Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attacking college kid's privacy so we can pretend it helps make college sports fair >>>>
Well, salaries for professional athletes of the same age are public. And NIL has turned college into semi-pro.

If Covid did not happen, then there would not have been a 5th year option for sport atheletes.

Jesse and Joe would have been gone after this year.

Our recruiting was poor this year resulting in one 7’2” recruit mainly due to the unresolved head coaching decision.

The new head coach brought in one transfer which in turn offsets the star point guard‘s potential leaving for the NBA. He still has opportunities to bring in other players.

Future 2024 recruiting looks promising.

2023 will be one of a lot of opportunities but an up hill climb for a number of ACC teams.

what will be will be.

Can the Dickinson talk stop? We aren’t offering him the most money. Why would he want to come to an ACC bottom feeder? We don’t get any centers drafted. There’s no appeal for him. Not like we can say oh, you’ll start… he’s starting on any team in the country. We should have used our Dickinson plan on Ware from Oregon, before he signed with IU yesterday.
None of that is relevant because we have a new coach.

We’d make the NCAA’s with him on the team, and we won’t play the style that lends us to only recruiting tall skinny centers that can run around a lot so that’s irrelevant.

During the team’s visit to the Bahamas over the summer, Tshiebwe was able to take advantage of being outside the United States and complete deals that he wouldn’t have been able to stateside. According to The Athletic, the big man earned roughly $500,000 in just a week there.

Since then, he’s been able to navigate the NIL hurdles that exist for him and sign certain deals that fit the parameters of his visa. Boardroom breaks down Oscar Tshiebwe’s NIL earnings and deals at Kentucky.

He made over a million in NIL deals aside from the Bahamas trip… and we can’t find out any way to get Jesse some real money?

So you know super wealthy alums who won’t write the kinds of checks we’re talking about?

We aren’t talking about suburbanites with a couple of homes and some fun toys writing 10K checks. For the Filthy rich, NIL sponsorship would be a drop in the bucket. But maybe we don’t have enough filthy rich folks who are avid Cuse sports fans.
This is a massively flawed line of thinking. Filthy rich people don't usually just throw their money around willy nilly. They invest in things that will generate them a return, and normally a provable one at that. Most didn't become filthy rich by accident, and those that did tend to lose everything quickly. To the super rich (or at least those I have worked with in the past) a million dollars is a million dollars. Doesn't matter how many zeros you have in the bank account.

Weitsman (likely) wanted to give huge NIL deals to top players because he felt it could net him a return in terms of future relationships it could generate (for example, giving NIL to a Zion-type prospect - an NBA all star - nets more personal opportunity than a Jesse type player - a likely Euro featured player), not just because he loved Syracuse sports.

Last edited:
The NBA and the Premier League have a lot more player continuity to them. Makes it easier to know who is actually on the team - and you know a bunch of the guys playing for the opponent. That disappeared for me a few years ago with NCAA hoops. I don't know any of the other teams' players anymore. I only watch our games, and we've been trending bad for years. It's not like the quality of the NCAA basketball is so great anymore, either.
I feel the same way. I know it won’t be popular on here but I don’t give a shyte about some of our players. Mintz for example hasn’t been at SU for even a year. If he splits I’ll care about his future the same I do any other Joe blow of the street. Good luck, god bless, see ya.

Then we get guys like Jesse that I’ve watch develop the old school way for 4 years and he bails on his fifth year. Same with the two transfers in the secondary for football. I’m afraid major college sports has outgrown me. Oh well, more time for other hobbies I guess.

I hate the thought if this, but this situation is why loyalty needs to work both ways. Coaches should not feel bad going out and getting players in the portal who might ruffle feathers of players already on the team. A player could enter the portal on May 10 and totally screw the program.

Syracuse NIL.
IMG_3887.jpeg

We aren’t talking about suburbanites with a couple of homes and some fun toys writing 10K checks. For the Filthy rich, NIL sponsorship would be a drop in the bucket. But maybe we don’t have enough filthy rich folks who are avid Cuse sports fans.
Bingo

Huh? We turned JG3 into JJ.
Happy we got him, but JJ hasn't exactly produced like those guys yet and he grew up a mile from where I currently live in Baldwinsville. Acting like it's a given he will be a huge upgrade over Joe is asking JJ to improve quite a bit. Right now this is a bottom 5 ACC roster if Mintz does not return.

I hate the thought if this, but this situation is why loyalty needs to work both ways. Coaches should not feel bad going out and getting players in the portal who might ruffle feathers of players already on the team. A player could enter the portal on May 10 and totally screw the program.
That is where I'm heading in my thinking.

This is a massively flawed line of thinking. Filthy rich people don't usually just throw their money around willy nilly. They invest in things that will generate them a return, and normally a provable one at that. Most didn't become filthy rich by accident, and those that did tend to lose everything quickly. To the super rich (or at least those I have worked with in the past) a million dollars is a million dollars. Doesn't matter how many zeros you have in the bank account.

Weitsman (likely) wanted to give huge NIL deals to top players because he felt it could net him a return in terms of relationships (for example, giving NIL to a Zion-type prospect - an NBA all star - nets more personal opportunity than a Jesse type player - a likely Euro featured player), not just because.
You’re the one with the massively flawed line of thinking. John Ruiz at Miami signed a bunch of Miami athletes (Cavender twins, Nigel Pack, Norchad Amir, Isaac Wong and more) to six and seven figure NIL deals and more. And he actually went public with it, to much criticism. There’s guys like him at every school who are just a lot quieter about it. How do you think the blue bloods like Kentucky, UNC, Duke and UCLA (under Wooden) got so many top players to come to their schools? And their boosters weren’t getting any monetary ROI.

The chancellor is running a university. Not an NIL collective.
Understood, but a CEO is responsible for the whole company, a President is responsible for the whole country, and a Chancellor is responsible for the whole university.

You don’t think the administration is committed to athletics? I’m not sure why they’re spending $200 million in upgrades to the Dome and another $150 million on facility upgrades. Must be nice to have chump change around to just make these buildings look nice.
Im Not sure they are committed to doing everything they can to have top tier FB and hoops. Facilities is certainly one aspect of it, NIL is another. I’m just not sure.

This will make everyone happy. Flipkowski from Duke is returning for his sophomore season. Big bags in Duke.
Probably didn't get the feedback he hoped for re: lottery. There's more money in the mid to upper first round.

You’re the one with the massively flawed line of thinking. John Ruiz at Miami signed a bunch of Miami athletes (Cavender twins, Nigel Pack, Norchad Amir, Isaac Wong and more) to six and seven figure NIL deals and more. And he actually went public with it, to much criticism. There’s guys like him at every school who are just a lot quieter about it. How do you think the blue bloods like Kentucky and UCLA (under Wooden) got so many top players to come there? And their boosters weren’t getting any monetary ROI.
No, not at every school. Just certain crazy ones.

This isn’t true. We raised what was asked and have plenty of willing contributors. There’s only so much you can do if another program reaches out and says they can match and then some. We’ll see what happens.
Did we get last look? If so, did we say no?

You’re the one with the massively flawed line of thinking. John Ruiz at Miami signed a bunch of Miami athletes (Cavender twins, Nigel Pack, Norchad Amir, Isaac Wong and more) to high six figure NIL deals and more. And he actually went public with it, to much criticism. There’s guys like him at every school who are just quieter about it.
So because you can name ONE guy, a guy who just tanked his sketchy as hell company mind-you, that means every HNW individual is just like him? Please. I swear people have no business sense whatsoever. You wont throw 10Gs at a player but others should throw millions because you want to watch a basketball team play better. What a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.