Jesse Edwards | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards

Sorry but this one is not on the coach. After his good game against Miami Jesse was given a couple of opportunities in the next few games. I vividly remember in both games a smaller guy getting an offensive rebound- not a big deal because Jesse was playing the guy on the high post who missed the shot- but then, in both instances with Jesse right behind him the guy goes right up and drops in the follow off the backboard while Jesse stood there flat-footed giving no challenge to the shot on a guy 6 inches shorter. Coach took him out immediately in both cases and I didn’t blame him one bit. If he doesn’t somehow manufacture some competitive spirit and energy on the defensive end he will just never be a factor. That’s on him.
Is this a joke?
Jessie has played 48 minutes the entire season.
23 of them were the Miami game.
He has gotten a chance in 3 games since then for a total of 5 minutes in 3 games.

8A51940A-B937-47A7-8374-F2CFFAE8D129.png

Are you serious? The coach doesn’t give him a chance. Edwards has regressed playing time wise from last year when we had Sidibe.

It’s clear the coach doesn’t think he can play and doesn’t give him a chance.
5 minutes in 3 games is not a chance.

The point was he ended up right there to contest a shot from a much smaller player no less and he didn’t even challenge it. You better expect to take a long seat after that.
Anyone to assess a player in JUST the first minute HE IS INTHE GAME when he’s not even in the flow shouldn’t even watch basketball.

Sorry but this one is not on the coach. After his good game against Miami Jesse was given a couple of opportunities in the next few games. I vividly remember in both games a smaller guy getting an offensive rebound- not a big deal because Jesse was playing the guy on the high post who missed the shot- but then, in both instances with Jesse right behind him the guy goes right up and drops in the follow off the backboard while Jesse stood there flat-footed giving no challenge to the shot on a guy 6 inches shorter. Coach took him out immediately in both cases and I didn’t blame him one bit. If he doesn’t somehow manufacture some competitive spirit and energy on the defensive end he will just never be a factor. That’s on him.
I didn’t even see this horrible take go back and watch the Clemson game last year and I’m sure he’s at least 10 pounds stronger than that go back and watch George tech he attacked on the road where he scored seven points in seven minutes.

Jess can do what we need him to do and if you’re going to sit there and blindly defend Jim know this!

Jim has told a 1)former player and 2)a coach close to the program (that coached at another program) that he has to stick with what he decided at this point because if Jesse plays well his decision will be beat even more to death (obviously make him look wrong) that he made months ago.

Agree 20plus. As much as I hate to say it; not having Dole at the 4 for 20 seems like a ploy to play griffin and Guerrier together for 30. To much love to play the best players even if it cost us mismatches across our entire backline; and it's irritating. We played our best ball against Duke with Ajax on the floor, if he doesn't get 15-20 minutes next to Dolezaj together today I'm gonna Yell at my tv. :p

Last edited:
I didn’t even see this horrible take go back and watch the Clemson game last year and I’m sure he’s at least 10 pounds stronger than that go back and watch George tech he attacked on the road where he scored seven points in seven minutes.

Jess can do what we need him to do and if you’re going to sit there and blindly defend Jim know this!

Jim has told a 1)former player and 2)a coach close to the program (that coached at another program) that he has to stick with what he decided at this point because if Jesse plays well his decision will be beat even more to death (obviously make him look wrong) that he made months ago.
Blindly defend him? Are you kidding me? I’ve been harder on him than you on the Kadary subject. The issue as always is you blindly attack him. Your emotion gets in the way of your basketball sense- which I admit you have most of the time. You’re wrong about Jesse. If he were to turn a corner and show some teeth in practice, I believe you would see him in games.
And this notion that Boeheim fears Jesse would play well and make him look foolish for not playing him more??? Jim Boeheim is about winning first and foremost. He might say something in his post game comments to defend his moves that piss is off but don’t fool yourself.

Most all of his decisions are beat to death already so dont understand the fear.

Closed practices gives them a chance to fall back on excuses. It's not that Eddy is the savior it's we really need Marek at the 4. For the good of the 3 the 4 on both sides of the ball, and to give the 5 some help. Ajax is far ahead of Eddy atm and should be getting love. We went on a 10-0 run against duke with him cut the lead down to 12 and he got pulled. Could have been 4-7 at halftime. Made no sense.

Its a roll of the dice though with Eddy If he screws up for 3 defensive possessions in the first half, doesn't mean he shouldn't be given a chance for 2 more in the second. Yeah, it's 10 points chances our we score twice in those 5 possessions too.

I like Jesse’s potential a lot. I think he has a high upside. But you’re not wrong with that observation. Kid needs to play with more fire and urgency when he does get minutes and in practice.

Agree 20plus. As much as I hate to say it; not having Dole at the 4 for 20 seems like a ploy to play griffin and Guerrier together for 30. To much love to play the best players even if it cost us mismatches across our entire backline; and it's irritating. We played our best ball against Duke with Ajax on the floor, if he doesn't get 15-20 minutes next to Dolezaj together today I'm gonna Yell at my tv. :p
No to Ajak. Yes to Jesse.

Blindly defend him? Are you kidding me? I’ve been harder on him than you on the Kadary subject. The issue as always is you blindly attack him. Your emotion gets in the way of your basketball sense- which I admit you have most of the time. You’re wrong about Jesse. If he were to turn a corner and show some teeth in practice, I believe you would see him in games.
And this notion that Boeheim fears Jesse would play well and make him look foolish for not playing him more??? Jim Boeheim is about winning first and foremost. He might say something in his post game comments to defend his moves that piss is off but don’t fool yourself.
You don’t get it twisted everyone knows Jim wants to win! Trust me he’s convinced himself too early and contrary to what little evidence we’ve seen in games that he can help us in games and he can put the other three or four players in the correct position to rebound .

When Jesse is in the game or any center that makes at least three or four other positions with a potential to improve the rebounding at that position

Jim’s lack of an open mind and flexibility and experimenting is a character and personality flaw that he has.

We went on a 10-0 run against Duke with Ajax. cut it from 22 to 12. Could of had it down to 5 by halftime, just for thought. Highly underestimating, we need marek at the 4.
Exactly

My point is whether it’s Jesse,Jon, Frank whoever if you can have two other bigger forwards in the game and imagine putting Alan at the two Richmond at the one how good we would be on defense and in rebounding!

Oh by the way if you can defend and rebound that will lead to points on offense

Jim wants to pretend that buddy and Joe are Steph and Clay.

Need to show why you’re deserving of more PT, during the Pt you’re given. Edwards hasn’t done that this year.

I do question the mentality that guys have to bounce around from school to school for “playing time” though. If it’s a guy who isn’t going pro anyway...maybe some of them would be better off sticking around, if they like the school/program they’re at? Guess it depends on the kid. “Playing time” shouldn’t necessarily be the end all be all though for everybody IMO.

I too wondered about that. As far as bouncing around Moyer has the most stops. It would be interesting to hear his experiences and looking back in a heart to heart devo podcast on what he went through here and at other stops.

Does anybody have any good info on what happened to our mystery man, Frank Anselem? I've heard he had Covid. I haven't heard if he was injured. JB said he came here year early. I'm not saying he should start or even play significant minutes. It just seems strange that it's like he's not there any more. He was the sort of 4 star recruit we wanted to get to turn things around at that position.

(1) Frank Anselem Is A GOAT!!! - Bing video

(1) Frank Anselem, Georgia Stars; Class of 2021 - Bing video

Does anybody have any good info on what happened to our mystery man, Frank Anselem? I've heard he had Covid. I haven't heard if he was injured. JB said he came here year early. I'm not saying he should start or even play significant minutes. It just seems strange that it's like he's not there any more. He was the sort of 4 star recruit we wanted to get to turn things around at that position.

(1) Frank Anselem Is A GOAT!!! - Bing video

(1) Frank Anselem, Georgia Stars; Class of 2021 - Bing video

Covid.

Just started practicing again.

Hurt his ankle this week. :(

JB needs to rotate players just to keep players attention. If you take a play off on the defensive end, you get time sitting down. It’s amazing how much harder players will play. JB always acts like he’s going destroy a players confidence if he sits them down. If they’re that weak minded they shouldn’t be playing D1 baske5ball.

Does Jesse have the ability to perhaps become a Leron Ellis-type center as an upperclassman, i.e. a functional college center who can rebound, defend the basket and score inside when necessary?

Or is this more likely to be a Sean Williams 2.0 situation?
He has already proven he is not a Sean Williams.

Calling bullspit on this. No way.

Boeheim clearly moved to Jesse as the best option to back up Marek at the 5. He's apparently been passed by Ajak of late. What happens in practice doesn't always stay in practice.

Lack of a regular cadence of practice time affects different players and different positions differently. Jesse's late arrival compounded that.

Ajax is gonna give us atleast 10 backing up at the four next year and put on 8-12 solid post-up pounds in the offseason. Much easier to do than 20 pounds. Can't wait.

In VERY limited time, I liked what I saw from him. Too bad.
Athleticism is clearly there. But it's very challenging to play the 5 in our system as a true freshman even in normal times. I'm sure there is a reason multiple high level P5 programs were after this kid in the class of 2021. I have high hopes that we will see why starting next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom