Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 142 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why you guys are arguing with me :confused:. Why didn't they go to an SEC school? I don't know - they came here because they like Syracuse, it's a great brand, they like the coaches, it's hometown for one of them, it's a good basketball fit, and the NIL money was right for them.

People are trying to twist my words to mean Cuse can't compete with NIL and every single player should go to the SEC. That's not what I wrote. All I wrote -- and my only point -- is that if programs get the sense Cuse can't hold onto players it develops, that would invite more tampering than it otherwise would experience. It doesn't matter whether it's true, it only matters what programs think is true. Even if we outbid other programs for our guys, it would be a problem because numbers would be getting driven up. To combat that issue, hopefully Cuse proves it's strong with NIL. It will still endure tampering, but it won't be as much of a target.

So what will be most important in the NIL world is output. We don't have a strong enough sampling to say where we stand on NIL. We do have two coveted transfers committed and then one major loss that had a ton of publicity around it where as the other two did not. So when we know our center and the Judah situation plus any other addition, it will be a better look into where we stand. Not the end all be all but more a snapshot.

Asking a question is considered arguing? I’m responding to you because you’re only listening to one side of the story.
You're right, I apologize, we're not arguing. What side of the story am I listening to? I think you're inferring from my posts that I believe everything Weitsman said and believe Cuse can't compete with NIL. That is not what I'm saying. I'm only saying this negative press could cause Cuse to be a target for more tampering in the short-term. That's it. I'm not saying Cuse doesn't have competitive NIL money. And I'm not inferring anything else.

I don't know why you guys are arguing with me :confused:. Why didn't they go to an SEC school? I don't know - they came here because they like Syracuse, it's a great brand, they like the coaches, it's hometown for one of them, it's a good basketball fit, and the NIL money was right for them.

People are trying to twist my words to mean Cuse can't compete with NIL and every single player should go to the SEC. That's not what I wrote. All I wrote -- and my only point -- is that if programs get the sense Cuse can't hold onto players it develops, that would invite more tampering than it otherwise would experience. It doesn't matter whether it's true, it only matters what programs think is true. Even if we outbid other programs for our guys, it would be a problem because numbers would be getting driven up. To combat that issue, hopefully Cuse proves it's strong with NIL. It will still endure tampering, but it won't be as much of a target.
I don't have a dog in this debate with you. But i think that what you perceive as "arguing" is more about posters trying to respectfully (mostly) explain to you why your take about other schools now targeting SU players even more now might be a little off. The consensus seems to be that SU is reasonably competitive in the world of NIL relative to funding. Whether that continues remains to be seen. But, IMO, you are overgeneralizing the impact of being outbid by WV - a program that was reported to be the #1 funded NIL program in the country currently.

SU will not set the market for NIL. Other programs will continue to reach out/tamper with players. Like it or not, this is the new reality. The Jesse situation (which was complicated by his Visa status) will have little if any long or short term impact on the reality of that tampering continuing one way or the other. What matters is how well SU is able to adapt and manage the roster relative to the NIL that they have available. In which case, the second half of your 1st paragraph is all that really matters.

I think you and a large portion of our fans are buying into official numbers a bit much. Everyone who's covering this nationally says most of the offers thrown around are inflated. Again everyone could be wrong, but I doubt it if it’s being discussed this much by national analysts.
I will say that NIL numbers I’ve been told by someone connected to various other coaching staffs line up with the higher numbers out there.

I will say, $150k seems about right for a player like Chance (esp after him RSing most of his freshman year)

I will say that NIL numbers I’ve been told by someone connected to various other coaching staffs line up with the higher numbers out there.

I will say, $150k seems about right for a player like Chance (esp after him RSing most of his freshman year)

The number you could have been told could 100% be true.

However, that number may never be hit and even have a higher chance of not being hit than being hit.

Guys we gained two potential NBA draft pics for less than the price of one Jesse.

That is the summary of this.

Yess we still need another C.

Jesse cared more about the money and looking good than he did about the coaches who helped pave his way and the school who made it all possible.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Or do. I stopped caring.
the-phrase-sour.jpg

Thank you! Just read the story.

It's not Donna's job to stick to fluff pieces like the PS/Syracuse.com has done for at least the last 15 years that I've been following the program. Obviously the article on its face doesn't make it look like we have our house in order, and Bristol's quotes are pretty damning on our current setup. It was clear early last season and maybe even earlier that Jesse was good enough to be pursued by other teams, so to hear that the collective only sprung into action over the last month or so is inexcusable IMO.

And tampering is gonna happen, but like anything else, until the NCAA shows that they're going to police it you can't rely on them as a guardrail.

Maybe WVU would still come with a higher offer, but for our NIL structure to be so unprepared is very disappointing. Hopefully they use this as an opportunity to get better.
No honor amongst thieves. Let's tamper away!

Jesse is graduating with his degree so it's a milestone. If he wants to go to WV for a graduate degree with more $, fine. I guess what folks are disappointed at his his exit words, or may be the rumor that he had a verbal understanding with cuse that he turned his back on. Tough situation, may be it's him may be his dad who knows. He is still an alum like it or not.

Jeff Goodman says there's no way Edwards comes close to touching 800k.
He actually said generally, it’s his opinion that you can cut the public NIL $ in half for just about anyone.

It does make me think that Jessie’s offer is incentive laden.

In light of the Huggy Bear situation, I hope our coaches are pushing Jesse to return. There’s no reason for him to go to West Virginia with those inflated NIL numbers that are unlikely anywhere close to reality. He’ll get some good NIL here next season—and probably more than he was pitched, especially if we have a great season with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom