Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you recall Jim Boeheim, before his retirement even said that SU was contacted on behalf of players who were going to enter the transfer portal. Also remember JJ’s coach at UND had announced during the season that he was leaving Notre Dame. Players can leave if their coach is leaving and JJ announced well after Brey had announced his departure. By the way Notre Dame lost most everyone off last year’s team as a result.

Not trying to be snarky but just a question, wondering why are you posting on a fan board when you clearly aren’t a fan and haven’t done much research at all before posting consistent negative thoughts about SU basketball on the board? Just seems strange.
Cherie, always good poster and postings. Regarding Jesse, could the same be said for Jim's imminent retirement? I would doubt we got tampered with in a nakedly illegal way here.

I'd advise any chancellor to avoid the picture of you hob knobbing with the boosters. Are we really that crazy??? That's the job of intermediaries, maybe even the AD behind closed doors.

We're losing our minds over this NIL. It's something we may not be successful at. There are other avenues to success in college sports without being the big dog in spending.

Whatever Providence College has been doing is working. That school doesn't have two nickels to scratch together in terms of funding. Find a good coach, let him coach, find good recruits and we'll be fine.

I think people forget we were dinged in a major way after 1992. Boeheim went and somehow landed Moten and Wallace. Why, because he was a great recruiter and smelt out talent that was under recruited. Wallace was a top guy, Moten was a diamond in the rough.

Find me the coach who finds Motens and occasionally seduces Wallaces
Providence has made the Sweet 16 once in 25 years.

In other news Filipowski who is a projected first rounder is coming back to Duke you just can’t make this up

I'd advise any chancellor to avoid the picture of you hob knobbing with the boosters. Are we really that crazy??? That's the job of intermediaries, maybe even the AD behind closed doors.

We're losing our minds over this NIL. It's something we may not be successful at. There are other avenues to success in college sports without being the big dog in spending.

Whatever Providence College has been doing is working. That school doesn't have two nickels to scratch together in terms of funding. Find a good coach, let him coach, find good recruits and we'll be fine.

I think people forget we were dinged in a major way after 1992. Boeheim went and somehow landed Moten and Wallace. Why, because he was a great recruiter and smelt out talent that was under recruited. Wallace was a top guy, Moten was a diamond in the rough.

If Phil Knight had an issue with the Oregon Chancellor and threatened to pull funding, they'd be on the phone or personally go to his residence.

Providence has made the Sweet 16 once in 25 years.
i've downshifted my expectations into getting to the tournament once again. We've failed in that endeavor of late.

PC had a good program with Ed at the helm

Again, it goes back to this. If I'm spending money and you have an issue, set up a meeting or a lunch where two businessmen can hash it out. This behavior is juvenile.
Sure. Makes sense. Except if the guy spending $$ is so arrogant and thinks he runs the University. And that rules don't apply to him. Some people just aren't reasonable.

This is not it. Please don't ever let us do anything comparable to Providence. What a take!

If Phil Knight had an issue with the Oregon Chancellor and threatened to pull funding, they'd be on the phone or personally go to his residence.
and probably avoid the photo opp absent Knight presenting a check for 150mm for a new building on campus.

Benefactor of buildings, scholarships and other Oregon stadiums=sure photo all day
Booster of athletes=unseemly IMO

Cant do this anymore. If my only idea is to quickly plan a tournament this summer in Puerto Rico so we can send a pontoon boat filled with money to Jesse's hotel room, then it just ain't about basketball anymore. I know it's a nightmare move to part ways with Weitsman, but it is also a nightmare that the best pathway to success is to have a bunch of sketchy billionaires in your corner. A good fanbase and even a good staff are secondary concerns.

Best move is probably fire everybody who is not in adapt or die mode, but it all is so freaking horrible and stupid that I'm not surprised some of the higher ups are slow on the uptake. Probably a bunch of guys who thought they would be looking at coaching performance for future staff hires and analyzing trends in the sport, now they are trying to find the best Swiss bank to hide an emergency bitcoin account for Jessie until we can smuggle him across the border in the middle of the night. Its all horse crap.

1951E423-B25A-40EB-9AF1-156D97E00567.gif

Four forgettable seasons more like. The worst four years of my life watching Syracuse basketball, probably the case for most of us considering we witnessed messed our first losing season in how many years recently??

First losing season since Roy Danforth's first year in charge, 54 years ago.

The only coach to have 2 losing seasons in the last 100 years was Marc Guley, who was fired after the 1962 season. That was over 60 years ago.

We have never failed to rebound to winning ways within 2-3 years of replacing a coach.

Now feels a lot different, because it feels just like when we were passed over for the ACC the first time around.

College sports have changed. ESPN is undermining our league by paying them less than all the other major leagues, and we see that we don't have the stomach to pay players, like all the other big time schools are doing.

Today is basically the death of Syracuse sports at a major level. If we can't use NIL to get or keep good players. We're done, folks. We are a "Selling Club" now.

This makes sense to me. And I agree, he can do whatever he wants, obviously. But let's not pretend he's some cherub-like good soul who only cares about dear ol' SU and his charities. He wants ROI.
Like someone else mentioned several pages ago...investing in NIL is a terrible financial decision. Weitsman was trying to make it a better financial investment for himself, which makes total sense from his perspective. The school didn't like that he was going around the system they had in place and bringing more attention to their NIL contributions, which makes total sense from the school's perspective.

It's unfortunate that there's seemingly not a workable compromise here, but I get why both sides were unhappy with the other.

I’m in a collective at a different school that gave money to a kid from New Zealand this past season. It’s not skirting anything. It is perfectly within whatever rules of NIL exist.

Player goes home for a week or two. Player does a zoom call or whatever type of virtual appearance or autograph signing or whatever while he is home. Player gets paid.

It is that simple. If Syracuse isn’t willing to do that then they are voluntarily playing a different game than everyone else in college basketball. Beyond stupid if that had anything to do with it.

Where did I say that? I made no claims about the possible record/achievements. You did.

Apparently you can criticize others' takes but are too much of a coward to tell us how great you think we're going to do next year. Fill us in. Are we going back to the NCAAs? Will we make a Sweet 16? Do you think we'll even win a SINGLE GAME in the ACC Tournament. Stick you neck out.

I’m in a collective at a different school that gave money to a kid from New Zealand this past season. It’s not skirting anything. It is perfectly within whatever rules of NIL exist.

Player goes home for a week or two. Player does a zoom call or whatever type of virtual appearance or autograph signing or whatever while he is home. Player gets paid.

It is that simple. If Syracuse isn’t willing to do that then they are voluntarily playing a different game than everyone else in college basketball. Beyond stupid if that had anything to do with it.
A lot of guesses there. How about this guess. He was coming back and some other school called, talked to his dad and said, that is the $$ they are getting Jesse??? We can do a lot better. So the dad tells the school, match that offer, I'll give you a month, if you can't match that offer or at least come close, we are gone. And we couldn't raise the money to match it. Whose fault is that? Really no ones if it all comes down to top dollar. Which it does every day in business.

If this is all about $$$ I'm guessing Jesse will be headed to an SEC or B1G school. Will be interesting to see. Of course even Gonzaga seems to have figured out how to thrive with foreign players. I'm beginning to feel like Syracuse is now like a Kansas City or Pittsburgh in MLB when it comes to keeping players and being able to attract other free agents. Not really unexpected in a system that now legalizes pay for play.

Out of curiosity where does UConn rank?

When I worked in NYC in the 90s, one of my staff was a recent UConn grad, and was nuts about their women's team. Great girl. We ranked above them back then, but I'm pretty sure UConn passed us in the academic rankings at least 10 or 15 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.