Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
And once they expose themselves for wanting to lose to Colgate every year, fire every single one of them and find people to run the University who have that Will to Win we've been hearing about.

No offense, but that "Will to Win" "movie" was a nice collection of interviews of the players and coaches, but the rest of it was crap.

I kind of call BS on this notion. We've got half the national media who graduated from SU, and none of them will write a big check? We brag about all the great business leaders who graduated from SU, and none of them will write a big check? We've got guys playing in the NFL and the NBA, and none of them will write a big check? I mean, come on. This is over.
No. No one will write a big check. They won’t write a big check because they’re smart and writing a big check is stupid. This is not the SEC or Big 12 or even Big 10. SU will most likely never be what is was (I say most likely because I still hope we can scrap things together).

I’ve hate saying this stuff, but been discussing it with alums for years. Saw this coming for over a decade, even before NIL came about.

At this point, it really doesn't matter. Whether it was "Column A" or "Column B", we wouldn't or couldn't do it. We're done as a program. This is a huge hit, and whoever Red can come up with isn't going to be remotely close to what Jesse could have done for us next year. This is a very sad day.
There has to be more to the story here.

I kind of call BS on this notion. We've got half the national media who graduated from SU, and none of them will write a big check? We brag about all the great business leaders who graduated from SU, and none of them will write a big check? We've got guys playing in the NFL and the NBA, and none of them will write a big check? I mean, come on. This is over.
Good businessmen don't sink money into an investment with no return. A sane person does not write a million dollar check just because. They can love basketball as much as they want but they likely dont love it more than money itself.

Are users here writing 10-15K checks and giving them to players? Personally, I dont send out huge chunks of money without knowing that I am getting something tangible in return.

No. No one will write a big check. They won’t write a big check because they’re smart and writing a big check is stupid. This is not the SEC or Big 12 or even Big 10. SU will most likely never be what is was (I say most likely because I still hope we can scrap things together).

I’ve hate saying this stuff, but been discussing it with alums for years. Saw this coming for over a decade, even before NIL came about.
NIL is a poor investment

Under JW and KS we have done very well with the Olympic and women's sports I will say that. That does nothing for the fact that those are fun stories to tell but footnotes if your a P6 that has experienced a major drop off in all 3 flagship athletic programs.

Actually, that started under Gross. He was the one who started paying big salaries to soccer coaches and coaches in women's sports.

I have a feeling this collective is pennys on the dollar compared to the guy the university chased away.

I was thinking the same thing. If that's the case, we will not be able to compete.
Other than bring celebrities to games, what did that guy, who said he would bring in a 5 star player every year, really do? We lost Flip and a few others to better NIL deals. He supposedly made deals with existing players which is nice, BUT we need difference makers.
Red can host recruits and be the nicest person in the world but he won't last if he doesn't find a rainmaker very soon.

Actually, that started under Gross. He was the one who started paying big salaries to soccer coaches and coaches in women's sports.

Good point.. so then outside JW and the facilities work we've gotten absolutely nothing positive in athletics that can point back to Kent.

Didn’t we just host Freeman a Top 40 prospect after landing Starling, who was #1 in the portal?

This stinks but woah now….
As I mentioned a few weeks ago this notion of getting back to where we need to be by “pounding the portal” is false hope. You have to retain also.

The NCAA has to cap this mess and have the contracts be made public

NIL is a poor investment

As a one-off, maybe. But if we had any big businesses left in this area (Wegman's? - LOL) they could benefit from a heightened affiliation with SU from being the lead NIL sponsor. It's like any other sponsorship from the perspective of the person writing the check.

Red better be scrambling to find millions per year in booster NIL money, or else his career is over before it even started.
That’s JB’s new job. He needs to get his butt back to Syracuse and do his new job!

It’s wild to me, the rumors are that when Straughn was hired he was bringing a big time transfer with him… turns out to be untrue, then rumors of Jesse unexpectedly hitting the portal start, and they are true. I know it’s not the case, but it feels like the news breaks bad for the Orange in every situation, haha
will ferrell anchorman GIF

How is it "skirting" federal law? There's a way to do it lawfully, and it's not difficult.
It is skirting because it requires a loophole to achieve, that is the exact definition of skirting.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago this notion of getting back to where we need to be by “pounding the portal” is false hope. You have to retain also.

The NCAA has to cap this mess and have the contracts be made public

Its gonna take them a decade at this rate which by that time wouldn't matter anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom