Jesse Edwards: | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards:

He literally said, 'no minutes available.' Not sure how that statement could mean anything other than what you have said here.

And he was smug about it...
I don't know, maybe he literally thought that there would be no minutes available. It seems people make proclamations all the time on this forum that end up less than accurate

I don't know, maybe he literally thought that there would be no minutes available. It seems people make proclamations all the time on this forum that end up less than accurate
Could be.

Here are some of his thoughts from the team is back thread.

1595347235473.png

i don't know what Edwards will become and I'm not sure he'll get the chance to do whatever that is on the Hill (depending on how good the guys coming behind him are). But I'm surprised people are down on him in general. Kid put up a 10 and 5 vs. Bucknell in 14 minutes, had 7 in 7 minutes against Ga Tech and 7 in 8 minutes against Louisville. (Bourama scored 7+ in 10 games total with roughly 5.5x as many minutes.)
Fake news!

To be fair, when I lived with a lax player over a decade ago, if I had reported every bit of talk about roster movement, guys looking around, drama, etc. I would have looked pretty clueless from how much it would fluctuate from week to week. Day to day, even. These are college kids and intense competitors playing at the highest level; there's always talk, and the OP could have easily had some real info that just didn't result in anything.

Right -- good post.

I'm not going to beat that poster up -- I think that in the poster's short time here, he's provided some intel that have demonstrated as coming from close to the program. And lord knows that this site chews up people who have posted "insider" info in the past. Would hate to see another poster with close ties to the program who has access to good information get chased away, like so many others have been.

However -- and this is something that I've suggested to ldavid before -- this should be an object lesson that even inside information is not definitive, no matter the source. The players and coaches have opinions, and while they are valid and more informed than outsider perspectives, it shouldn't be presented as "fact." In recent years, the coaches have believed strongly that things would unfold a certain way on the recruiting trail, only to have the cart upended when recruits do something unexpected -- so even what THEY [and it doesn't get any closer to "inside" than the coaches] strongly believe will come to pass isn't always right. So stating things as definitive fact / set in stone isn't a good practice, and just opens you up to criticism if what you claim doesn't come to pass.

Again, these are great sources of information. But in the badly paraphrased words of Heisenberg, sometimes it is better to tread lightly with respect to predictions.

Right -- good post.

I'm not going to beat that poster up -- I think that in the poster's short time here, he's provided some intel that clearly is from close to the program. And lord knows that this site chews up people who have posted "insider" info in the past. Would hate to see another poster with close ties to the program who has access to good information get chased away, like so many others have been.

However -- and this is something that I've suggested to ldavid before -- this should be an object lesson that even inside information is not definitive, no matter the source. The players and coaches have opinions, and while they are valid, it shouldn't be presented as "fact." In recent years, the coaches have believed strongly that things would unfold a certain way on the recruiting trail, only to have the cart upended when recruits do something unexpected -- so even what THEY [and it doesn't get any closer to "inside" than the coaches] aren't always right. So stating things as definitive fact / set in stone isn't a good practice, and just opens you up to criticism if what you claim doesn't come to pass.

Again, these are great sources of information. But in the badly paraphrased words of Heisenberg, sometimes it is better to tread lightly with respect to predictions.
Good points. It doesn't take much imagination to see how an accurate snippet could lead to some inaccurate interpretations. I get some info myself every once in awhile on a couple of the teams, but I would probably never post it for the reasons mentioned. These situations are always extremely fluid.

Good points. It doesn't take much imagination to see how an accurate snippet could lead to some inaccurate interpretations. I get some info myself every once in awhile on a couple of the teams, but I would probably never post it for the reasons mentioned. These situations are always extremely fluid.

100% spot on. And I'll add that things are set in stone... until they aren't anymore.

I could tell you stories about what the coaching staff believed about Nerlens Noel and Quade Green -- and we know how both of those turned out.

If any of that info involves the Syracuse University Dance team feel free to share, even if it's not true.

LOL! I am not down on him but watch the video it is what it is.

I think he need to gain 30+lbs, I also think doing that in Syracuse working with other bigs and the staff is the best place for him to put on the weight he needs and develop a post game.

We have 3 young centers all of them MAY develop, NONE of them are sure things. Anselem is the best athlete, but there are guys in the hall of frame who weren't great athletes and great athletes who never developed into basketball players.

Center is a critical position for us and the hardest position to fill...

I didn't mean to insinuate that you specifically were down on him in general as much as I was trying to point out that as bad as that film is, I feel like we watched him last year play decently at times and show off some intriguing skill.

I was thinking through our centers that last 15-20 years and trying to think of who definitively showed more than Edwards last year. I really liked Onuaku and Etan certainly showed more but I believe they had redshirted (maybe not for Onuaku). I always liked Rick Jackson but I guess he technically was a forward initially. Rak showed a lot more athleticism and potential but couldn't stay on the floor. Forth was functionally adequate for what that team needed but always had an extremely limited ceiling. Baye was excellent but again, offense was always going to be extremely limited. Taurean thompson -- if we count him -- I thought was as good an offensive big man as we've seen in a long time but was absolutely brutal on defense and clearly had issues that ended up sabotaging his career.

I'm rambling, but we've had a long list of guys who showed very little -- McNeil (redshirt), Ovcina, Celuk, Chuckwu (as a third-year player), Fab's freshman year, Forth was functional, as I mentioned, but never showed much upside, Sean Williams, Watkins seemed like a nice athlete but did next to nothing as a frosh, DaShonte Riley ...

To me, Edwards showed more than most of those guys in terms of general skill level and what he *could* potentially be.

But, as you point out, yes, it would be much better if he was here than abroad. Really needs strength and reps. So I don't disagree with those sentiments at all. Just get the vibe that many here are penciling in Anselem as the heir apparent but I don't know that I see it that way.

Right -- good post.

I'm not going to beat that poster up -- I think that in the poster's short time here, he's provided some intel that have demonstrated as coming from close to the program. And lord knows that this site chews up people who have posted "insider" info in the past. Would hate to see another poster with close ties to the program who has access to good information get chased away, like so many others have been.

However -- and this is something that I've suggested to ldavid before -- this should be an object lesson that even inside information is not definitive, no matter the source. The players and coaches have opinions, and while they are valid and more informed than outsider perspectives, it shouldn't be presented as "fact." In recent years, the coaches have believed strongly that things would unfold a certain way on the recruiting trail, only to have the cart upended when recruits do something unexpected -- so even what THEY [and it doesn't get any closer to "inside" than the coaches] strongly believe will come to pass isn't always right. So stating things as definitive fact / set in stone isn't a good practice, and just opens you up to criticism if what you claim doesn't come to pass.

I gave that a like for the Heisenberg reference alone but good points here. I never have problems with insider info b/c if you have no such connection to the program, it's nice to hear that perspective. But you always take it with a bit of a grain of salt.

Having said that, it would have surprised me if they were looking to help Edwards find a different spot given that we (coaches included) don't know anything about JBA, at least in terms of game action, and we (coaches included) can't be so high on Anselem that we think he'll just walk in ready to go. I would think it would make much more sense if they get a commitment from Mac and Anselem looks solid to pursue something like that next year as opposed to simply assuming Edwards' path is blocked b/c of the potential of a frosh (who, let's face it, could get disgruntled and transfer himself -- it's the way of the world these days) and a high schooler who hasn't committed yet.

I gave that a like for the Heisenberg reference alone but good points here. I never have problems with insider info b/c if you have no such connection to the program, it's nice to hear that perspective. But you always take it with a bit of a grain of salt.

Having said that, it would have surprised me if they were looking to help Edwards find a different spot given that we (coaches included) don't know anything about JBA, at least in terms of game action, and we (coaches included) can't be so high on Anselem that we think he'll just walk in ready to go. I would think it would make much more sense if they get a commitment from Mac and Anselem looks solid to pursue something like that next year as opposed to simply assuming Edwards' path is blocked b/c of the potential of a frosh (who, let's face it, could get disgruntled and transfer himself -- it's the way of the world these days) and a high schooler who hasn't committed yet.
I thought the essential fact from Heisenberg was that the observer, by just observing, changed the outcome?

I didn't mean to insinuate that you specifically were down on him in general as much as I was trying to point out that as bad as that film is, I feel like we watched him last year play decently at times and show off some intriguing skill.

I was thinking through our centers that last 15-20 years and trying to think of who definitively showed more than Edwards last year. I really liked Onuaku and Etan certainly showed more but I believe they had redshirted (maybe not for Onuaku). I always liked Rick Jackson but I guess he technically was a forward initially. Rak showed a lot more athleticism and potential but couldn't stay on the floor. Forth was functionally adequate for what that team needed but always had an extremely limited ceiling. Baye was excellent but again, offense was always going to be extremely limited. Taurean thompson -- if we count him -- I thought was as good an offensive big man as we've seen in a long time but was absolutely brutal on defense and clearly had issues that ended up sabotaging his career.

I'm rambling, but we've had a long list of guys who showed very little -- McNeil (redshirt), Ovcina, Celuk, Chuckwu (as a third-year player), Fab's freshman year, Forth was functional, as I mentioned, but never showed much upside, Sean Williams, Watkins seemed like a nice athlete but did next to nothing as a frosh, DaShonte Riley ...

To me, Edwards showed more than most of those guys in terms of general skill level and what he *could* potentially be.

But, as you point out, yes, it would be much better if he was here than abroad. Really needs strength and reps. So I don't disagree with those sentiments at all. Just get the vibe that many here are penciling in Anselem as the heir apparent but I don't know that I see it that way.
I think one of the big problems facing College Basketball is the "death of the American big man" i.e. American bigs don't want to play center, especially a "traditional center" down in the post, back to the basketball.

All of our centers are foreign born and there are issued with that namely coming late to the game, and therefore a longer more questionable development arch.

For example Micawber Etienne want to play "a long side a big" i.e. play PF (this might help us in him recruitment) but he is probably one and done no matter where he goes.

Guys who have the size to play the zone and the offensive game to play on the perimeter don't go to college maybe one a year if you are lucky it's hard to build a program like that.

this right here.gif

Glad to see Jesse back. Hopefully a red shirt does him good although minutes are going to be tough. My source was wrong, sorry!
Hey man no worries. Things change! I think I speak for most on here when I say we really appreciate the inside info you provide and that I hope you don’t get discouraged. As someone with no sources whatsoever any inside info I can get is welcome news to me. So thank you again!

I think one of the big problems facing College Basketball is the "death of the American big man" i.e. American bigs don't want to play center, especially a "traditional center" down in the post, back to the basketball.

All of our centers are foreign born and there are issued with that namely coming late to the game, and therefore a longer more questionable development arch.

For example Micawber Etienne want to play "a long side a big" i.e. play PF (this might help us in him recruitment) but he is probably one and done no matter where he goes.

Guys who have the size to play the zone and the offensive game to play on the perimeter don't go to college maybe one a year if you are lucky it's hard to build a program like that.

Blame it on Kevin Garnett. He changed the perception of what it is to be a big man in the modern game.

and Dirk...
and Magic...
He was the first big who not only could play out of his traditional position, but do it well enough that it changed the entire basketball narrative. For the last 3 decades everyone has been looking for the "next Magic Johnson". Garnett changed the way the 5 position plays the game, but I submit Magic was the original catalyst, since he showcased the possibilities of a big man playing with guard skills: dribbling, passing, shooting, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom