Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do we get players better than Jesse if we won’t pay? Jesse wanted to stay and we couldn’t get him the money he wanted so he’s leaving. We didn’t have the ability to keep one of our best players that wanted to be here, how can we expect to land better players from elsewhere?
How much $$ did he want? What if it was a crazy number? What if it was a crazy number that his father wanted? There is a number we just couldn't get him.

No, there was a time when SU was ranked about 40th nationally and on par with Boston College or just below it. When you consider the list of the top 39 national universities, being 40th was pretty darn good and very respectable. Syracuse was considered a good not great university. You are correct, it always has great colleges and some not-so-good colleges within the university (where party kids would go), but on average, the university was solid. Now, that’s not really the case anymore when we sitting below Penn St etc etc.

SU was ranked that high about 20 years ago.

SU has a poor law school, no medical school, and is not in the important AAU Research Consortium, or whatever it's called. I believe they used to be an AAU research school, but lost the status due to lack of funding of STEM type graduate research projects.

If you don't think that hurts SU's ongoing academic status, just consider that the schools who replaced them in the AAU include UC-San Diego, Emory College, UC-Santa Cruz, Tufts and Stony Brook. Those schools are more important to other research institutions than Syracuse.

Then we were already doomed. No one lives forever. And there are other multi millionaire fans. They just don't make it so public. I wish it worked out with Adam. We need all the help we can get. But he isn't bigger than the University.
He’s a billionaire with unlimited resources. It’s nice to have that guy on your side in the day of the NIL.

I’m gonna choose to be a little naive and chalk this up to we couldn’t make it happen in a gray area after we’ve already been on probation twice.

Love Jesse and wish he was staying but if we truly had the $ but the university got cold feet over that, let’s pivot quick and find a great replacement.

As Herb Brooks would say, it’s not the best players but the right ones.

That's more on Kent. Adam is at every game. Walk over and say hello. This is not rocket science.
If there's a perceived problem and you're hearing whispers, call him up to find out what's going on. Saying hello at a game doesn't soothe those problems. I can be cordial when I see you and still not like you.

SU was ranked that high about 20 years ago.

SU has a poor law school, no medical school, and is not in the important AAU Research Consortium, or whatever it's called. I believe they used to be an AAU research school, but lost the status due to lack of funding of STEM type graduate research projects.

If you don't think that hurts SU's ongoing academic status, just consider that the schools who replaced them in the AAU include UC-San Diego, Emory College, UC-Santa Cruz, Tufts and Stony Brook. Those schools are more important to other research institutions than Syracuse.

Out of curiosity where does UConn rank?

Honest question - do you think there are no others? Maybe, and just hear me out, the others are just using their wealth without spamming the social media universe day in and day out chasing clout.

Seriously. Do you really think there aren't other well off supporters that have in the past, are currently now and will continue to do so in the future contributing big sums of money?
Not to the level Weitsman was supporting. But i highly doubt anyone will be paying 1million plus a season to 5 star guys like he was going to. You can't replace that overnight

Because those players wont be international.
He’s transferring to another school. Where the international rules will also apply. We just couldn’t or weren’t willing to give him the money he wants clearly. If it was an international I can’t get paid from the NIL, he’d be going pro.

He’s transferring to another school. Where the international rules will also apply. We just couldn’t or weren’t willing to give him the money he wants clearly. If it was an international I can’t get paid from the NIL, he’d be going pro.
Likely transferring to a school willing to skirt the law, thats on them. Hopefully they dont get caught.

If there's a perceived problem and you're hearing whispers, call him up to find out what's going on. Saying hello at a game doesn't soothe those problems. I can be cordial when I see you and still not like you.
From some of the posts here it sounds like Kent wasn't even cordial.

It could also be that Jesses number is one that he knew already Syracuse wouldn’t match to make it seem like he’s not the bad guy but in fact he strung us along saying he was staying only to screw us over

How much $$ did he want? What if it was a crazy number? What if it was a crazy number that his father wanted? There is a number we just couldn't get him.
The schools we want to compete with are giving their players crazy numbers. Imagine the amount of money Duke must’ve given Flip to come back and dominate the ACC for another year while being considered a top pick lock. It’s 2023 you have to play the game.

I'd advise any chancellor to avoid the picture of you hob knobbing with the boosters. Are we really that crazy??? That's the job of intermediaries, maybe even the AD behind closed doors.

We're losing our minds over this NIL. It's something we may not be successful at. There are other avenues to success in college sports without being the big dog in spending.

Whatever Providence College has been doing is working. That school doesn't have two nickels to scratch together in terms of funding. Find a good coach, let him coach, find good recruits and we'll be fine.

I think people forget we were dinged in a major way after 1992. Boeheim went and somehow landed Moten and Wallace. Why, because he was a great recruiter and smelt out talent that was under recruited. Wallace was a top guy, Moten was a diamond in the rough.

Find me the coach who finds Motens and occasionally seduces Wallaces

So I guess we’re going to pretend Syracuse didn’t tamper with JJ? The guy who committed to Syracuse a day after entering the portal…
If you recall Jim Boeheim, before his retirement even said that SU was contacted on behalf of players who were going to enter the transfer portal. Also remember JJ’s coach at UND had announced during the season that he was leaving Notre Dame. Players can leave if their coach is leaving and JJ announced well after Brey had announced his departure. By the way Notre Dame lost most everyone off last year’s team as a result.

Not trying to be snarky but just a question, wondering why are you posting on a fan board when you clearly aren’t a fan and haven’t done much research at all before posting consistent negative thoughts about SU basketball on the board? Just seems strange.

From some of the posts here it sounds like Kent wasn't even cordial.
Again, it goes back to this. If I'm spending money and you have an issue, set up a meeting or a lunch where two businessmen can hash it out. This behavior is juvenile.

Status
Not open for further replies.