Jim Boeheim is synonymous with Syracuse basketball. Who could succeed him when the time comes? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim is synonymous with Syracuse basketball. Who could succeed him when the time comes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we don't use a search firm. Search firms brought Nancy Cantor, Daryl Gross and Greg Robinson to SU. Much better not to use a search firm ... if you can hire a known quality ... such as SU did with John Wildhack.

Last edited:
here's what will happen:
autry will leave for a head coaching in the next 1-3 years, gerry moves up to top assistant
jb is not going to do a retirement tour. when he's ready to go, he'll announce it on the eve of a new season, leaving suad no choice but to name gerry interim head coach. but the team jb leaves him will be stacked with talent. gerry has a very good year, they remove the interim tag

here's what will happen:
autry will leave for a head coaching in the next 1-3 years, gerry moves up to top assistant
jb is not going to do a retirement tour. when he's ready to go, he'll announce it on the eve of a new season, leaving suad no choice but to name gerry interim head coach. but the team jb leaves him will be stacked with talent. gerry has a very good year, they remove the interim tag
I don't know about the names, but this scenario is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Gmac is the reason we’re involved with all these 2019 recruits yet I still have to see KCSU type stupid crap everyday.
Easy . I will say that if Gmac is named head coach of any program i hope that he surrounds himself with assistant coaches that can recruit. HB picked a young assistant named Rick that ended up helping him land some pretty good players.

I would be very surprised if Duke handed over the keys to Jon Scheyer.

No, but I could totally see Capel or Hurley.

Gmac isn’t 25 anymore and he’s not doing much different that Hop was at the same age.

I hope we don't use a search firm. Search firms brought Nancy Cantor, Daryl Gross and Greg Robinson to SU. Much better not to use a search firm ... if you can hire a known quality ... such as SU did with John Wildhack.

Thank you. Totally agree.

here's what will happen:
So the Jim Calhoun ending which resulted in Kevin Ollie getting the UConn job.

No offense but we are an ACC school it’s not a comparison with UCONN. GMac should be our next head coach

No offense but we are an ACC school it’s not a comparison with UCONN. GMac should be our next head coach
Fine the Eddie Sutton retirement at Oklahoma State which gave the job to his son Sean Sutton.

GMac is doing a solid job as an assistant coach but he hasn’t shown he should be our next HC. Autry is a better recruiter and is the lead assistant. If it’s internal he has shown more.

JB will coach forever.

If he doesn't Hop comes home.

Or Greg Paulus comes home.

I’ll take one of our own assistants over Paulus.

Syracuse basketball guys, better players in their day, older and more experienced...

"...blistering, cold winters of central New York." How can cold winters be blistering?

Do you guys think the article itself underrates Syracuse's program a little bit? I think its fair to rank the program behind Duke and Kentucky, but Syracuse is certainly right there. More of a top 10 program than a top 20. ESPN's historical rankings not that long ago had Syracuse at 9th. You would think the Syracuse brand alone would give it a massive talent pool of top tier coaches.

Do you guys think the article itself underrates Syracuse's program a little bit? I think its fair to rank the program behind Duke and Kentucky, but Syracuse is certainly right there. More of a top 10 program than a top 20. ESPN's historical rankings not that long ago had Syracuse at 9th. You would think the Syracuse brand alone would give it a massive talent pool of top tier coaches.
Syracuse is a good job because of Jim Boeheim.
His loyalty has allowed the fanbase to show crazy amounts of support knowing he would always put atleast a competitive team on the court.

It’s important to give JB that respect. I think the SU is as good in the future as much as the AD/administration are willing to spend to keep the program nationally strong. JB has been a loyal soldier the next guy needs to be closer to market value.

I agree we don’t need a search firm but GMac shouldn’t be the number 1 option as the next HC.

Last edited:
Fine the Eddie Sutton retirement at Oklahoma State which gave the job to his son Sean Sutton.

Also, Dean Smith to Bill Guthridge.

Good thread. Lot of interesting perspectives and food for thought. One person I was surprised not to see mentioned anywhere is Ryan Blackwell. Doing a nice job with high school team and needs to move to the college level if he is interested in advancing in the coaching ranks. FWIW Hop would be my number one choice at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.