Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 103 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely, but Jesse is absolutely more skilled on offense than AO was imo. When AO was underneath the basket with the ball it was two points.

I would disagree with this, sort of. Jesse has great dexterity and can shoot a basketball almost like it's a softball in his hands. But Jesse is a poor dribbler, with suspect post moves because he seems to travel about 50% of the time when he gets the ball down low with a defender on his back. He's better looking at the basket, rather than playing with his back to the basket.

Arinze, on the other hand, may not have been the athlete that Jesse is, but he was sure handed down low, he had efficient footwork, and he could score over either shoulder. Jesse wasn't close to Arinze's post-up game.

We just got to a point where we decided the money we were spending on Jesse wasn’t worth it
Which is what was confusing early on, but clarified by multiple people who definitely have different sources. That confirmation is all I need to hear on this subject. It's too bad, because I like Jesse as a player and I was excited to see him play in a more uptempo offense that would showcase his skills.

He doesn't look that physical, though, to defend ACC centers. I would put him at about 220-230. If you're a relatively short center, you need to be stronger than that, like Otis Hill or Andre Hawkins or Orinze Onuaku.
Maybe - but who really posts guys up anymore? UNC?

Which is what was confusing early on, but clarified by multiple people who definitely have different sources. That confirmation is all I need to hear on this subject. It's too bad, because I like Jesse as a player and I was excited to see him play in a more uptempo offense that would showcase his skills.

Agreed, was shocked to hear he was leaving to be honest

Because everything I had heard leading up to this week was that we had him covered with NIL etc.

He was even at a team dinner the other week for the NCAA championship game….

Not sure Jesse even knew he was going to be entering the portal…..

Correct, especially because Jesse technically didn’t enter the portal until the other day

These offeres were coming in back in March. This is tampering no matter what NCAA world we are in. Jesse family isn’t going to admit to that, it’s a recruiting violation waiting to happen to whatever school he ends up at….

Ask yourself this, how can all of these other schools “figure it out” for Jesse

And we can’t?? Syracuse is slow to react at times but this time I can promise you, we had it under control

We just got to a point where we decided the money we were spending on Jesse wasn’t worth it
Is it the coaches or the collective that determines if the money is too much for a player and would be better allocated elsewhere? Hopefully everyones on the same page in that aspect.

I think it’s also important to note that with Coach Autry taking over, he’s looking to build his roster, his way.

He’s got a lot of young guys that he is building a team for.

Bringing Jesse back next season was a luxury.

However, Autry wasn’t going to blow his NIL load on a guy who essentially would be a rental on his team for a season. The value just didn’t add up for Jesse

Agreed, was shocked to hear he was leaving to be honest

Because everything I had heard leading up to this week was that we had him covered with NIL etc.

He was even at a team dinner the other week for the NCAA championship game….

Not sure Jesse even knew he was going to be entering the portal…..
This is what pisses me off. He acted like he was still a member of the team.

Ehhh. He’s 22. Granted parents are more involved than ever, but as someone who moved away at 18 and never looked back it’s pathetic to me.

Yeah, but when Dad is being told the money he’s going to make…………….

However, no inside info on how Jesse feels

That’s just guessing

Senior Rak was great, but before his senior year he didn’t do much. Less than 6 points and 5 rebounds a game.

I think the skill was there but they didn’t give him the ball.

There is definitely a debate.

Rak just didn’t WANT IT enough

If Jesse makes an extra $250,000 after taxes at another program, and puts that entire delta into the market and earns an average rate of return of 9%, in 42 years when he's 65 he would have $10.8m dollars for retirement without contributing another penny of earnings. Inflation would significantly eat into that, but that's certainly a nice thing to have at 23 years old. And that's just investing the delta, so it's assuming he spends the money earned that's equal to the amount Cuse offered.

I hate him for leaving, and he's dead to me, but I can see how a Father might look at things in this light. If he just blows the extra money on cars or other things, it will be gone in no time and he'll regret leaving the Cuse family and losing all the love he got from Cuse fans. But Jesse and his family seem like smart people, so I doubt he's doing this to buy rolexes and a lamborghini. Sucks for the fans, his teammates, and our new coach, though.

Ok so now we are trashing Mike like Axe. I dont think both of these guys are wrong.
How am I trashing waters? I have a ton of respect for waters. Axe I admittedly find annoying. I haven't read his article, I'm just saying, if he's reporting that we couldn't "figure it out," meaning we weren't able to get Jesse ANY NIL...he is being fed information that is not accurate.

I don’t know for sure, but from I have heard, that the collectives talk to the coaches about who/where they want to spend the money on
I would imagine it’s different for returning players vs recruits as well.

It was at the time. The father kept searching for
more money elsewhere.
Edwards, a native of the Netherlands, decided to leave Syracuse after the university was unable to find a way to get him opportunities for NIL money in accordance with governmental issues surrounding his status as an international student. Other schools have been able to create NIL opportunities for international student-athletes.
This was written yesterday and updated today from Mike Waters...so what do you mean it was at the time?

Edwards, a native of the Netherlands, decided to leave Syracuse after the university was unable to find a way to get him opportunities for NIL money in accordance with governmental issues surrounding his status as an international student. Other schools have been able to create NIL opportunities for international student-athletes.
This was written yesterday and updated today from Mike Waters...so what do you mean it was at the time?

That was from the Jesse point of view. If you read through there is more to the story.

I swear SU has to have the only fans that hope our good players go to other programs and win a championship. LOL. Can you imagine reading on a UM board, “Personally, I hope Hunter goes to Syracuse and they win the title”? What a joke.
1. Let’s take one comment by one person and color the whole fan base. Wholly logical.

2. Yes cuse fans are unlike any other fanbase in the country. Just like the weather in your city, no matter what city, is the most unpredictable (“you know what they say around here if you don’t like the weather just wait an hour”)

3. If more cuse fans had higher standards and expectations the program would be so much better off. Damn everyone who wishes good things for good people!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Jesse didn't create this mess of a system but he would be a fool to not take advantage of it.

He is a smart guy who, in addition to hoops, came to SU to get his degree. He did. It is the norm to do your graduate work in science at a different school than the one where you got your degree. It just stands out in this case because of basketball being the over-riding factor..

Let's say that, as has been mentioned, that we offered $350K and someone else came in at $750K. IF...IF...that is true, then consider the following:

G-League players get $40K. Two-way G League players get $500K.

Even had he stayed at SU he would have made far more than the average G-Leaguer AND he now stands to make more next year than Buddy or Cole.

There aren't many young single people who, if everything else was equal, wouldn't jump at an offer that was twice what they were making at their current job. Even if they liked their company. So I get it. He comes from Amsterdam, one of my very favorite cities in the world. A place where everyone is physically fit, the women are beautiful, and the houses are tiny. I have no idea what his family situation is like but who knows if that plays a factor. Did his Dad push him in this direction? Perhaps, but he didn't Devito us by bailing in mid-season.

As he is a fellow Syracuse grad, I hope he does very well in life. As with any guy who leaves, I will pay very little attention to him at his new school but at the same time I will secretly hope that he plays for Boeheim's Army somewhere down the road. I mean, he owes us that, right? In the sense that he owes us anything at all in this crazy new paradigm. To quote Ron Burgandy, as it pertains to how NIL has exploded: "Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast."

I mourn the loss of Jesse's talent but I have moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.