Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 104 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nailed it.

Jesse should follow the advice of his fellow Scandinavian rock stars, and listen to his heart.
He's not Scandanavian*.

* - from another Dutchie. ;)

Interesting that Jesse played for Jim Boeheim who’s in the Hall of Fame and is down to 2 other Hall of Fame coaches for his new destination. Mark Few probably should be in the Hall of Fame but isn’t yet.

I think it’s also important to note that with Coach Autry taking over, he’s looking to build his roster, his way.

He’s got a lot of young guys that he is building a team for.

Bringing Jesse back next season was a luxury.

However, Autry wasn’t going to blow his NIL load on a guy who essentially would be a rental on his team for a season. The value just didn’t add up for Jesse

Aren't all these guys "rentals" nowadays? What does it matter if you pay a 5th year guy vs. a 1st year guy? They still want to be paid; and it's still a year-to-year proposition.

Aren't all these guys "rentals" nowadays? What does it matter if you pay a 5th year guy vs. a 1st year guy? They still want to be paid; and it's still a year-to-year proposition.
As they prove their ability (both to SU and opponents) their value goes up.

Coaches/contributors also have to compare the values of all players on the roster.

In Jesse's case, if it was $350k vs. $400k/$450k I believe that he would've stayed.
If it truly is $350k vs $750k then it's hard to blame him for leaving.

He's a great guy and really loved the whole Syracuse experience.
I had hoped to have seen him play for the Orange again next year.

Last edited:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Jesse didn't create this mess of a system but he would be a fool to not take advantage of it.

He is a smart guy who, in addition to hoops, came to SU to get his degree. He did. It is the norm to do your graduate work in science at a different school than the one where you got your degree. It just stands out in this case because of basketball being the over-riding factor..

Let's say that, as has been mentioned, that we offered $350K and someone else came in at $750K. IF...IF...that is true, then consider the following:

G-League players get $40K. Two-way G League players get $500K.

Even had he stayed at SU he would have made far more than the average G-Leaguer AND he now stands to make more next year than Buddy or Cole.

There aren't many young single people who, if everything else was equal, wouldn't jump at an offer that was twice what they were making at their current job. Even if they liked their company. So I get it. He comes from Amsterdam, one of my very favorite cities in the world. A place where everyone is physically fit, the women are beautiful, and the houses are tiny. I have no idea what his family situation is like but who knows if that plays a factor. Did his Dad push him in this direction? Perhaps, but he didn't Devito us by bailing in mid-season.

As he is a fellow Syracuse grad, I hope he does very well in life. As with any guy who leaves, I will pay very little attention to him at his new school but at the same time I will secretly hope that he plays for Boeheim's Army somewhere down the road. I mean, he owes us that, right? In the sense that he owes us anything at all in this crazy new paradigm. To quote Ron Burgandy, as it pertains to how NIL has exploded: "Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast."

I mourn the loss of Jesse's talent but I have moved on.
Devito graduated and lost his job. He didn't owe anyone anything given the writing on the wall especially from the fan base while he was still the starter. If the fans knew that there were parents and family members on his side of the ball that complained about the O line in private, the discourse would be different around him.

Devito graduated and lost his job. He didn't owe anyone anything given the writing on the wall especially from the fan base while he was still the starter. If the fans knew that there were parents and family members on his side of the ball that complained about the O line in private, the discourse would be different around him.

Sorry, but he quit in midseason, and then Shrader got hurt.

So, if he wasn't a quitter, he might have won his job back.

But that's not his character. He quit on his teammates when things didn't go his way.

there were moments. Every player has moments...

on the season Jesse was 64 turnovers, 49 assists. Maybe I am misinterpreting that stat but doesn't scream high bball IQ to me. (for comparison sake nikola jokic has 678 assists and 247 turnovers this year - that is high bball IQ)

Call me crazy but maybe that's why opponents started double-teaming him second-half of the season and not simply because he is a good scorer. just a thought. he did improve but he started from the bottom. and didn't get far...

As far as rebounds a game...he was under strict orders to stay within 4 feet of the basket basically all game (aside from corner 3s...lol)...JB kept him in the paint.

since the forwards couldnt rebound and werent exactly going to take many rebounds away from jesse - it was jesse's job...he did it well...but how exactly is being the tallest player on the court evidence of IQ? did he smart himself into having long arms?

if i can lift my hands up as high as i can does that mean i have a high IQ?

if I catch something that falls into my lap does that make me an elite athlete??

Speaking of being in the paint - does anyone have a stat on how many uncontested layups and dunks SU gave up with Jesse at center the last couple of seasons? I don't but I'm willing to bet the numbers on that would be putrid. For every block jesse got there had to 5 uncontested lobs or layups ...he was often a seive in the paint

why?

well because for the vast majority of his college career he couldnt stay on the floor without picking up a ton of silly fouls - again, not a high IQ indicator - now, you might say well he stopped fouling out - evidence of improvement! - not so fast. The reason he stopped fouling out is because JB basically had to tell him to just let people score and dont play defense basically. which brings me back to all of the uncontested dunks and layups teams had when jesse was in the game last couple of years.

when he first started out - he would actually play defense and he made a difference before always fouling out in a short amount of time...once he was a starter that stopped (by design)...he was a huge orange traffic cone, mostly.

yeah he got "his"...unsurprisingly...thats all these players care about it seems nowadays. for me, a lot of jesse's stats are empty stats...watching him play...it was s obvious to me that he didnt grow up around the game...didnt play much pickup with actual ballers and likely came to the game very late in his life...and didnt really understand how to have agency on the court to efect wins and losses...like at all.

(if you look at him and jg3's stats...you'd be like danngggg these guys are ballers! wow amazing. nope. they couldnt barely get over 500 the last two seasons combined as junior and senior starters...for a reason: empty stats.)

im sure he is "smart" ...as a person. but high basketball IQ??? no chance.

he has low bball IQ.

by the way, i didnt even mention his glacial footwork on defense...it was 3 stooges bad often times

my suggestion: get a basketball player in the Center spot...one who can shoot pass and dribble and watch what it does for the team.
This post comes from a time warp perspective, ie; Freshman Jesse.
We are losing a good college player who's gotten better every year. IMO, he has a legit shot at the Association, and definitely will get paid to play somewhere.
But...he's not irreplaceable which was my original point. We'll find an adequate replacement if things fall into place. But to suggest we won't be losing a big piece is patently ridiculous. JMHO

If you want a good laugh look at Jesse's NIL valuation here. Can't believe people take some of the stuff these sites post seriously.

I think Jesse can go after spending 4 years at SU. He produced for us and was very effective. Good luck to him and the IMHO people bashing him for going to a team dinner and then making the decision to Portal are off base. He signed for 4 years and he gave 4 years. Honest recruit. Good luck to him and lets see what our new coach can bring to the center position.

GO CUSE

That was from the Jesse point of view. If you read through there is more to the story.
I did read through it and it was a statement from Mike…..no quote from Jesse at all. He may have devised it from Jesse’s father and what he received as a response from the University but it came from Mike Waters.

I did read through it and it was a statement from Mike…..no quote from Jesse at all. He may have devised it from Jesse’s father and what he received as a response from the University but it came from Mike Waters.

I understand that. I also don't take one reporter's comment that is quite generalized and run with it.

I think Jesse can go after spending 4 years at SU. He produced for us and was very effective. Good luck to him and the IMHO people bashing him for going to a team dinner and then making the decision to Portal are off base. He signed for 4 years and he gave 4 years. Honest recruit. Good luck to him and lets see what our new coach can bring to the center position.

GO CUSE
I get all that and he was a good player and a good guy but give me a break on being all happy for Jesse leaving. We are a beat down fan base that hates the current system created by brain dead morons in charge of the future of college sports. Why don’t they just insert Brent Axe into whatever is the most powerful position in college sports Is. He was overwhelmingly in favor of all these wonderful new rules.

I understand that. I also don't take one reporter's comment that is quite generalized and run with it.
It isn’t one reporter…….it’s freaking Mike Waters. Don’t make it sound like it was the “ Boom goes the Dynamite” kid.

It isn’t one reporter…….it’s freaking Mike Waters. Don’t make it sound like it was the “ Boom goes the Dynamite” kid.

Kid? Lol you are a peach... tone it down.I know who Waters is and ive been around a long while. I also read everything else that's out there. You're just being a pompous ass at this point.

Entitled to your opinion- doesn't make you right.

Kid? Lol you are a peach... tone it down.I know who Waters is and ive been around a long while. I also read everything else that's out there. You're just being a pompous ass at this point.

Entitled to your opinion- doesn't make you right.
I don’t have an opinion, I’m trying to understand what the hell is going on like everybody else. I just quoted people with no opinion of my own whatsoever. No need for name calling.

As if those aren't at every party on Ostrom, Euclid and Ackerman. SU just doesn't want to see it.

That's quite a bit different in every possible, relevant aspect.

Getting screwed? Lol!
Regular student being charged insane tuition are getting screwed not a guy offered a free ride plus a stipend.
Don’t like the offer don’t sign!
Now get off my lawn!

It's strange that in a country obsessed with people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and allowing free markets to determine the value of services that there is an apparently popular exception to those preferences that applies only to a group of NCAA athletes that will never go pro, but nonetheless are skilled enough to make their coaches, schools, TV executives, sneaker executives, rich for a precious couple of years.

Well, what’s that kid saying?

I don’t have an opinion, I’m trying to understand what the hell is going on like everybody else. I just quoted people with no opinion of my own whatsoever. No need for name calling.

I was simply responding to your condescending tone which was unnecessary all the same. Respectable sources don't have the same details as Mike. Jesse struggled and was lacking confidence in his answers when he did the interview. I'm not leaning one way to say Mike is wrong.. simply pointing out that there are differences from more than one trusted source here.

Arinze barely averaged 10 a game his last two years and only averaged over 8 rebounds once.
2009-2010 was elite team and perimeter oriented. The year before was also guard dominated. We didn’t need to run a lot through the post those years, but when we needed an easy bucket inside we could get it. AO could pretty much score at will as a senior in one on one situations.

Last edited:
So Mike Waters article today seems to confirm that we did NOT figure out the whole work visa thing and couldn’t offer Jesse anything while other schools HAVE found a way around this. That’s extremely disappointing.
At the same time, hearing so many on this board claiming we were outbid for Jesse appears to be more misinformation from insiders.
Mike and Donna are taking the Edwards camp’s word on this. They need to do a better job interrogating and getting the other side of the story from Syracuse perspective. But our coaches don’t want to make Edwards and the family look bad. So it’s not easy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.