Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 105 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, especially because Jesse technically didn’t enter the portal until the other day

These offeres were coming in back in March. This is tampering no matter what NCAA world we are in. Jesse family isn’t going to admit to that, it’s a recruiting violation waiting to happen to whatever school he ends up at….

Ask yourself this, how can all of these other schools “figure it out” for Jesse

And we can’t?? Syracuse is slow to react at times but this time I can promise you, we had it under control

We just got to a point where we decided the money we were spending on Jesse wasn’t worth it
If the Dutch grad rumor is true, couldn't the work around be the Dutch grad paying Jesse's father for some sort of consulting gig or a shell company that Jesse or his family was in charge of back in the Netherlands, and then his father could just gift his son the money or pay him through the shell company?

As long as the taxes are paid and covered, technically it happened overseas and wasn't directly to the player.

Mike and Donna are taking the Edwards camp’s word on this. They need to do a better job interrogating and getting the other side of the story from Syracuse perspective. But our coaches don’t want to make Edwards and the family look bad.
Can the coaches even give comments about this as regards to NIL and what was on the table?

It isn’t one reporter…….it’s freaking Mike Waters. Don’t make it sound like it was the “ Boom goes the Dynamite” kid.

That kid's video was SOO funny!

Mike and Donna are taking the Edwards camp’s word on this. They need to do a better job interrogating and getting the other side of the story from Syracuse perspective. But our coaches don’t want to make Edwards and the family look bad.

Axe finally came around. Him and Waters are on different sides now.

Ding ding ding ding

It got to a price where we said ehhhhhhhh not worth it

Have to remember portal and NIL is like free agency…every team sees guys at a certain value now…

I mean we signed JJ Starling, I promise, he wasn’t cheap. Obviously, Coach Autry said enough was enough with the bidding war for Jesse and let him walk.

This stuff always gets messy when parents/agents/minders get involved

We had the money we were willing to pay Jesse…but we weren’t going to over pay for him
This makes me happy.

Here’s my very unpopular opinion. Jesse is way overrated. He gets moved off his spot on both ends on the court extremely easily.

His rebounding numbers are unbelievably inflated because last years starting forwards were statues.

Get me a more physical defensive center who can hedge and retreat and I think we’re in better shape at the 5.

We are not zoning next year. We needs a guy who can chase a bit more.

This makes me happy.

Here’s my very unpopular opinion. Jesse is way overrated. He gets moved off his spot on both ends on the court extremely easily.

His rebounding numbers are unbelievably inflated because last years starting forwards were statues.

Get me a more physical defensive center who can hedge and retreat and I think we’re in better shape at the 5.

This. He was abused by every physical opponent. When he wasn’t fouling. And the dad.
WVU’s problem now.

2009-2010 was elite team and perimeter oriented. The year before was also guard dominated. We didn’t need to run a lot through the post those years, but when we needed an easy bucket inside we could get it. AO could pretty much score at will as a senior in one on one situations.
Yeah, and even though they both started…Jackson and AO didn’t spend much time on the court together. It was usually one or the other - and they were both good. AO didn’t get the minutes to put up huge numbers.

Absolutely, but Jesse is absolutely more skilled on offense than AO was imo. When AO was underneath the basket with the ball it was two points.

Jesse was the third option this year and the fourth or fifth last year and still put up great counting stats.

I’m not even going to pretend I looked at the stats but I think the advanced stats would probably give the edge to Jesse as well, just guessing.
Arinze was a monster for Syracuse. He was a critical part of the Syracuse teams he played for. Could score and rebound and was only 6’8” or 6’9”. While public opinion may suggest Edwards as a better player, i would rather have AO.

Yeah, and even though they both started…Jackson and AO didn’t spend much time on the court together. It was usually one or the other - and they were both good. AO didn’t get the minutes to put up huge numbers.

Well, we did play them both in a high-low offense. It was basically Wes, Kris and Rick rotating among the twp forward spots, with Rick sliding over to the middle when Arinze was out, and Southerland, I think was the 4th forward for his outside shooting.

This makes me happy.

I can’t believe he’s going to play for Huggins. If he thought JB got on him he’s got something coming…

Every physical team shut him down last season.

Arinze was a monster for Syracuse. He was a critical part of the Syracuse teams he played for. Could score and rebound and was only 6’8” or 6’9”. While public opinion may suggest Edwards as a better player, i would rather have AO.

AO was legit Unguardable his senior year. Amazing footwork, knew how to use his body and soft hands. Ahh the good ole days

They're in the Final Four at minimum with AO. SU kept his injury status mum before Selection Sunday because it was believed they'd have dropped from the 1 seed had it been known he was done for the season. He was only 6'9", but he was huge for his size. Built like a linebacker.

This makes me happy.

I agree with all of that. He wasn't "all that", but I have a hard time seeing who we're going to get that's better.

Do you think we can get the kind of talent we need in the ACC and to aspire to be a Top 25 team? I could see Hima being an effective part of a two-headed center rotation. But we need a guy who is a legit low post scorer and good rebounder.

Have you seen any portal guys that you like?

I can’t believe he’s going to play for Huggins. If he thought JB got on him he’s got something coming…

Every physical team shut him down last season.
The flip side of this, if he does go to WV, is that he will get banged around everyday in practice by players who have all been drilled to play that way. He might be better prepared. But maybe not.

I do agree with your larger point. The book is out on how to defend him. Still wished he stayed here.

And the truth lies certainly between. I have heard the truth from one side, so that is how he feels. That is valid. The other side has justification, the two sides have to swallow their pride and get together if they truly want what is best for Syracuse athletics.
Are you talking Jesse or AW?

I don't think anyone mentioned that Jesse will be an SU alum in about a month. He will always be one of us. He will spend one year someplace as a grad student. Bottom line is Jesse is Orange and always will be and could some day be a benefit to our school. All of this aside from NIL. You can't take the alum out of Jesse.

Waters came around in his mailbag today and acknowledged there are differing sides to this story.

Yea he’s straddling the fence right now. He’s still wrong in some of his statements.

I don't think anyone mentioned that Jesse will be an SU alum in about a month. He will always be one of us. He will spend one year someplace as a grad student. Bottom line is Jesse is Orange and always will be and could some day be a benefit to our school. All of this aside from NIL. You can't take the alum out of Jesse.
Exactly he played four freaking years

I find it interesting that Coach Autry has not sent out a tweet in support of Jesse. They did it quickly after Joe went into the portal.
That statement right there should be good enough to keep this thread going for another five pages before it veers off into a random debate about Hanes vs. Fruit of the Loom for another five pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.