Jesse Edwards | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards

Sorry but this one is not on the coach. After his good game against Miami Jesse was given a couple of opportunities in the next few games. I vividly remember in both games a smaller guy getting an offensive rebound- not a big deal because Jesse was playing the guy on the high post who missed the shot- but then, in both instances with Jesse right behind him the guy goes right up and drops in the follow off the backboard while Jesse stood there flat-footed giving no challenge to the shot on a guy 6 inches shorter. Coach took him out immediately in both cases and I didn’t blame him one bit. If he doesn’t somehow manufacture some competitive spirit and energy on the defensive end he will just never be a factor. That’s on him.
Comes in and plays great strong defense after not playing for a month, 100% on the coach. Jesse is making him look stupid.

Comes in and plays great strong defense after not playing for a month, 100% on the coach. Jesse is making him look stupid.
No! I was assured he wasn’t playing him precisely because it would make him look stupid!! You would almost think the coach was at practices and privy to information we aren’t! Silly, I know.

No! I was assured he wasn’t playing him precisely because it would make him look stupid!! You would almost think the coach was at practices and privy to information we aren’t! Silly, I know.
Not sure. He looked fine when he played 23 minutes over a month ago, looks great now.

We went on a 10-0 run against Duke with Ajax. cut it from 22 to 12. Could of had it down to 5 by halftime, just for thought. Highly underestimating, we need marek at the 4.
Marek is a disaster in the middle and he’s getting worse. I’m fine platooning Edwards and Ajak in there. We need the length at center!!!

Not sure. He looked fine when he played 23 minutes over a month ago, looks great now.
He has great potential. Looks great? I think fine is a better characterization. His hands are not good. I think strength will address that. Expectations shape perception.

Edwards looks great! So happy for him.

Hope Jesse decides to stay next year. Today show's his potential in the zone.
Which is what so many have been saying. It’s bizarre that Edwards wasn’t playing more, and it didn’t make any sense. He sure must be terrible in practice...

Last edited:
Young man here stepping up big time vs GT. Excellent defense. Blocks. Rebounds. Disrupting and deflecting.
Length and size cannot be discounted. Marek is just too small and slender. Plus you can move Marek to forward to give us more length along the back line.

Length and size cannot be discounted. Marek is just too small and slender. Plus you can move Marek to forward to give us more length along the back line.
And develop a legitimate rotation where guys get actual rest and teams can’t prepare for the same 7 guys at the same spots every game.

I think the Jesse worship is a wee bit over the top. His Halfcourt D positioning isn’t that great and his hands are frustrating. Deserves some minutes but would still prefer Marek over him for majority minutes at the 5 (even with Marek’s terrible showing today).

I think the Jesse worship is a wee bit over the top. His Halfcourt D positioning isn’t that great and his hands are frustrating. Deserves some minutes but would still prefer Marek over him for majority minutes at the 5 (even with Marek’s terrible showing today).
jesse is really clueless about prioritizing his position defensively...he constantly rotates away from the play and gives up a lot of easy baskets. That SHOULD be easy to fix but havent seen it yet.

When he is in position he is better than marek at center.

I must be seeing something completely different than you guys. Jesse had a few nice plays on defense in the first half, but essentially it was GT playing like they had been - as if there were no resistance inside. Jesse stood tall with arms a couple times and they ran right into it. Good. But he is so weak that there is literally no chance of him collecting a contested rebound. When he gets the ball, opposing players are looking immediately to take it. And they succeed a lot.

I like that he does keep his arms up on D and doesn't "roof" over players which always garners a foul call, but he is unaware in several of his zone responsibilities and is frankly just too physically weak to play right now.

I must be seeing something completely different than you guys. Jesse had a few nice plays on defense in the first half, but essentially it was GT playing like they had been - as if there were no resistance inside. Jesse stood tall with arms a couple times and they ran right into it. Good. But he is so weak that there is literally no chance of him collecting a contested rebound. When he gets the ball, opposing players are looking immediately to take it. And they succeed a lot.

I like that he does keep his arms up on D and doesn't "roof" over players which always garners a foul call, but he is unaware in several of his zone responsibilities and is frankly just too physically weak to play right now.
I can probably count 10 times where he was able to hold his ground where Marek would’ve been pushed around like a 5 year old underneath.

I can probably count 10 times where he was able to hold his ground where Marek would’ve been pushed around like a 5 year old underneath.

You see what you want to see.

jesse is really clueless about prioritizing his position defensively...he constantly rotates away from the play and gives up a lot of easy baskets. That SHOULD be easy to fix but havent seen it yet.

When he is in position he is better than marek at center.
“When he is in position..” is well said. It’s just not frequent enough. (And why he brings the ball down to his waste after a board drives me nuts.)

Isn't it worth a little experimenting at this point in the disappointing season?
So when it's time to give Griffin a rest why not put Jesse at center and move Marek to the forward slot with Q?
How much can it hurt now?

Isn't it worth a little experimenting at this point in the disappointing season?
So when it's time to give Griffin a rest why not put Jesse at center and move Marek to the forward slot with Q?
It’ll hurt because it may cost a win to add to the career record.

Meh, not ready. Because...practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom