Jesse Edwards | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards

in limited time this year, he has made at least 2 egregiously poor rotations in the zone that i have seen . . . my guess is that jb's more discernible eyes have seen a few more

also, jb has used jba as a forward in limited minutes. he used frank there, too, in cleanup time. that speaks to their lateral quickness & potential versatility as compared to jesse

I agree with half of your posts. I think that the reason Jesse has been "demoted" to second string is that JB looks for defense as the main contribution from his backup 5. That's Jesse's weak suit, despite his overt offensive skill.

I wouldn't read too much into JB playing Frank / JBA at the 4. That's just been his way of getting the inexperienced players out there for PT during mop up duty.

I agree with half of your posts. I think that the reason Jesse has been "demoted" to second string is that JB looks for defense as the main contribution from his backup 5. That's Jesse's weak suit, despite his overt offensive skill.

I wouldn't read too much into JB playing Frank / JBA at the 4. That's just been his way of getting the inexperienced players out there for PT during mop up duty.

I don’t think any of the three is any great shakes ..but I’ve seen nothing from the other two ... nada

I’d be surprised if Edwards and Braswell don’t transfer out after this year. Just a hunch, great kids just don’t think they will ever get meaningful time here.

I think it’s too early to write off Edwards. Not a good sign that guys who weren’t active or on the team last year appear to be ahead of him right now.

But they’re all young, and at this point the center spot seems to be wide open for the future.

But Braswell seems to have a tough road. We’re strong at forward now and have Williams coming in.

I do question the mentality that guys have to bounce around from school to school for “playing time” though. If it’s a guy who isn’t going pro anyway...maybe some of them would be better off sticking around, if they like the school/program they’re at? Guess it depends on the kid. “Playing time” shouldn’t necessarily be the end all be all though for everybody IMO.

I think it’s too early to write off Edwards. Not a good sign that guys who weren’t active or on the team last year appear to be ahead of him right now.

But they’re all young, and at this point the center spot seems to be wide open for the future.

But Braswell seems to have a tough road. We’re strong at forward now and have Williams coming in.

I do question the mentality that guys have to bounce around from school to school for “playing time” though. If it’s a guy who isn’t going pro anyway...maybe some of them would be better off sticking around, if they like the school/program they’re at? Guess it depends on the kid. “Playing time” shouldn’t necessarily be the end all be all though for everybody IMO.

I like everything about this post. I really think you could make a pretty good case for all three bigs and Braswell to hang around. That said, I get how today's game goes and it is likely we don't see that scenario unfold.

But honestly, Sidibe and Dolezaj, I would think, would be gone (I guess maybe they have the option to return?) As good as Benny may be, we've seen that stuff can be hard to predict exactly. But even if he is good, he's more of a wing and he'd pair with Guerrier, which still leaves a lot of time at center open. I don't really know why Edwards or JBA would think they couldn't at least claim decent minutes there, even if Anselem may have the inside track to winning the job.

Even foul trouble alone would give one of those guys good opportunity to grab minutes.

As for Bras -- I feel for him. Really liked how he played as a frosh, then he basically had last year wiped out when in fact he may have been able to push for the rotation (unlikely with Hughes/Dolezaj/Guerrier but not crazy since there was zero depth beyond that) and now they added griffin and Woody to the same group. But he's a big kid who can do some different things. Just needs to find a little success somewhere to calm him down a bit. If that doesn't happen, then yeah, things will get very crowded on him.

If you asked our roster who isn't planning to go pro, how many hands would rise?

Last edited:
I don’t think any of the three is any great shakes ..but I’ve seen nothing from the other two ... nada

I disagree -- the threshold for the backup center under JB is "don't hurt the team."

In the last three games, JBA has fulfilled that expectation, drawn some charges, made some nice passes, etc. That's better than "nada."

I disagree -- the threshold for the backup center under JB is "don't hurt the team."

In the last three games, JBA has fulfilled that expectation, drawn some charges, made some nice passes, etc. That's better than "nada."
i love watching him set the high pick, then roll enthusiastically to the basket.
bless his heart, he doesn't know yet that pass is never coming.

Last edited:
If you asked our roster who isn't planning to go pro, how nay hands would rise?
Why would you want kids at this level who don't think they can be pros? My son's JUCO coach (soccer) won't take kids who aren't committed to being pros. That's JUCO.

As for Bras -- I feel for him...Just needs to find a little success somewhere to calm him down a bit. If that doesn't happen, then yeah, things will get very crowded on him.
My feelings exactly. I was practically pleading with one of his shots to go in. And then I was pleading with him to know he's better than just a jacking it up every time he touches the ball guy. Just a little confidence would help as he seems to play nervous. Almost the opposite of Woody Newton with similar skill sets. I hope he stays. I think we can do worse with the scholarship.

I agree with your playing time comments... I played three sports in high school. I was good in two of them, where I got lots of playing time and helped the team in the field/ice. I sat a lot on the bench in my third sport, but never felt like it was a problem. I knew the guy in front of me was better and helped the team where I could. Braswell may come to terms that he'll be a rotation player only as a sixth year senior, and be ok with getting a bachelors and Masters degree for free.

And oh the memories!

I’d be surprised if Edwards and Braswell don’t transfer out after this year. Just a hunch, great kids just don’t think they will ever get meaningful time here.
braswell for sure i am not sure about edwards-----yet

I think with the way basketball is played now (3 point centric), the ability to move laterally from baseline to baseline is incredibly important. Not sure if Jesse is mobile enough to do so.

Bol has surprised me with his ability to move, he seemed very slow and robotic in his HS film. He doesn't really do anything net positive (all he really does is just move well in the zone and move the ball) but doesn't do anything negative... just a glue guy role so far (which isn't a bad thing).

I'm a little late to this party, but I thought Edwards was two years away last year, and that was before he spent all off season stuck in lockdown/quarentine.

If I was the coach and I saw that he came back not clearly the best of the 3 young centers (which he's not). I'd tell him to spend the whole year lifting hard in the gym and not worry about being 100% for games with the goal of having a more finished product for next year when we will need him.

I'm a little late to this party, but I thought Edwards was two years away last year, and that was before he spent all off season stuck in lockdown/quarentine.

If I was the coach and I saw that he came back not clearly the best of the 3 young centers (which he's not). I'd tell him to spend the whole year lifting hard in the gym and not worry about being 100% for games with the goal of having a more finished product for next year when we will need him.

I thought Edwards would redshirt this year the way JBA did last year. But with the on-off eligibility rule, there's no point in redshirting anyone.

Jesse needs to go after it today, play with his heart and stop over thinking things.

• So last year vs GTECH Jesse played 5 mins. Touched the ball just alittle and made a good move to throw a dunk down and had to be fouled to stop! Made both FT in Dome.
  • At Georgia Tech he played seven minutes was three of three and had 7 points three board
  • Last year we had Sidbe and this year we don’t.
  • Great player development here with Mr. Fear! Having somebody who could play 5 to 10 minutes average a couple baskets and a couple rebounds and his freshman year and now he can’t even get on the floor and we have no other option!

Last edited:
  • So last year vs GTECH Jesse played 5 mins. Touched the ball just alittle and made a good move to throw a dunk down and had to be fouled to stop! Made both FT in Dome.
  • At Georgia Tech he played seven minutes was three of three and had 7 points three board
  • Great player development here with Mr. Fear! Having somebody who could play 5 to 10 minutes average a couple baskets and a couple rebounds and his freshman year and now he can’t even get on the floor and we have no other option!
Yeah, but given the current state of his conditioning, he's unable to play 40 minutes a game.

Sorry but this one is not on the coach. After his good game against Miami Jesse was given a couple of opportunities in the next few games. I vividly remember in both games a smaller guy getting an offensive rebound- not a big deal because Jesse was playing the guy on the high post who missed the shot- but then, in both instances with Jesse right behind him the guy goes right up and drops in the follow off the backboard while Jesse stood there flat-footed giving no challenge to the shot on a guy 6 inches shorter. Coach took him out immediately in both cases and I didn’t blame him one bit. If he doesn’t somehow manufacture some competitive spirit and energy on the defensive end he will just never be a factor. That’s on him.

Sorry but this one is not on the coach. After his good game against Miami Jesse was given a couple of opportunities in the next few games. I vividly remember in both games a smaller guy getting an offensive rebound- not a big deal because Jesse was playing the guy on the high post who missed the shot- but then, in both instances with Jesse right behind him the guy goes right up and drops in the follow off the backboard while Jesse stood there flat-footed giving no challenge to the shot on a guy 6 inches shorter. Coach took him out immediately in both cases and I didn’t blame him one bit. If he doesn’t somehow manufacture some competitive spirit and energy on the defensive end he will just never be a factor. That’s on him.

Those were the wings job to get. Jessie needs to slow down those high-low passes/shots though. IThe problem is more understanding and hands stopping the ball than hustle. Bigs need to work on quick arm movement. Kick a bounce pass every now and then. Even more so in a zone.

Last edited:
Those were the wings job to get. Jessie needs to slow down those high-low passes/shots though. IThe problem is more understanding and hands stopping the ball than hustle. Bigs need to work on quick arm movement. Kick a bounce pass every now and then. Even more so in a zone.
The point was he ended up right there to contest a shot from a much smaller player no less and he didn’t even challenge it. You better expect to take a long seat after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom