Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get used to it, this is just like Buzz Shaw, they will take your money. Then tell you if you don't like it Go to ****.
They have put out a bad product for most of the last 8 years, and people still pay for it.
The University hasn't cared about the fans since before Buzz Shaw took over. If Bragman and the state hadn't come up with money for the Dome, football would have been gone.
They would be in Manley and the new Big East making 8 million a year.
I've thought the same with the parallels. Except with not spending money on facilities we are not on NIL. We are 20 years too late always. Hopefully there's some younger blood in the administration that sees the future.

Wow... I just scrolled over 40 pages since coming home from work. Jesse was going into the portal pre-work and Jesse is in the portal post-work. So not much changed other than a list of schools that reached out.. that and more NIL & AW talk.

because they're peer schools or lesser schools without a 30k seat arena and a top program pedigree. I think the expectation is that it was KU and UK offering him a bazillion dollars to leave SU and when it turns out to be Seton Hall, people are underwhelmed.
I would be shocked if Seton Hall reached out before Jesse was even in the portal

Wow... I just scrolled over 40 pages since coming home from work. Jesse was going into the portal pre-work and Jesse is in the portal post-work. So not much changed other than a list of schools that reached out.. that and more NIL & AW talk.
The passion of the fans is the only thing keeping this thing afloat. Anywhere else would’ve gave up 5 years ago.

Why does it "NEED" to happen?

Because Syracuse won't be good at sports? Why would some school who's killing it in NIL care?

The SEC/B1G/others will just break off and do their own NIL league.
it NEEDS to happen for the 300 or whatever teams in division 1 sports to remain a thing

its not even just about syracuse...for me its the entire college sports landscape that is under threat

yeah i guess a splintered off power 3 or whatever league is in the pipeline...but if they are going to do that...might as well just make it a real minor league and stop the charade of student athletes

I've thought the same with the parallels. Except with not spending money on facilities we are not on NIL. We are 20 years too late always. Hopefully there's some younger blood in the administration that sees the future.
I just saw on Twitter that VA Tech isnt charging admission for their spring game instead they are asking fans to make donations to the NIL collective. We need to get creative like that

Z so
Very similar to a small market team in MLB. Portal and NIL are basically free agency for college sports. Syracuse is not positioned well to compete in that environment.
There is one huge difference. You control the player in mlb for 6 years. So you can overcome your economic shortfalls by smart drafting and development.. then flip him as he nears free agency for big prospects . Rinse .. repeat . In the transfer portal world, everyone is a free agent at all times

Yup. He wants the spotlight even in the break up. It’s gross. But it’s who he is.

If he really cared about the school, he doesn’t do this. Nobody should be surprised.

Again the Shrekli post really threw me off. There was no debating that one. I have first hand experience with that monster so maybe it’s just me….but read some of the stories about him. He’s a sociopath. No debate. He’s not to be saved. Have to be a real narcissist to think you can save that man.
Not defending Shrekli, but I think Weitsman was connected to him via a mentor program. Not sure he sought the connection out.

I just saw on Twitter that VA Tech isnt charging admission for their spring game instead they are asking fans to make donations to the NIL collective. We need to get creative like that
Fans shouldn't have to pay into collectives. They buy season tickets and merch. Siphon a percentage from those for NIL.

Needs to start at the top, the Chancellor has to understand, that big time sports needs big time spending, and SU has never been one to do that.

I can’t think of a good check kiting joke but I know it would have gotten a bunch of likes

Make them? That is illegal. It's called extortion, Scott.

If you mention extortion again..

53dc9c4c-68f8-42d8-8a0b-52c1e1d14713_text.gif

but what doesn't make sense is we had more than a year to work on how to make his unique situation work, the fact we couldn't figure out a solution seems to indicate we are unprepared (in many ways) to compete in the current environment
We were told we were at the forefront of NIL...we have a class!!

Z so

There is one huge difference. You control the player in mlb for 6 years. So you can overcome your economic shortfalls by smart drafting and development.. then flip him as he nears free agency for big prospects . Rinse .. repeat . In the transfer portal world, everyone is a free agent at all times
Yup, even worse than small market MLB teams.

Another comparison that's been thrown around is the English Premier League and their promotion/relegation model. Does college sports eventually get to that structure? Possibly. I spent some time with the ownership group of a Premier League team discussing their strategy (they are a small market team constantly in the promotion/relegation mix). One thing that was different about EPL teams they can pursue a strategy of player development, similar to the baseball minor leagues. They basically own the rights to the players and can loan them out to other bigger teams and receive revenue/payments from the bigger team. This is actually a strategy some teams use to drive revenue/profitability.

We're in a situation where it seems like we're becoming a feeder program to the bigger schools that can pay more NIL money to our best players. Too bad we can’t collect fees off the bigger schools when they poach our players.

Last edited:
This *can’t* be about the money. If our players average $500k/year, that’s 6M/year, which would be pocket change for an entity with the value and annual revenue of subb. If they can pay (fundraiser) capital expenses of hundreds of millions on facilities, it’s madness to not back that up with what amounts to reasonable operating costs. There’s more to learn/happen. Has to be.

I think total revenue for the 2 big sports is $75-85M, so giving $6M a year to basketball players means that you don't have the money to fund a couple varsity sports. So drop men's crew and women's fencing, or whatever.

Then, how much more does the football team need? Another $10M? Suddenly, you're talking about 2-15-20% of the overall athletic budget just for "talent payments". That's not sustainable without a lot of outside money.

Who should pay into collectives?
In the sense, that you're asking them to pay on top of what they're already buying? I think that's unreasonable. NIL is supposed to be leveraging your local community for marketing opportunities, not cutting a check to play. If that's what it is, hire them as part-time employees. That has to be the next step in this pay for play era. Decoldest Crawford did a commercial for an HVAC company. That's NIL. Getting told I need $500K to play at your university is not.

You’re so out of touch. The school can’t spend on NIL. You can.
I realize that. The University is finally starting to spend on upgrades, that were needed back in 2010 when Marrone was here.
It looks like the also have finally started to get in touch with some of the Former players.
There are Alumni out there with money, that's on the University, to get with them.
If they can't find a way to have outsiders to do NIL, then things aren't going to get better.
The collectives have been doing a good job, they just aren't big enough.

Last edited:
ultimately that's the final boss in this charade. Schools will be allowed to provide scholarships in excess of what the scholarship is in consideration for exceptional services provided to the school.

The NIL will just be the cherry on top.

I am sure no schools have found a creative way around this. I am sure they are all doing it the “right” way just like us

LOL That is really funny in so many ways. let's rephrase it this way, you like what AW was doing for the team you root for and you don't like Kent stopping him from doing that. For whatever reason Kent may have had.

I think that's a little harsh. In the current environment, there seem to be very few rules that can't be skirted, legitimately.

Anyone who is going to drop serious cash to support a program deserves some recognition for it. Various people have their names on buildings for giving lots of money.

How different is it for someone to prefer their recognition in the "media of the day" - social media? Why is one considered "de classe" by some, while the other side sees it as "au courant"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom