Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 88 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who the heck is Dean? Is he the Maryland Mole, John from Syracuse or Tristan?

My comments yesterday still reflect my overall opinion of the following:

1. NIL is terrible for the consumer of college sports. It's unregulated craziness which eats into the fandom of a particular team due to the chaos factor.

2. Syracuse needs to have standards starting with the Chancellor to attract the absolute best students possible. Get that ranking up to top 40 and everything will be better. With our unbelievable sports programs (we punch above our weight as a private university) we can be even better nationally...

3. I have some reservations about AA if next year is a step back talent wise for the school. The easy Scott Shafer transition can break two ways with a restless fandom. I'm going to give a minimum of 3 years to AA regardless if we made the NCAAs or not. It's just fair to wash out 46 years of a prior admin. Not sure everyone else will.

4. I don't care that Jesse took advantage of a situation where he got paid more elsewhere. He gave SU four years, got his degree and is a class act. My hat is off to him.

5. I also don't care that his dad is running the show. Being 22 doesn't mean one is actually smart enough to make these decisions without massive amt of emotion involved. Parents can strip away that and make a decision with long term interests involved.

6. I like John Wildhack and Kent Sveryud. Met both, quality stewards of SU and SUAD. If you think otherwise you haven't met them or see what they've done to enrich the school and to set it up for the future.

7. Boston is the best place to live in the country contrary to what JAB says about Syracuse being the best.
You were fine until #7.

This is why I feel a bit torn here. Yes it’s overall a gut punch. But did they make the wrong call? I honestly don’t know if I blame them for walking away. Almost like in the NFL if your team doesn’t re sign someone, and he gets overpaid elsewhere. It’s more annoying than anything that this is the reality.
Plus, how do they justify to the other players paying Jesse north of $500,000? It would be different if he is a future first rounder like Judah. I would imagine they would rather spend that money on Judah (or someone similar), particularly since it sounds like Red wants to play with a different approach than JB.

Last edited:
Plus, how do they justify to the other players paying Jesse north of $500,000? It would be different if he is a future first rounder like Judah. I would imagine they would rather spend that money on Judah (or someone similar), particularly since it sounds like Red wants to play with a different approach than JB.
Agreed and also does $500k buy Red potentially three top 30 recruits? Maybe his thinking is target big dollars to MBA talent and use the rest to incentivize high school higher end talent. My point being there is a few ways to spend and Red may have a strategy in mind.

This is why I feel a bit torn here. Yes it’s overall a gut punch. But did they make the wrong call? I honestly don’t know if I blame them for walking away. Almost like in the NFL if your team doesn’t re sign someone, and he gets overpaid elsewhere. It’s more annoying than anything that this is the reality.

On the flip side, some of those that follow NFL teams that do this or have done this in the past will be okay with this approach.

Do this = overpaying for 1 (or more players) and then later having no money left to pay players that you really need (Oline is a good example) or are coming off rookie contracts and are potential/already are superstars. My Bears are doing this now, purging the roster (last season) and now being smart with how much they'll pay.

I am still worried we won't have the money overall to compete though.

It has nothing to do with age. It has to do with the Benjamin's. 22, 32, 42, 52. Doesn't matter. If someone offers a significant increase in money, the majority of people will take it. Money trumps loyalty. That's the world we live in.

He had NIL here from my understanding. He’s a good player but is he worth big chunks of cash? Idk I know someone mentioned above somewhere that he at times disappeared in games. I appreciate his efforts while he was with us and wish him well.

Greed, overestimate of worth, perceived expectations versus reality. Dislike NIL because there is a belief that unlimited NIL funds exist for everyone in the portal. If that was true, then why recruit players for 4 years if everyone is going to go $$$ hunting after each years.

Has been reported that Jesse got his NIL package from Syracuse to come back, renegotiated and then found his worth was higher? Was reported elsewhere that there is more and went into the portal To get it.

We have gotten back to the point where we despised colleges playing players. Now it comes down to who can promise more money will get the players.

Last edited:
Good for Jesse. Bad for us. Have to move to the next guy.

1681313774334.png

What dollar amount do people think Jesse is worth for one year?

There is no NIL cap.

Because if Jesses dad asked for two gajillion dollars, we’re not here to drop our budget on someone that isn’t Anthony Davis.

Or keep going back and forth every week hence the GM comments.

Still early days with NIL, and there’s hope the market will normalize as folks see the real ROI. Frankly, I’m glad SU didn’t pay beyond real value, which I very much believe to be true with numbers being floated. Build the war chest to spend wisely on value, and let the others throw around cash and exit disappointed. An oversimplification, but every investment expects a return of some kind (just showing up isn’t it). I want to see more emphasis on incentive-based deals - may already be happening, but for others to opine on.

Agreed and also does $500k buy Red potentially three top 30 recruits? Maybe his thinking is target big dollars to MBA talent and use the rest to incentivize high school higher end talent. My point being there is a few ways to spend and Red may have a strategy in mind.
I think it’s closer to 2 or 3 top 50 recruits or 1 very good transfer starter with money left over

I'm not sure about all the bricks being thrown WV's way, but if Jesse elects to play in that league he's going to be bounced around like in a pinball machine.

Who the heck is Dean? Is he the Maryland Mole, John from Syracuse or Tristan?

My comments yesterday still reflect my overall opinion of the following:

1. NIL is terrible for the consumer of college sports. It's unregulated craziness which eats into the fandom of a particular team due to the chaos factor.

2. Syracuse needs to have standards starting with the Chancellor to attract the absolute best students possible. Get that ranking up to top 40 and everything will be better. With our unbelievable sports programs (we punch above our weight as a private university) we can be even better nationally...

3. I have some reservations about AA if next year is a step back talent wise for the school. The easy Scott Shafer transition can break two ways with a restless fandom. I'm going to give a minimum of 3 years to AA regardless if we made the NCAAs or not. It's just fair to wash out 46 years of a prior admin. Not sure everyone else will.

4. I don't care that Jesse took advantage of a situation where he got paid more elsewhere. He gave SU four years, got his degree and is a class act. My hat is off to him.

5. I also don't care that his dad is running the show. Being 22 doesn't mean one is actually smart enough to make these decisions without massive amt of emotion involved. Parents can strip away that and make a decision with long term interests involved.

6. I like John Wildhack and Kent Sveryud. Met both, quality stewards of SU and SUAD. If you think otherwise you haven't met them or see what they've done to enrich the school and to set it up for the future.

7. Boston is the best place to live in the country contrary to what JAB says about Syracuse being the best.
Jaylon brown disagrees with your last statement

UConn’s Sanoga, a foreign student, gets NIL deal with Sunoco.

He (appears to have) made a business decision because SU wouldn’t be competitive. His earning window is fantastically short. That doesn’t mean he didn’t really want to stay. At some point, you have to maximize your earnings. He’s going to choose a perfectly fine option to get paid…and get a grad degree…and expand how he’s living his life a bit while young. SU had to at least be competitive with that option. That’s the business. We knew enough to spend hundreds of millions on facilities. These are the operating costs that it takes to actually make that investment worthwhile.

I’m pretty sure he’s going to play pro for a long time and make a lot of money so again it’s his decision the exciting part is we can get someone else that wants to be here

UConn’s Sanoga, a foreign student, gets NIL deal with Sunoco.

Looks like UCONN figured it out somehow

What dollar amount do people think Jesse is worth for one year?

There is no NIL cap.

Because if Jesses dad asked for two gajillion dollars, we’re not here to drop our budget on someone that isn’t Anthony Davis.
Anthony Davis commanded far less and won Kentucky a national championship.

I’m pretty sure he’s going to play pro for a long time and make a lot of money so again it’s his decision the exciting part is we can get someone else that wants to be here
However long he plays, that’s an exceptionally short time relative to just about every other profession on earth. Of 8-10 years I imagine he’s beating the average by a lot. I can’t fault someone or take it personally when someone in that spot grabs the money. Doesn’t mean I root for them, but they’re allowed to look at for themself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom