Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 141 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether you agree with it or not, the word is out for anyone listening that Cuse just lost its second best player due to NIL. It doesn't matter what actually happened. It doesn't matter how much NIL money Cuse has. My point is someone might see Cuse got outbid for Jesse in the high six figures, and might kick the tires with Judah with a similar offer. Maybe it doesn't work, but maybe it does.

Like everyone has said, there's a point where the bidding gets ridiculous and the staff shouldn't pay the player. A program that's a guard short of a big season might be willing to pay more than anyone else. Who knows. But we shouldn't assume just because we the fans know our NIL is ok and we got JJ and Chance (who were cheaper than Jesse) that someone in another part of the country won't at least try. The last thing we need is to be the target of constant tampering and bidding wars for our own guys.

A few corrections- it would be if the story was still getting traction. I shared this concern when the story was being pushed and refreshed every two days. It's now stopped and the media has moved on as well as a certain person doesn't seem to be so adamant to get more press.

This is key and if it stays that way then this fades. The last storyline, as Goodman made comment to is Westry and Starling coming in. This counters the NIL failures story that now has an offset. A national podcast doubting that SU sucks at NIL is where we want to be and that's where we are today. Keep it on this path and we are where we should be.

The sad part is I don't think he saw it as trashing SU. Not excusing him because he should have made sure he prepared his comments properly. That said the talk and backlash is probably somewhat of a surprise and he is learning the hard way.

I've always been simultaneously annoyed by and admired Central New Yorkers ability to never forget even fairly minor slights.

Whether you agree with it or not, the word is out for anyone listening that Cuse just lost its second best player due to NIL. It doesn't matter what actually happened. It doesn't matter how much NIL money Cuse has. My point is someone might see Cuse got outbid for Jesse in the high six figures, and might kick the tires with Judah with a similar offer. Maybe it doesn't work, but maybe it does.

Like everyone has said, there's a point where the bidding gets ridiculous and the staff shouldn't pay the player. A program that's a guard short of a big season might be willing to pay more than anyone else. Who knows. But we shouldn't assume just because we the fans know our NIL is ok and we got JJ and Chance (who were cheaper than Jesse) that someone in another part of the country won't at least try. The last thing we need is to be the target of constant tampering and bidding wars for our own guys.

Our 2nd best player who wouldn't have seen the court here if he played in any other era.

A few corrections- it would be if the story was still getting traction. I shared this concern when the story was being pushed and refreshed every two days. It's now stopped and the media has moved on as well as a certain person doesn't seem to be so adamant to get more press.

This is key and if it stays that way then this fades. The last storyline, as Goodman made comment to is Westry and Starling coming in. This counters the NIL failures story that now has an offset. A national podcast doubting that SU sucks at NIL is where we want to be and that's where we are today. Keep it on this path and we are where we should be.

People in the hoop business know the score on this stuff, as we understand it WVU literally had a Dutch uncle pay for this.

Michigan !!! is losing a big guy, the world is still maize and blue to them. We took a kid from Auburn and are looking at a Bama kid. I mean, jeesh...

I've always been simultaneously annoyed by and admired Central New Yorkers ability to never forget even fairly minor slights.

I'm a PA guy but being an alum and close enough I'll claim guilty by association to the CNY comment. I didn't like what he said either. After sitting on it though.. and having managed folks from many different cultures I really think it was a folly to do these interviews because of the gap between words and intent.

I'm a PA guy but being an alum and close enough I'll claim guilty by association to the CNY comment. I didn't like what he said either. After sitting on it though.. and having managed folks from many different cultures I really think it was a folly to do these interviews because of the gap between words and intent.

Isn't Dutch bluntness a stereotype?

Only? Lol that's not a low number...

The Tshiebwe and HD numbers are POY type figures at the very top. Jesse at near a mil is saying his value is near POY money. 150k for a guy like Westry is likely above his market potentially too but not nearly as far fetched
I mean higher profile transfers are offered much more than $150k in NIL

I mean higher profile transfers are offered much more than $150k in NIL

It's a select smaller group. The perception is they are. Again "offer" doesn't mean guarantee. 150k is a damn good number. Only a select number of schools' collectives can accommodate that kind of money. We must in that mix. It's not like 75 plus programs have that kind of support.

Which is weird because most people around here are excessively negative.

Or only a small group of NIL deals are known to the public
I think you and a large portion of our fans are buying into official numbers a bit much. Everyone who's covering this nationally says most of the offers thrown around are inflated. Again everyone could be wrong, but I doubt it if it’s being discussed this much by national analysts.

Or only a small group of NIL deals are known to the public

True but you only have to look at the market and what's being shared to deduce where most are falling.

I think you and a large portion of our fans are buying into official numbers a bit much. Everyone who's covering this nationally says most of the offers thrown around are inflated. Again everyone could be wrong, but I doubt it if it’s being discussed this much by national analysts.

Correct. Look at what's shared and then the takes on those numbers.

I think it has more to do with his being a foreign student than the money. If in fact Jesse is getting 800k I'm glad, we didn't match. Save those funds for Judah and a solid kid from the portal

Fans sway with the media. SEC coaching staffs with war chests get the scoop on who can be targeted, and then tamper. That's just the system in place now. Hopefully Cuse can prove they're strong in NIL and then programs likely will waste less time trying to tamper.

Fans sway with the media. SEC coaching staffs with war chests get the scoop on who can be targeted, and then tamper. That's just the system in place now. Hopefully Cuse can prove they're strong in NIL and then programs likely will waste less time trying to tamper.
Why didn’t Westry and Starling transfer to an Sec school?

Why didn’t Westry and Starling transfer to an Sec school?
I don't know why you guys are arguing with me :confused:. Why didn't they go to an SEC school? I don't know - they came here because they like Syracuse, it's a great brand, they like the coaches, it's hometown for one of them, it's a good basketball fit, and the NIL money was right for them.

People are trying to twist my words to mean Cuse can't compete with NIL and every single player should go to the SEC. That's not what I wrote. All I wrote -- and my only point -- is that if programs get the sense Cuse can't hold onto players it develops, that would invite more tampering than it otherwise would experience. It doesn't matter whether it's true, it only matters what programs think is true. Even if we outbid other programs for our guys, it would be a problem because numbers would be getting driven up. To combat that issue, hopefully Cuse proves it's strong with NIL. It will still endure tampering, but it won't be as much of a target.

I don't know why you guys are arguing with me :confused:. Why didn't they go to an SEC school? I don't know - they came here because they like Syracuse, it's a great brand, they like the coaches, it's hometown for one of them, it's a good basketball fit, and the NIL money was right for them.

People are trying to twist my words to mean Cuse can't compete with NIL and every single player should go to the SEC. That's not what I wrote. All I wrote -- and my only point -- is that if programs get the sense Cuse can't hold onto players it develops, that would invite more tampering than it otherwise would experience. It doesn't matter whether it's true, it only matters what programs think is true. Even if we outbid other programs for our guys, it would be a problem because numbers would be getting driven up. To combat that issue, hopefully Cuse proves it's strong with NIL. It will still endure tampering, but it won't be as much of a target.
Asking a question is considered arguing? I’m responding to you because you’re only listening to one side of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom