Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if Jesse returns, Judah returns, and we add either a quality guard or a forward, we will be substantially better.

Heck, I think if Jesse & Judah return, plus improvement from the returning freshmen and one makes a leap like so often happens, we could be substantially better.

Like the optimism, but I'm not so sure.

I understand the "year-over-year" improvement argument [not saying this is your take]. I also understand that a different style of play might [emphasis on "might"] yield different results, we're swapping out Joe for a former McD's all american, etc.

Then again, we can't say that definitively because this is the same group of players that just went one game over .500.

So I'm not ready to take at face value that "substantial" improvement is imminent. I mean, I HOPE so, but far from a given. I like Westry, too, but would he move the needle if he was the one addition you reference, with Judah / JJ already in the fold?

Looking forward to seeing the team play this summer to learn more about how they'll play

I understand the "year-over-year" improvement argument [not saying this is your take]. I also understand that a different style of play might [emphasis on "might"] yield different results, we're swapping out Joe for a former McD's all american, etc.

Then again, we can't say that definitively because this is the same group of players that just went one game over .500.

So I'm not ready to take at face value that "substantial" improvement is imminent. I mean, I HOPE so, but far from a given. I like Westry, too, but would he move the needle if he was the one addition you reference, with Judah / JJ already in the fold?

Looking forward to seeing the team play this summer to learn more about how they'll play
I think we are all cautious, given what we have watched the past 6-8 years.

I'm choosing to be optimistic. May have egg on my face at the end of next year, but I really think we can get back to being a good program again sooner than later.

Posters keep saying we need another top level guard. If Judah returns and that's a big if at this time, they should be all set with the addition of JJ and backups in Taylor and Quadir. I had thought that when they recruited Q it was as a PG but he got his playing time at forward. JB frequently referred to Taylor as best suited for 2G in the future. If Judah moves on, that changes everything and hopefully if that occurs it's not too late to find a quality PG.
judah jj cope and taylor are fine at G

We are also playing a tougher schedule next year. I do think that if we don't add another guard or forward we will still be better. How much? That would be the question.

We need proven scorers. Looking at the team picture last night, Jesse is the only proven scorer in the group. Adding Benny and Judah will help, but that’s still not nearly enough.
Jesse Judah JJ would be a heck of a start. Bell can shoot as well as Taylor. If we keep the band together i think we will be able to put a ton of pressure on teams. I expect us to play downhill next year.

Jesse Judah JJ would be a heck of a start. Bell can shoot as well as Taylor. If we keep the band together i think we will be able to put a ton of pressure on teams. I expect us to play downhill next year.
I’d still like to find another shooter in the portal. A physical rebounder would also help.

We need proven scorers. Looking at the team picture last night, Jesse is the only proven scorer in the group. Adding Benny and Judah will help, but that’s still not nearly enough.

yeah, we need one more guy who can shoot 3s and get to the rim. it almost doesn't matter if it's a 6-4 or 6-5 guard, or a 6-7 forward. we need a guy with toughness who can score inside and out, and can hit the boards, even if he's a guard.

Not worried about scoring. The 5 is bare as hell without Edwards for boards and overall D.

I’m worried about keeping the band together given our results these last few years and there are a ton of portal players that are obviously more talented than some on our roster…I don’t see the staff being super aggressive like I thought for some of these portal guys but idk I guess we will see what happens.

So playing fast and downhill... Without Jesse I'm trying to picture Hima running with this new O and it's not computing in my head. 5 seems in dire straits to me, like another G is so much less of a need unless Chance or Bradley is an easy grab.

I’d still like to find another shooter in the portal. A physical rebounder would also help.
Brown is our physical rebounding forward. Jesse and Judah and we should be really good. Westry would be a cherry on top

Westry was also injured.
meehhh. Bradley I get. Westry I don’t really at all. This is building a basketball team. Not collecting the highest ranked guys from two years ago. Anyway I’m not sure why I keep getting sucked into this argument. I don’t think Westry is coming here anyway. He can get more minutes elsewhere.

meehhh. Bradley I get. Westry I don’t really at all. This is building a basketball team. Not collecting the highest ranked guys from two years ago.
Exactly. Bell and Taylor had games you could see they belonged, it was very inconsistent. But they both showed an ability to develop.

Posters keep saying we need another top level guard. If Judah returns and that's a big if at this time, they should be all set with the addition of JJ and backups in Taylor and Quadir. I had thought that when they recruited Q it was as a PG but he got his playing time at forward. JB frequently referred to Taylor as best suited for 2G in the future. If Judah moves on, that changes everything and hopefully if that occurs it's not too late to find a quality PG.
If you can improve over both of them, you do it. For Red, this isn't just about getting back to the tournament. This is his evaluation period as to if he can get a long-term deal. He also needs to hit the ground running and prove he can build something here. Taylor is physically ready for this level, but his game needs to catch up. Quadir is a project in every sense of the word.

If you can improve over both of them, you do it. For Red, this isn't just about getting back to the tournament. This is his evaluation period as to if he can get a long-term deal. He also needs to hit the ground running and prove he can build something here. Taylor is physically ready for this level, but his game needs to catch up. Quadir is a project in every sense of the word.

Quadir is not a project. Carey is a project and Patterson likely too. Quadir just needs consistency and polish with his decision making. He's got great vision, plays fearless and is very aggressive. Not to mention showcased skills as a rebounder too. Those aren't things you see in a "project".

That's not to say we should avoid being aggressive in finding another top guard or forward in the portal either- just that Copeland is positioned to have a big jump.

Quadir is not a project. Carey is a project and Patterson likely too. Quadir just needs consistency and polish with his decision making. He's got great vision, plays fearless and is very aggressive. Not to mention showcased skills as a rebounder too. Those aren't things you see in a "project".

That's not to say we should avoid being aggressive in finding another top guard or forward in the portal either- just that Copeland is positioned to have a big jump.
I don't see what some on this board do. We can agree to disagree here. For as bad as Symir was, Quadir couldn't get minutes over him.

I don't see what some on this board do. We can agree to disagree here. For as bad as Symir was, Quadir couldn't get minutes over him.

Copeland averaged more mpg than Symir over the last 10 games of the year. His minutes came at Bell and Taylor's expense.. but still the point remains.

meehhh. Bradley I get. Westry I don’t really at all. This is building a basketball team. Not collecting the highest ranked guys from two years ago. Anyway I’m not sure why I keep getting sucked into this argument. I don’t think Westry is coming here anyway. He can get more minutes elsewhere.
I'm not saying he should come to SU, or that he'd be a good fit. I just don't think it's an apples to apples comparison between Westry and Taylor and Bell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom