Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duke is paying him enough to make it worth his while to come back. His game won't improve as much playing in the ACC as it would have in the G-league. He's betting on a weaker draft and a higher selection.
Plus, a chance to get a NC ring. Can't ever take that away from you.

Yup, fair enough. He was also playing out of position a majority of his career. But many here literally thought he wasn't a D1 player, meanwhile he has a grocery list of high majors offering him 6 figs.
Nobody said he wasn’t a D1 player.

Many said on a good SU team he’d be a microwave off the bench guy, and could be a 35 mpg star at a smaller D1 like a Siena or something.

Obviously he can “play” anywhere. Can he play 35 mpg on a good high major team? Remains to be seen. Doubt it. He’d probably be great in a smaller role at many places though.

I was told at the last home game that the chancellor didn't want SU to be associated with someone who associates with the people Weitsman associates with. Which is a joke in many ways.

I tried to slip in a 4th "associate" but couldn't get there

Since there has been a lot of talk here about NIL, I wanted to pass along something...I spoke with Adam W. this morning.
Whether the Chancellor likes it or not NIL is a part of the business of big time college athletics going forward. I sure hope the Chancellor has specific reasons for pushing away someone who has the ability to help us compete in the arena of NIL more effectively.

Since there has been a lot of talk here about NIL, I wanted to pass along something...I spoke with Adam W. this morning.
Just read... Holy crap. We are done. Might as well stick a fork in it. I'm glad I was able to witness a National Championship in my lifetime, but the school is not interested in competing. Its plain as day

yeah as a tie in to a business probably a great use of money. But these collectives it's a terrible ROI for a rich guy to just blindly donate to the whims of a college basketball player.

Yeah, but that part has always been that way.
How much did the guy who paid for this player or that player to come to his university get out of the deal?
Just bragging rights. Kind of like NFT, for you young'uns. It's just a power flex.

If he goes to a big U/ state U with 40K+ thousand undergrads, what can you do? Their an alumni mill and their collectives are going to be orders of magnitude bigger based on shear alumni volume compared to a private school with under 15K undergrads.

Now if he goes to a comparable or smaller school - say Marquette, that's half our size, then serious questions need to be answered.

I think the reality check we all need to swallow in the new NIL era is who the Jones' are that we're now trying to keep up with.

It isn't UCLA, Michigan, Auburn, Texas Tech, etc.
Interesting thought.

Whether the Chancellor likes it or not NIL is a part of the business of big time college athletics going forward. I sure hope the Chancellor has specific reasons for pushing away someone who has the ability to help us compete in the arena of NIL more effectively.
I'm sure they understand, but with no NCAA guidance on how NIL is going to be policed especially boosters, it's clear why they said they don't want to be associated with him. Syverud needs to have someone lined up or be the Chancellor who oversaw the fall of the university's crown jewel.

We're not having this conversation if Weitsman wasn't hell-bent on making himself the center of attention. The university was wary of the risk and didn't have the appetite. Adam took his ball home.
Which means we likely have to start over again.

I don't get the impression the chancellor is making things easier on the NIL front.

He has nothing to do with it.

The chancellor is running a university. Not an NIL collective.

Understood, but a CEO is responsible for the whole company, a President is responsible for the whole country, and a Chancellor is responsible for the whole university.

And to my point: "Weitsman says that he feels the SU chancellor doesn’t want him doing NIL any longer, especially with the attention and publicity that it brings to Syracuse University with Weitsman involved in NIL."

We're not having this conversation if Weitsman wasn't hell-bent on making himself the center of attention. The university was wary of the risk and didn't have the appetite. Adam took his ball home.
Adam went out of his way to make sure he was in compliance. He didn’t take his ball and go home, he got kicked out of the park.

I was told at the last home game that the chancellor didn't want SU to be associated with someone who associates with the people Weitsman associates with. Which is a joke in many ways.

I tried to slip in a 4th "associate" but couldn't get there
Just start the sentence with "I was told by an associate at the last home game...

I have reached out to SU Athletics asking for comment.
Short term will be bad for SU Hoops. Long term I would bet this is good for Syracuse University as a whole.

Kent wants to actually bring the school into a higher ranking status again. His job is to improve the student body experience holistically. Not just athletics.

I applaud him if this is part of a grander theme to get them back into the top 50 academically. This stuff matters when you are charging students 80k to come to Syracuse.

I'm sure they understand, but with no NCAA guidance on how NIL is going to be policed especially boosters, it's clear why they said they don't want to be associated with him. Syverud needs to have someone lined up or be the Chancellor who oversaw the fall of the university's crown jewel.
AW says he was in compliance with what he was doing. I'm not saying we need to believe him implicitly but is their proof that what he was doing was significant enough in this current environment to cause us to push him away entirely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom