saying i want SU to earn that blue blood stature. the blue blood schools turn recruits heads if they show any interest.

SU has already earned that stature. In case you haven't noticed, we've been recruiting at an unbelievable level for several years.

SU has already earned that stature. In case you haven't noticed, we've been recruiting at an unbelievable level for several years.

no, SU has not reached that stature. yes, they are improving in the recruiting game, but they don't have the same pull as kansas, dook, unc, ucla, uk, and even indiana is back.

and now that SU will be in the same league as two blue bloods, now is the time to make our move, target the best players, and earn that respect. oh, and win a title or two.

no, SU has not reached that stature. yes, they are improving in the recruiting game, but they don't have the same pull as kansas, dook, unc, ucla, uk, and even indiana is back.

and now that SU will be in the same league as two blue bloods, now is the time to make our move, target the best players, and earn that respect. oh, and win a title or two.

Yes, we have. Don't be misled by the fact that not every recruit is a 5-star. No school besides UK can make that claim--that isn't the benchmark.

Yes, we have. Don't be misled by the fact that not every recruit is a 5-star. No school besides UK can make that claim--that isn't the benchmark.

since the national title, SU has had one top 5 class (2007).

and unc, dook, uk, kansas, ucla have had multiple top 5 classes.

since the national title, SU has had one top 5 class (2007).

and unc, dook, uk, kansas, ucla have had multiple top 5 classes.

What are the critiera for top 5 classes? Any clue?

this was posted in the vonleh forum:

Via twitter today

"UK is about to get more involved with Noah Vonleh. The 6-8 WF tells us. And he seems pretty happy about it."

that is exactly what i'm talking about. SU's doesn't quite have that pull and influence that the blue bloods do. yes, SU is moving in the right direction, but once we head to the ACC and compete with two blue bloods in our own league, i hope SU makes that leap, which must start with recruiting.

Via twitter today

"UK is about to get more involved with Noah Vonleh. The 6-8 WF tells us. And he seems pretty happy about it."

that is exactly what i'm talking about. SU's doesn't quite have that pull and influence that the blue bloods do. yes, SU is moving in the right direction, but once we head to the ACC and compete with two blue bloods in our own league, i hope SU makes that leap, which must start with recruiting.
You do realize Kentucky has one of the dirtiest coach's in the game of recruiting don't you. I wouldn't trust Oregon or UCLA either. I love the way our staff goes about the recruiting business. If you do not think our staff is one of the BEST out there then you have no clue on what is going on.

on dave telep's live chat today someone asked him about SU's 2013 class. telep replied that SU is really focused on landing ennis, and the second name he mentioned was jermaine lawrence.

so the recruiting world can picture lawrence in orange too.

Lawrence would be a great fit offensively and defensively for the Cuse style of play. Zagsblog states we are in his top three! I hope JB, Hop and Gmac go after him hard.

bringing in the best players is the criteria.
Anyone who is complaining about our recruiting the last few years is out of their mind, we have been bringing in better talent than Kansas which is considered a blue blood program. The only reason SU doesn't have a top 5 class every year is we're not signing 5 players in a class. Look at the rankings over the past few years, it is quite impressive to see Syracuse in the top 10-15 with 2 and 3 man classes.

Anyone who is complaining about our recruiting the last few years is out of their mind, we have been bringing in better talent than Kansas which is considered a blue blood program. The only reason SU doesn't have a top 5 class every year is we're not signing 5 players in a class. Look at the rankings over the past few years, it is quite impressive to see Syracuse in the top 10-15 with 2 and 3 man classes.

just explaining to the guy that SU hasn't reached blue blood status.

Ding, ding, ding.

Via twitter today

You can't compare anyone to Kentucky. Cal has perfected his one-and-done recruiting system, and many of the very top kids are buying into it. The biggest of the egos see themselves in the NBA in 18 months, and he has figured out how to take advantage of this. UCLA is trying to emulate him with their incoming class. But the IU's, UNC's, even the Duke's are not going that route--at least not yet.
Before these "blue bloods" copy Cal, I expect that there will be pressure from them to change the one-and-done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom