Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I’ve said, I don’t know who the others are. Just that a few posters were adamant that we had replacements, no big deal.
Sorry, I'm not arguing with you, I just really hope that if we have others, we can get things settled and move forward. Because, right now, it feels like we are sinking. And, I am not usually someone that freaks out like that.

Sorry, I'm not arguing with you, I just really hope that if we have others, we can get things settled and move forward. Because, right now, it feels like we are sinking. And, I am not usually someone that freaks out like that.
The reason you feel we are sinking is because this was a bomb on the program. Contrary to what the Kaiser had to say, Jesse is a very good basketball player at a position we won't easily replace. It doesn't fell like this should have happened.

When they get good, people from bigger schools will come buy them. We are a "selling club" now. People harvest our talent.

We can't keep kids as it is, and now we're going to have 3 and 4 year players - who are actually GOOD - with no real NIL program?
We get it man. After 30+ messages with the same substantive points we get it: the cuse sports world has spun completely off it’s axis and anyone with a modicum of hope or who wishes to contextualize this in the bigger picture is ignorant and naive.

When they get good, people from bigger schools will come buy them. We are a "selling club" now. People harvest our talent.

We can't keep kids as it is, and now we're going to have 3 and 4 year players - who are actually GOOD - with no real NIL program?
Some selling clubs have one good run. Hopefully SU will have that opportunity.

Maybe the money’s available but the price tags beyond unreasonable.
I’ve been wondering this too.

Complete conjecture on my part, but if all players in college basketball are free agents basically, then you have to manage the team salary. If Jesse is being offered a crazy amount, maybe the team feels they can get a comparable center for less money and spend the difference on a different position.

You mean meticulous like when the NCAA issued some vague threats while penalizing Miami the day after AW was flaunting his signing of Elijah after a private jet ride with some celebrities? It seems the disagreement is how meticulous is defined.
Flying HS recruits in private jets isn't exactly a new thing. Georgia Tech stole Stephon Marbury from us that way.

I’ve been wondering this too.

Complete conjecture on my part, but if all players in college basketball are free agents basically, then you have to manage the team salary. If Jesse is being offered a crazy amount, maybe the team feels they can get a comparable center for less money and spend the difference on a different position.
this has been my thought as well but I can’t really fault people for panicking and such because we have no proof of anything else really working in our favor.

So all that needed to happen was Jesse gets paid while home in the Netherlands this summer, and Cuse just couldn't pay him enough? Either they think they're getting Dickinson with a huge sum of money and see less need to give a huge amount to Jesse, or they just cannot compete in this era. I would be very surprised if it's the former. If the program isn't willing to dive head first into the deep end of NIL, this is the beginning of the end for the program.
I have read that we have others who are big like Adam but when you lose someone like him you don't replace him. SU doesn't have Billionaires lining up to help the University. If what i have heard is true, this one is on the administration for not working with a person that did everything right did everything to support all of the programs and the minute something wasn't pc had his arse handed to him. Hopefully over time because of Jims's friendship he is convinced to get back and help Syracuse. If I'm JW I'm inviting him for a sit down yesterday.

that was almost 30 years ago and Marbury has been out of the NBA for almost 15 years. It's OK to let it go.
No. Not when Marbury on that John Wallace team beats that Kentucky team with the most NBA players in history.

Exactly. It was obvious that legalizing pay-to-play was going to be very damaging to competitiveness for Syracuse.
I said this over a year ago and got incoming for it.
The Syracuse Market is not that large and it appears NYC will intimately be a UConn city if the current trend continues.
All this I say in sadness.
I hate NIL and everything it stands for.

He is not an alum, he is a Syracuse sports fan. He wants to do it his way, and his way includes making sure that we are 100% compliant with the rules. So, why doesn't the university allow him to do it? That is completely up to them, and we are seeing the consequences. Perhaps a compromise could be reached, but that would require the university reaching out.
I won't keep belaboring this... but just because he says he's "100% compliant" doesn't mean that he is. It's also a weird thing to say since just about everyone admits that they don't entirely know what the rules even are.

I mean, is there a booster who ever says what they've done *isn't* totally compliant?

I don't know if he is, or isn't, but if we believe it on his word I'll just use a great line from The Godfather... "Now who's being naive Kay?"

I said this over a year ago and got incoming for it.
The Syracuse Market is not that large and it appears NYC will intimately be a UConn city if the current trend continues.
All this I say in sadness.
I hate NIL and everything it stands for.
I think Pitino is going to have first dibs on NIL money in NYC.

Nope, his NIL contribution and bringing celebrities is not welcome. He still wants to help, but he’s not allowed to.

If he wanted to help, I believe he could without question and without the University's permission.

NIL is not affiliated with the University and privately controlled between the private party and the athlete (and his or her reps).

If AW wanted to sign a current or future player to an NIL deal currently there is nothing the University could do to stop it, save and except, attempting to discipline the player for said deal which would be akin to giving a self-imposed death sentence to the program.

Why he would want to help when the University has taken an adversarial stance to his involvement is a different question.

I won't keep belaboring this... but just because he says he's "100% compliant" doesn't mean that he is. It's also a weird thing to say since just about everyone admits that they don't entirely know what the rules even are.

I mean, is there a booster who ever says what they've done *isn't* totally compliant?

I don't know if he is, or isn't, but if we believe it on his word I'll just use a great line from The Godfather... "Now who's being naive Kay?"
He hired a lawyer and worked with the university to make sure he was compliant. If there are rules written, they were reviewed and they moved forward with a strategy that was 100% compliant to their understanding.

No. Not when Marbury on that John Wallace team beats that Kentucky team with the most NBA players in history.
Sorry but Kenny was long gone before 96

I have read that we have others who are big like Adam but when you lose someone like him you don't replace him. SU doesn't have Billionaires lining up to help the University. If what i have heard is true, this one is on the administration for not working with a person that did everything right did everything to support all of the programs and the minute something wasn't pc had his arse handed to him. Hopefully over time because of Jims's friendship he is convinced to get back and help Syracuse. If I'm JW I'm inviting him for a sit down yesterday.
Godfather.gif

Just watched Moneyball last night. We are the Oakland A's. We're not going to outspend the Yankees or the Red Sox so we have to find the Scott Hatteberg and Jeremy Giambi's of the world.

He hired a lawyer and worked with the university to make sure he was compliant. If there are rules written, they were reviewed and they moved forward with a strategy that was 100% compliant to their understanding.
Fine. There's a big delta between that and the rampant reports that many in the administration were nervous as hell about his ways.

I really don't want to slag a guy that a lot of people here worship as a savior of CNY. And I don't doubt that he's done immense good in the community. I'll just note that one does not become a billionaire by (a) not being utterly obsessed with money, and (b) not bending a few rules here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.