Jerry says we have the 15th best class | Syracusefan.com

Jerry says we have the 15th best class

in the country and fourth in the ACC. Brissett and Dolezaj are both top 70 players and Sidibe is four star. Not a terrible haul for a down year.

That was the crazy thing -- we knew that if we landed a couple of good prospects, that this could be a highly rated class. It just didn't seem like things were going to go our way when Tucker / Ayala [who were both rumored commits at one time] balked. That we bounced back with an incredibly talented [and totally under the radar, in terms of buzz] prospect like Dolezaj is a tremendous rebound for the staff.

Need to pull one more rabbit out of our hat with Thorpe, and I think we'd have the components of a potentially good squad.

Even if we get Thorpe it won't mean we get a huge bump. We shall see how this class pans out but we missed out on a lot of recruits in 17. I'm not counting on Ayala to sign in 17 but maybe he will change his mind

in the country and fourth in the ACC. Brissett and Dolezaj are both top 70 players and Sidibe is four star. Not a terrible haul for a down year.

Said it before and said it again. Trust the Process!

Lots of hand wringing, lots of panic, lots of doomsday. We missed some kids...big deal. Not our best class ever but once again a top 20 class and could be higher soon. Top 20 this year, #18 last year, #8 the year before. I would say that is high level recruiting.

We have rebuilt the roster for long term, added long term players, added depth and talent. Congrats Jimmy B for achieving once again.

Trust the Damn process!

Lots of hand wringing, lots of panic, lots of doomsday. We missed some kids...big deal. Not our best class ever but once again a top 20 class and could be higher soon. Top 20 this year, #18 last year, #8 the year before. I would say that is high level recruiting.

We have rebuilt the roster for long term, added long term players, added depth and talent. Congrats Jimmy B for achieving once again.

Trust the Damn process!
What process?

That was the crazy thing -- we knew that if we landed a couple of good prospects, that this could be a highly rated class. It just didn't seem like things were going to go our way when Tucker / Ayala [who were both rumored commits at one time] balked. That we bounced back with an incredibly talented [and totally under the radar, in terms of buzz] prospect like Dolezaj is a tremendous rebound for the staff.

Need to pull one more rabbit out of our hat with Thorpe, and I think we'd have the components of a potentially good squad.
I want Thorpe as well - but I think that might be an exaggeration. I think we offered Thorpe, he'd come. "Pulling a rabbit out of our hat" would be landing Bowen. I don't know if that was your intention with that phrase, but I think we have Thorpe if we want him, it shouldn't take much effort on our part. Seems like he's waiting for our offer.

A lot of fans aren't looking past not having what they consider a headliner type recruit in this class. Put Moyer and Hughes as part of this group and its a deep well rounded class.

Trust the Damn process!

I really like what we did with this class and how it sets us up with the next 3/4 seasons and the next few classes. I agree we missed out on some kids but we also misjudged a couple situations very badly and it cost us other available players who were very good.

Its completely disingenuous to say trust the process as if its been the same process that has been going on for years. We had a succession plan, the process changed drastically early last year, the end of the 16 cycle and the complete 17 cycle where the strangest I can remember and then Hopkins left for Washington. Things have changed a lot.

Last edited:
We just dropped one spot because FSU signed MJ Walker, but overall our guys are graded higher than theirs. They just have 6 new guys and we have 4.

We just need a PG and we can hopefully make a run to the tournament next year.
Yep. Sign Thorpe, and then we at least have a roster with no gaping holes. Not necessarily high end ACC talent across the line, but it gives us a fighting chance to make the dance. Nothing worse than thinking we have no chance against the big boys.

I still think 2017-2018 looks bleak, by our standards. But the framework for a much better team thereafter is settling into place. Our major hurdle is still finding a legit, high-end PG and overall guard talent/depth, coupled with outside shooting.

We just dropped one spot because FSU signed MJ Walker, but overall our guys are graded higher than theirs. They just have 6 new guys and we have 4.
So he had to sign with them cause we smartly ignored him

I still think 2017-2018 looks bleak, by our standards.

I don't. I think of this as a six person class. This will be the sophomore cohort in 2018-19
PG 6-3 Howard Washington
SG 6-5 Elijah Hughes
CF 6-6 Oshae Brissett
CF 6-8 Matthew Moyer
CF 6-9 Marek Dolezaj
C 6-10 Bourama Sidibe

True, there is not an obvious home-run, sure-thing star among them, but that is a very long and athletic cohort - physically, just about the perfect Boeheim-system class. The only one who does not tick the athleticism box is Washington, but he is the guy ESPN calls the savviest, highly skilled & highest BB IQ point guard in the class - qualities that are more important for a PG than athleticism.

(NOTE: I don't really consider those three guys to be combo forwards, but at this point I'm not sure exactly what will end up being their best positions. Originally I had listed them as F-for-Forward, but the system automatically deleted the single letter, I guess assuming that when used alone it stands for F-for-FWord :) )

Last edited:
I don't. I think of this as a six person class. This will be the sophomore cohort in 2018-19
PG 6-3 Howard Washington
SG 6-5 Elijah Hughes
6-6 Oshae Brissett
6-8 Matthew Moyer
6-9 Marek Dolezaj
C 6-10 Bourama Sidibe

True, there is not an obvious home-run, sure-thing star among them, but that is a very long and athletic cohort - physically, just about the perfect Boeheim-system class. The only one who does not tick the athleticism box is Washington, but he is the guy ESPN calls the savviest, highly skilled & highest BB IQ point guard in the class - qualities that are more important for a PG than athleticism.
I was referring to our prospects for the season, not recruiting. Though I suppose that applies too.

We're going to be extremely young with numerous new guys trying to assimilate to the zone and question marks about scoring beyond Battle/TT. We also have a major PG question mark. So, on paper, it could be a pretty sizable struggle, but hopefully we see the team get better and make a strong push in ACC play.

I was referring to our prospects for the season, not recruiting. Though I suppose that applies too.

We're going to be extremely young with numerous new guys trying to assimilate to the zone and question marks about scoring beyond Battle/TT. We also have a major PG question mark. So, on paper, it could be a pretty sizable struggle, but hopefully we see the team get better and make a strong push in ACC play.

Yes very young and lets be honest you never truly know how freshman will perform out of the gate. Not only are we young but we are all questioning if two of our returning guys can contribute at an ACC level. (Chukwu and Howard) PG to me is the biggest issue. Simply put I don't trust Frank to run the team and I don't like completely throwing Washington to the wolves as a frosh. If you add Thorpe you have a guy with experience at the point, size for the zone and can play the 2G. He checks a lot of boxes and basically allows our worries to be reduced to how well the young forwards do and how quickly the defense can come together.

I think you are worrying too much. We'll be integrating 4 freshman, but 1 of them has been in the program for a year. Two of the other three project to backup roles. Dolezaj is the only one right now who projects to heavy minutes, but he brings a lot of international experience against older players to the table.

They'll be supporting 2 sophomores who logged big minutes.

The big question marks for me are not the young guns, but with the two most experienced guys: Juniors Frank Howard & Pascal Chuckwu, neither of whom has remotely lived up to expectations. I'm crossing my fingers that Boeheim is right that Frank can have a Scoop Jardine-like progressions, because him being a competent PG is the key to the whole season.

IMHO.

Yes very young and lets be honest you never truly know how freshman will perform out of the gate. Not only are we young but we are all questioning if two of our returning guys can contribute at an ACC level. (Chukwu and Howard) PG to me is the biggest issue. Simply put I don't trust Frank to run the team and I don't like completely throwing Washington to the wolves as a frosh. If you add Thorpe you have a guy with experience at the point, size for the zone and can play the 2G. He checks a lot of boxes and basically allows our worries to be reduced to how well the young forwards do and how quickly the defense can come together.
En
Notonly is Thorpe experienced he appears to be a really nice articulate kid that's loyal appears to have great character guys can rally around Can't underestimate leadership

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom