Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like there can be a middle ground.
Yeah, he didn’t run the place, but let’s not pretend he wasn’t keepin a lot of lights on. Don’t need to be the Pope, but don’t try & treat him like a regular nobody either

SU would take Showtime if the booster wasn't "all in the video, dancing" as Suge Knight once said. Nevin Shapiro should be the reason why you don't want someone to be a face of paying players. Miami never learned that lesson and that bill could be due when they least expect.

If you want celebrities in the front row, then you have to let them do publicity.
Do the Lakers or the Knicks fail to show you all the celebrities sitting courtside when they do their games?
It's like Syverud is from Leave it To Beaver days.

You're missing the point completely.

SU needs to be considered a quality education for it to be appealing to student athletes. We don't sell ourselves to be Kansas St where the selling point is a state university. SU's coaches sell the kids on the ability to get a great education, the incredible network at SU and the physical school itself. That's our selling point. If the education becomes lesser than Penn St or Umass it's a harder sell. We're not a directional school or some rogue operation.

SU really really cares about their ranking. Trust me because the parents who live in Westchester, Northern Long Island and Wellesley MA are the ones that support that program we call SU Hoops ultimately. They are the ones writing the 75k checks that allow for the operation to hum.

You’re 100% right. If people are complaining we don’t have enough wealthy alumni or boosters then I don’t see how making the school unappealing to the demo that become wealthy donors makes sense. And wealthy people 100% care about the school ranking of where they send their kids.

We aren’t a big state school that can get it done with volume and the sprinkled in whale.

I'm surprised it took this long for this to come out publicly. Doesn't seem like AW had any reservations confirming it, someone just needed to ask. From what I've heard, you basically have two sides unwilling to compromise and here we are.

Sucks big time in the short term, but I think it's all moot anyway, because all of this stuff will hopefully be reined in and regulated within a few years. If not, it will lead to the eventual slow death of college athletics. The current system is acting like pro sports with no salary cap and unlimited free agency. It's unsustainable. I'm all for college athletes getting paid, but this wild west crap isn't the way to get it done.

I bet Jesse is at Kansas this season if they don’t land Dickinson

You know what, long term this will be good if in fact the sole reason Jesse is leaving is because Weitsman won’t play by SU’s rules anymore. We can’t rely on one guy. Better to learn that lesson now when NIL is still in its infancy.
But, nobody else's contribution equals what his was. We are not a player in NIL.

Lets focus on the bigger picture: it’s jesse edwards.

jesse fluckin edwards.

this is a kid who 10 years ago would’ve got 0 minutes his 1st 2 years and somewhere between 5-10 as an upperclassman if we inexplicably didnt recruit over him…and speaking of recruiting…he wouldn’t have even been looked at 20-30 years ago.

he has zero shot at the nba and if he goes to Europe…whatever, good bye, roughly 4K graduate from Cuse each year, I don’t care or follow what any of them do.

so some school cheated rage portal and illegally offered him $$ to sit their bench as role player insurance policy?? Good for him, take $$, join the LIV I don’t care, goo$bye…you sucked.

the team needed an enema, we really didn’t get it with Red, so let’s get it by dropping the players who didnt win and make the tourney anyway.

someone send him a bill for $300k too…

Last edited:
You’re 100% right. If people are complaining we don’t have enough wealthy alumni or boosters then I don’t see how making the school unappealing to the demo that become wealthy donors makes sense. And wealthy people 100% care about the school ranking of where they send their kids.

We aren’t a big state school that can get it done with volume and the sprinkled in whale.
Think about it, our big known booster supported the program via a friendship with Boeheim. For him to pivot away so fast it means a non grad had no connective tissue to the program absent the Boeheim difference and whatever fringe benefits he got from that. in some ways that's a great way to attract money to the school from non grads: Have him cozy up with a legendary coach.

We lost the legendary coach now. Unless there are other random billionaires who are tight with AA or Gait or Dino we'll be relying on graduates to fund this stuff in collectives. I'd take my chances with high quality grads becoming captains of industry doing this.

Think about it, our big known booster supported the program via a friendship with Boeheim. For him to pivot away so fast it means a non grad had no connective tissue to the program absent the Boeheim difference and whatever fringe benefits he got from that. in some ways that's a great way to attract money to the school from non grads: Have him cozy up with a legendary coach.

We lost the legendary coach now. Unless there are other random billionaires who are tight with AA or Gait or Dino we'll be relying on graduates to fund this stuff in collectives. I'd take my chances with high quality grads becoming captains of industry doing this.
He was gone from before JB wasn't brought back

This *can’t* be about the money. If our players average $500k/year, that’s 6M/year, which would be pocket change for an entity with the value and annual revenue of subb. If they can pay (fundraiser) capital expenses of hundreds of millions on facilities, it’s madness to not back that up with what amounts to reasonable operating costs. There’s more to learn/happen. Has to be.

No disrespect but when you admittedly are debating from a position of SU basketball being a tourney team at best... you are on an island debating with many who don't accept that. Also how do you take that position while knowing the amount of effort put into the athletic facilities and dome? Attendance will fall off even more. Seeing 12-13k most nights in a 35k capacity? That's a bad look and one that makes no sense.

You are assuming that we would have kept Jesse if AW was still on board. I don't believe that for a second. AW talked about getting 5 star players to S.U.. That hasn't happened. Didn't really come close.
Horse's mouth, "We would have kept Jesse."

Sure. Makes sense. Except if the guy spending $$ is so arrogant and thinks he runs the University. And that rules don't apply to him. Some people just aren't reasonable.
That doesn't sound like the way AW was navigating NIL. Quite the opposite, in fact. Story that AW was meticulous in running every action by the SU Administration bogus?

So, tell me again, how much do these other sports programs earn for the University?
Do field hockey players, or cross country runners, ALL need NIL, or should it be used for revenue sports?
Because if they "ALL" deserve NIL money, then, hey maybe the University should lower its tuition so these kids weren't broke.
Has nothing to do with which sport, more like which player.

You are assuming that we would have kept Jesse if AW was still on board. I don't believe that for a second. AW talked about getting 5 star players to S.U.. That hasn't happened. Didn't really come close.

We should be clear in these being completely separate issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.