Jerry says we have the 15th best class | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Jerry says we have the 15th best class

It was frustrating. I think JB saw a kid that could be successful at the college level rebounding, hustling, attacking the basket from 10' off one dribble, maybe learning a couple post moves and getting put backs. I seems on Roberson's side there was always an emphasis on playing on the perimeter and expanding his game to have a chance at the NBA. JB probably realized early on that wasn't going to happen.

Oh, yeah, 100%. It was the way JB outwardly reacted that I have an issue with. It was obviously not working with TR. Oh well. What's done is done.

Darryl Watkins did it almost twice.

Main reason it won't happen is because there's no possible way that I see in which he plays the 30mpg needed to get near those #s. Our offense is going to struggle really bad and we're going to need Thompson at the 5 a gpod amount to open things up. He played a ton of 5 as a frosh and don't see him turning into a full time 4 as a soph.

Sherman Douglas is the only SU PG that I can remember ever averaging 8 assists per game, and he was arguably our best PG ever, that played with multiple studs(Coleman, Seikaly, Owens, Thompson, etc.) in an era where we pushed the tempo and scored a ton in transition. He graduated as the all time NCAA assists leader.

Frank Howard probably isn't averaging 8 assists per game next year.
Lazarus Sims came very close in 95-96

Couple things will be interesting to watch:
1. How will JB handle Frank. I think we all agree that a couple factors played into Frank's hideous performance in conference play last year. One of those factors was a loss of confidence and a mental/emotional weakness that compounded it. So will JB dog house him or give him free reign? From the outside looking in, JB does appear to have some not insignificant belief that Frank can perform at this level, so he may loosen the leash on him.
2. What is the deal with Chukwu. I think he is better than we saw last year, but how much better. There are reasons to believe he is never going to be much of a contributor given some of what we saw last year, but if he can get himself together to even a moderate degree, he is certainly an x-factor on defense.
3. How good will Moyer be? You look at his tapes from HS and it is easy to be excited about his athleticism and aggressiveness. We also know he is a very high IQ guy which I think we have been a little lacking in at the forward positions (on average).
4. How good will MD be? Could be a big surprise just due to the amount of veteran competition he has played against. He also could be a dud along the lines of Yurtseven is his first year and/or lose a semester to the NCAA, which in our system would virtually wipe out his freshman year.

1. How will JB handle Frank. I think we all agree that a couple factors played into Frank's hideous performance in conference play last year. One of those factors was a loss of confidence and a mental/emotional weakness that compounded it. So will JB dog house him or give him free reign? From the outside looking in, JB does appear to have some not insignificant belief that Frank can perform at this level, so he may loosen the leash on him.
2. What is the deal with Chukwu. I think he is better than we saw last year, but how much better. There are reasons to believe he is never going to be much of a contributor given some of what we saw last year, but if he can get himself together to even a moderate degree, he is certainly an x-factor on defense.
3. How good will Moyer be? You look at his tapes from HS and it is easy to be excited about his athleticism and aggressiveness. We also know he is a very high IQ guy which I think we have been a little lacking in at the forward positions (on average).
4. How good will MD be? Could be a big surprise just due to the amount of veteran competition he has played against. He also could be a dud along the lines of Yurtseven is his first year and/or lose a semester to the NCAA, which in our system would virtually wipe out his freshman year.
That's a lotta question marks, just sayin...
dc-comics-riddler-maquette-tweeterhead-feature-902572.jpg

Main reason it won't happen is because there's no possible way that I see in which he plays the 30mpg needed to get near those #s. Our offense is going to struggle really bad and we're going to need Thompson at the 5 a gpod amount to open things up. He played a ton of 5 as a frosh and don't see him turning into a full time 4 as a soph.
You know you may be right. Its all about what Boeheim wants. The defensive presence or being able to score.
Going off of last seasons philosophy with Lydon you would be right about positioning TT at the 5.

Just as long as Marek plays 40 minutes against Duke and gestures toward Jordan Tucker everytime he posterizes someone.

Sherman Douglas is the only SU PG that I can remember ever averaging 8 assists per game, and he was arguably our best PG ever, that played with multiple studs(Coleman, Seikaly, Owens, Thompson, etc.) in an era where we pushed the tempo and scored a ton in transition. He graduated as the all time NCAA assists leader.

Frank Howard probably isn't averaging 8 assists per game next year.
MCW was like .5 shy of 8, and he was a great floor leader. I'd be happy with Frank around 5, as long as he's sub 2 in turnovers.

Duke and Kentucky are waiting on top 10-20 kids for the most part who were waiting for the numerous 1 and dones to leave those programs. We have 0 in common with what they are doing.
Duke edged us out in adding Jordan Tucker as a late signee but our spring recruiting approaches have nothing in common. got it

MCW was like .5 shy of 8, and he was a great floor leader. I'd be happy with Frank around 5, as long as he's sub 2 in turnovers.

I think Frank cuts down on the boneheaded to's. That said, need to realistic. Sub 2 turnovers per game with 5 dimes would be like a 2.6 A/to ratio. Very high. Only player higher was Ennis (who we know was very good at being composed) and gillon was about 2.5 last year.

Duke edged us out in adding Jordan Tucker as a late signee but our spring recruiting approaches have nothing in common. got it

Yeah, if we can just pretend that Duval and Knox don't exist then sure.

I don't disagree, but we need to move away from Grad Transfers and start signing legitimate top end prospects to build continuity and increase our high end talent. 2 years in a row we have been one of the last teams in the P5 to finish filling out our roster.
As long as we have 1 and dines we are going to be in the late signee/grad transfer market. Price you pay.

How I see the roster shaking out as is.
Starters

Howard 10pts 8ast 4reb 2stl
Battle 18pts 3reb 2ast
Moyer 11pts 5reb
Thompson 18pts 6reb
Chukwu 4pts 7reb 3blk

Bench

Washington 3pts 2ast
Dolezaj 4pts 4reb
Brisset 5pts 4reb
Sidibe 6pts 3reb

Looks good to me. Just short another guard. Anything happens to any of our guards and we are super screwed at this point.
80 ppg? Ummm

I think Frank cuts down on the boneheaded to's. That said, need to realistic. Sub 2 turnovers per game with 5 dimes would be like a 2.6 A/to ratio. Very high. Only player higher was Ennis (who we know was very good at being composed) and gillon was about 2.5 last year.

9 ppg, 5-6 apg, 3 TO, 38% shooting, and 30 % from 3, 70% FTs would be realistic numbers from him that I would be ok with, personally, provided it comes with pretty good defense.

Get over Jordan Tucker. This whole board has jilted lover syndrome.

Can't really act like he "should've been ours" when we supposedly stopped recruiting him for like 6 months.

And while we could use a pure shooter like he is advertised to be, he doesn't seem to be a different level of prospect than the forwards we already have: Marek, Brissett, and Moyer.

He had over 8 assist 5 times last season in his very limited playing time.
If he is given a legit chance I think he surprises a lot of people.

Against the garbage teams he did well. Against solid competition, that's a different story. Would be shocked if he averaged 4.

Sidibe will be a better defender than Chukwu. And I will say much better. He will also be a much better overall player.
I think that could be true. Sidibe might actually find himself ahead of Chukwu fairly early. Chukwu is a big question mark, especially with the injury last year.

Against the garbage teams he did well. Against solid competition, that's a different story. Would be shocked if he averaged 4.

Shocked if he doubled his ACC output with an increased role from 10/11mpg?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom