JGIII | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JGIII

What?

1. Wife said his adding weight has thrown off his center of gravity, which actually could be legit.

2. Gaining muscle mass in his chest and shoulders have messed with his motion and elasticity

3. He‘s baked

debate amongst yourselves

His added weight is definitely an issue. I think if they can somehow stay away from more covid interruptions he’ll shed some of it as the season goes on and will get his body back in shape. But no reason for a 6’1 guard who was never going to be the quickest player out there to weigh 205 lbs. Maybe Dino could use that bulk at QB. He should not be over 190 lbs for his size. The added weigh has certainly looked to affect his lift and lateral quickness, and added upper body mass can definitely take away flexibility/elasticity and mess with muscle memory. I remember reading that he was doing football type weight lifting during quarantine...I know the players weren’t on campus but you would think they would be given a training regimen to follow?? Obviously the layoffs haven’t helped, and I do think Girard will be fine in the long run, but it could take awhile and Richmond may steal his job before then.

I actually do agree with the CoVid fatigue piece. He was all over the court last year and hustled like crazy. That was also who he was in HS, even as being the focal point of the offense.

Adding muscle can mess with a shooter’s touch. But adding muscle will not make a person less flexible, except in the most extreme cases. That’s a giant myth. Guys like Ronnie Coleman who can’t scratch their backs are the level of ‘extreme’ I’m talking about. JG3 is about 400 rounds of steroids and 10,000 hours of lifting heavy weights away from that.

I actually do agree with the CoVid fatigue piece. He was all over the court last year and hustled like crazy. That was also who he was in HS, even as being the focal point of the offense.
Whatever it is, he is definitely not the same player. I am sure he will get it right. We could have a really nice guard rotation once JG gets back in to shape. Especially when you consider Alan Griffin and even Woody Newton might play some minutes there. Ok, we all know that won't happen outside of blowouts.

Adding muscle can mess with a shooter’s touch. But adding muscle will not make a person less flexible, except in the most extreme cases. That’s a giant myth. Guys like Ronnie Coleman who can’t scratch their backs are the level of ‘extreme’ I’m talking about. JG3 is about 400 rounds of steroids and 10,000 hours of lifting heavy weights away from that.
He doesn't look like he added muscle to me. He just added weight.

He doesn't look like he added muscle to me. He just added weight.

with the level of cardio these guys do (especially a guard), it is unlikely he could add fat if he wanted to.

whatever the reason(s) he is not close to the same guy that surprised last year

Whatever it is, he is definitely not the same player. I am sure he will get it right. We could have a really nice guard rotation once JG gets back in to shape. Especially when you consider Alan Griffin and even Woody Newton might play some minutes there. Ok, we all know that won't happen outside of blowouts.

I think Woody is more natural there than Griffin oddly. Woody can slash,drive and shoot it. Griff likes to mix it up more.

Back to JG3 - he will get his groove back. For him, his shot is what gets him going. So with the ongoing funk, the rest of his game is not there right now. Conditioning, fatigue from CoVid maybe or the weight gain, all has him off his game. Also last year he got to sort of be Co-Alpha a lot. He now needs to be as already mentioned the microwave guy. It is going to take him having a big game to really right the ship. When that happens, and it will, it should be a turning point for the kid. Its important to note he will be scouted by college coaches every game now. That means he has to adapt. At GF they triple teamed him at times but this is much different.

Something is definitely different. He doesn’t have that swagger he played with last season. He looks tired. He doesn’t even have a ton of lift it seams on his jumper.
Once he gets his sea legs back he’ll be fine! I think having him off the ball will help him even more!

His added weight is definitely an issue. I think if they can somehow stay away from more covid interruptions he’ll shed some of it as the season goes on and will get his body back in shape. But no reason for a 6’1 guard who was never going to be the quickest player out there to weigh 205 lbs. Maybe Dino could use that bulk at QB. He should not be over 190 lbs for his size. The added weigh has certainly looked to affect his lift and lateral quickness, and added upper body mass can definitely take away flexibility/elasticity and mess with muscle memory. I remember reading that he was doing football type weight lifting during quarantine...I know the players weren’t on campus but you would think they would be given a training regimen to follow?? Obviously the layoffs haven’t helped, and I do think Girard will be fine in the long run, but it could take awhile and Richmond may steal his job before then.

Football type weightlifting would generally be explosive training that focuses on speed more than limit strength. It’d be a lot of Olympic lifts or variations of Olympic lifts. That stuff would improve vertical and speed/quickness

Something is definitely different. He doesn’t have that swagger he played with last season. He looks tired. He doesn’t even have a ton of lift it seams on his jumper.
Once he gets his sea legs back he’ll be fine! I think having him off the ball will help him even more!

maybe he has a demanding girlfriend

I think Woody is more natural there than Griffin oddly. Woody can slash,drive and shoot it. Griff likes to mix it up more.

Back to JG3 - he will get his groove back. For him, his shot is what gets him going. So with the ongoing funk, the rest of his game is not there right now. Conditioning, fatigue from CoVid maybe or the weight gain, all has him off his game. Also last year he got to sort of be Co-Alpha a lot. He now needs to be as already mentioned the microwave guy. It is going to take him having a big game to really right the ship. When that happens, and it will, it should be a turning point for the kid. Its important to note he will be scouted by college coaches every game now. That means he has to adapt. At GF they triple teamed him at times but this is much different.

I thought for sure Woody would be an odd man out this year, but he's playing surprisingly well, and seeing him at the TOP of the 2-3 was definitely not on my 2020 bingo card!

He and Kadary at the top of the zone is LOOOOOOOONG. Don't know if that's a thing we'll see against non-Niagara teams, but it was fun tonite.

Meanwhile - Earl is struggling mightily.
You can see his 3 pt attempts aren't going in from the moment they leave his hand.
And he's just out of sorts - let's hope that's temporary.

I thought for sure Woody would be an odd man out this year, but he's playing surprisingly well, and seeing him at the TOP of the 2-3 was definitely not on my 2020 bingo card!

He and Kadary at the top of the zone is LOOOOOOOONG. Don't know if that's a thing we'll see against non-Niagara teams, but it was fun tonite.

Meanwhile - Earl is struggling mightily.
You can see his 3 pt attempts aren't going in from the moment they leave his hand.
And he's just out of sorts - let's hope that's temporary.

Yeah Woody reminded me of when CJ Fair saw his first action. Just comes out and knocks a shot down and makes a couple good plays. He also didn't pull a Mookie in the second half and showed patience. Woody did a few things we all wanted to see Brycen do more of last year early on in the freebie games.

The weight hypothesis: how does that work? Let's say he's a bit heavy, just for argument's sake. He didn't get that way all of a sudden. He must have been playing/practicing/shooting as he gradually got heavier. Throwing off his center of gravity? I could see that happening if a person put on a weighted vest or something. But, we're talking about ounces or less per day, over time. All while the body and brain gets used to it, because each incremental gain is the 'new normal' on that day.

Weight can absolutely be a problem if it slows down an already slow player, and he's having to work just that 5% harder to do the things he used to do which were already a struggle. And that gets into your head and affects your shot.

But, he's a shooter. He's used to volume scoring. If weight is a thing, he'll lose it, and get his head back. The challenge is for him to do that when faced with real, valid competition for the position. He only got the starting spot because the presumed starter was such a failure. But, he put up some good numbers in situations, and he's got the mentality to get himself right. I think he'll be fine, and eventually we'll be better for having him 'back to normal,' but hopefully with not as much responsibility as he was prematurely forced into.

The weight hypothesis: how does that work? Let's say he's a bit heavy, just for argument's sake. He didn't get that way all of a sudden. He must have been playing/practicing/shooting as he gradually got heavier. Throwing off his center of gravity? I could see that happening if a person put on a weighted vest or something. But, we're talking about ounces or less per day, over time. All while the body and brain gets used to it, because each incremental gain is the 'new normal' on that day.

Weight can absolutely be a problem if it slows down an already slow player, and he's having to work just that 5% harder to do the things he used to do which were already a struggle. And that gets into your head and affects your shot.

But, he's a shooter. He's used to volume scoring. If weight is a thing, he'll lose it, and get his head back. The challenge is for him to do that when faced with real, valid competition for the position. He only got the starting spot because the presumed starter was such a failure. But, he put up some good numbers in situations, and he's got the mentality to get himself right. I think he'll be fine, and eventually we'll be better for having him 'back to normal,' but hopefully with not as much responsibility as he was prematurely forced into.

Good Post - 100 pct agree.

It's definitely not an issue of too much muscle mass (whatever that actually means to some on here, because we've never had a player that came close to that). It might be a body composition issue, though, as he looks out of shape at the moment - i.e. a little "puffy". If he was sick recently it might explain it. He hasn't played up to the level he played at last year. Maybe the freshmen can get some quality minutes while JG gets back up to speed.

Whenever shooters have cold streaks, fans look for changes to point to that must be the cause. Usually the cause is just that shooting 3 pointers in competitive games is hard. I know GMac wasn’t impervious to criticism, but he got more of a pass for games in which he’d go 1-12 (with mediocre defense) than some of the more recent short white shooters we’ve had.

The only thing I’m worried about with Girard is the turnovers. 4 turnovers against Niagara is not good at all.

Edit: I suppose I should note that GMac was also a higher percentage shooter and obviously a clutch playmaker. Point being, he’d have some serious cold streaks to go along with the scalding hot streaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who don't think Joe is slower this year...

Yep, and he got off the ground enough to get shots off. I think that Joe will be back.

Yep, and he got off the ground enough to get shots off. I think that Joe will be back.
He needs to drop those 15lbs he gained + another 5 wouldn't hurt...guards need speed more than strength