Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, any way you want to rationalize this, this is the reality of being a Syracuse fan in this environment. You are telling me that the University/Boosters couldn't find a way to get this done, but another school can/will? To me, as a lifelong fan that is 50 now, that is unacceptable. YOU FIGURE IT OUT.

If you are not willing, or competent enough to get it done then just drop the facade. and fold up the D1 thing. Other programs get it done and Syracuse doesn't consistently now. What Syracuse doesn't grasp is the Hoops was/is your brand identity. Fund this and your university will prosper. Also, this is how you support your brand new coach coming after a Legend. nice. Find a goddamn way.

Piss or get off the pot...

My choice is "off the pot". This sucks. We have mostly sucked for the last 10 years in the two major sports, and I have been having less and less fun watching games. Last fall was a great "rising from the dead" for a couple months for football, but then it was back to our usual crap. It's just not fun anymore. It's hard getting to games, and I am just not enjoying it as much as I enjoy other sports.

Really think the only way a fundamental change happens, is if the Chancellor is attending basketball and football games in the Dome with several hundred of his close personal friends and family.

And to my point: "Weitsman says that he feels the SU chancellor doesn’t want him doing NIL any longer, especially with the attention and publicity that it brings to Syracuse University with Weitsman involved in NIL."

Did you miss the word “him”. The chancellor has not told anyone they can’t contribute NIL. Where’s all the talk about our two new sugar daddy’s to replace Adam? Some of you want to make general statements out of one situation. SU is not globally against NIL nor preventing people to donate.

Wonder how many years it will take for fans to stop showing up to the “record setting” Duke game. We may never beat them again.

So you think if you wanted to donate $1m to a collective SU wouldn’t let you.

Someone said we already have a million dollars in the collective.
So why isn't that enough to keep Jesse?
Are we giving it all to women athletes?
I noticed that the only person Weitsman mentioned was a female basketball player.

Did you miss the word “him”. The chancellor has not told anyone they can’t contribute NIL. Where’s all the talk about our two new sugar daddy’s to replace Adam? Some of you want to make general statements out of one situation. SU is not globally against NIL nor preventing people to donate.
Exactly. AW could contribute to the collective just like anyone else. It’s pretty clear what’s going on here

Short term will be bad for SU Hoops. Long term I would bet this is good for Syracuse University as a whole.

Kent wants to actually bring the school into a higher ranking status again. His job is to improve the student body experience holistically. Not just athletics.

I applaud him if this is part of a grander theme to get them back into the top 50 academically. This stuff matters when you are charging students 80k to come to Syracuse.
No disrespect to you but this is the stuff that crappy college sports teams say when they get the crap beat out of them on the field. Having top level sports programs is part of why Syracuse is currently able to charge 80K to come there. Not being able to complete in NIL will hurt SU as a University if the sports programs go down the tube.

Short term will be bad for SU Hoops. Long term I would bet this is good for Syracuse University as a whole.

Kent wants to actually bring the school into a higher ranking status again. His job is to improve the student body experience holistically. Not just athletics.

I applaud him if this is part of a grander theme to get them back into the top 50 academically. This stuff matters when you are charging students 80k to come to Syracuse.

I think this is overplayed though. Going to a top 50 vs top 200 academic institution matters more to a very small range of professions today. Rarely is of consideration in hiring decisions in my time of hiring kids out of school in Fin Services.

Back to Jesse - I can't fault a guy for looking for greener pastures that graduates. That student-athlete completely fulfilled their obligations.

That said, this situation is weird. Jesse seemed like a guy that Syracuse was a home away from home for. It seems like the best case scenario is going in the portal is a negotiating technique and we can get him back.

Feels wrong though.

I was told at the last home game that the chancellor didn't want SU to be associated with someone who associates with the people Weitsman associates with. Which is a joke in many ways.

I tried to slip in a 4th "associate" but couldn't get there

Oh, gosh, who wants to be associated with rappers and professional athletes? Ooooh, the horror.

Who does Syverud expect to fill the courtside seats - Jack Nicholson & Spike Lee?

I was told at the last home game that the chancellor didn't want SU to be associated with someone who associates with the people Weitsman associates with. Which is a joke in many ways.

I tried to slip in a 4th "associate" but couldn't get there
I mean Weitsman did himself no favors by claiming to rehab a sociopath in Shrekli. He gave the university an out.

Someone said we already have a million dollars in the collective.
So why isn't that enough to keep Jesse?
Are we giving it all to women athletes?
I noticed that the only person Weitsman mentioned was a female basketball player.
That is my question as well. How is the money distributed? Will they give Jesse $500k to stay next year? Or does he have to split it with a bunch of field hockey players.

Back to Jesse - I can't fault a guy for looking for greener pastures that graduates. That student-athlete completely fulfilled their obligations.

That said, this situation is weird. Jesse seemed like a guy that Syracuse was a home away from home for. It seems like the best case scenario is going in the portal is a negotiating technique and we can get him back.

Feels wrong though.
He didn’t go into the portal. The portal got him.

AW says he was in compliance with what he was doing. I'm not saying we need to believe him implicitly but is their proof that what he was doing was significant enough in this current environment to cause us to push him away entirely?

As JB said, "Our NIL guy doesn't pay anyone."
It was 99% personal PR for Weitsman, Jeff Knauss and their $15,000/year networking group, "Profound".

He didn’t go into the portal. The portal got him.
Joey Bosa Video GIF

Duke is paying him enough to make it worth his while to come back. His game won't improve as much playing in the ACC as it would have in the G-league. He's betting on a weaker draft and a higher selection.
I know, I forgot the sarcastic font

This is a much larger and different conversation but college is a scam, plain and simple. Good luck to SU and Kent

Adam went out of his way to make sure he was in compliance. He didn’t take his ball and go home, he got kicked out of the park.
John Ruiz just got dinged for the Cavinder twins. No one knows how these rules are being applied.

No disrespect to you but this is the stuff that crappy college sports teams say when they get the crap beat out of them on the field. Having top level sports programs is part of why Syracuse is currently able to charge 80K to come there. Not being able to complete in NIL will hurt SU as a University if the sports programs go down the tube.
When SU sports were good pre Nancy, SU was well ranked academically. Being well know nationally attracts students to apply.
Since football and basketball have gone downhill so has the academic standings.

John Ruiz just got dinged for the Cavinder twins. No one knows how these rules are being applied.
He got dinged because they had dinner at his house when they werent enrolled at Miami, not because he gave them NIL

Athletics is SUs brand. Vanderbilt is an elite academic institution. SU is good with a huge price tag that doesn't justify what you're getting.
That’s my point, if the Chancellor can turn SU into Vanderbilt, I’m fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom