Jim Boeheim is synonymous with Syracuse basketball. Who could succeed him when the time comes? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim is synonymous with Syracuse basketball. Who could succeed him when the time comes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Dean Smith to Bill Guthridge.

Guthrie was always only going to be a short-term replacement anyway. It was a reward for being Smith’s no. 2 for so many years.

The accurate succession was really Dean Smith to Matt Dougherty and that didn’t turn out so well.

I wonder if Nate Oats would be on the list depending on his career arc

Brad Stevens will never coach here. If he goes back to college game it will be for Duke, Kansas etc.
Celtics people I know say he only took the Celtics job because of how Crean did in 2013 and he thought the Indiana job would be locked up for the foreseeable future.
That is why he left for the NBA.
Now that the job opened up subsequently he wasn’t interested in it because of how good his NBA job became.
He has the second best NBA job and is making 7 million a year. He won’t leave the NBA for the next decade with his job and talent on the team.
However if he goes back to college Indiana would be the job he would covet. He loves Indianapolis.

I think it would be a truly great idea if they waited until JB's retirement to see who, among current successful head coaches, is genuinely interested. I don't think an SU bloodline is as important as successful head coaching experience combined with a real desire to coach at Syracuse, taking what Boeheim has created and building upon it. It'll be interesting to see whose name pops up then.

*EDIT... If that name happens to be Mike Hopkins, I for one would NOT be disappointed.

here's what will happen:
autry will leave for a head coaching in the next 1-3 years, gerry moves up to top assistant
jb is not going to do a retirement tour. when he's ready to go, he'll announce it on the eve of a new season, leaving suad no choice but to name gerry interim head coach. but the team jb leaves him will be stacked with talent. gerry has a very good year, they remove the interim tag

'Cause that worked out so well for UConn...

Celtics people I know say he only took the Celtics job because of how Crean did in 2013 and he thought the Indiana job would be locked up for the foreseeable future.
That is why he left for the NBA.
Now that the job opened up subsequently he wasn’t interested in it because of how good his NBA job became.
He has the second best NBA job and is making 7 million a year. He won’t leave the NBA for the next decade with his job and talent on the team.
However if he goes back to college Indiana would be the job he would covet. He loves Indianapolis.

Brad isn't going anywhere. His family loves Boston and he just re-upped his deal. I think he'll be the next USA hoops coach as well. He certainly isn't coming to Syracuse.

I agree with Alsacs, in the 10% he goes back to college, Indiana is the play.

This list isn’t pretty unimaginative. Then again, who knows who will be the next hot up-and-coming coach in CBB in 4-6 years? I think Hop will ultimately take the Cuse job—a top 4 ACC job puts you in a better position for landing the best recruits and getting tourney bids and winning championships than any PAC 12 job save for UCLA and Arizona. Cuse’s revenue potential is extremely high because of the Dome and the ACC affiliation (add in the coming renovation). FYI, the last West Coast team to win a national title was UCLA in 1996, and they’re a blue blood.

If Hop doesn’t take the job, we’ll snag the next up-and-comer Shaka Smart, Archie Miller, Brad Stevens type. Or even a Chris Mack-to-Louisville scenario—a guy who’s won at a high level at a very good basketball school (Xavier) but wants to take things to the next stratosphere (with a top 10-15 CBB job). I’m surprised they didn’t list a guy like Bobby Hurley, who would probably love to return to the East Coast and better recruiting grounds, and get to duke it out with his brother at rival Uconn.

The thought of Bobby Hurley or any Duke player coaching here makes me want to vomit.

it's gonna be gerry
just stop. SU is not St Bona. Y'all wanted one of the top-rated head coaching assistants in the country to go out and prove himself worthy of this gig, but now a proven coaching resume doesn't matter?

This is getting silly. So all I have to do is reel in a couple top-100 recruits and my name will be in consideration?

If your theory is true and JB wants to pull a Calhoun and force the university's hand - then Wildhack should fire him immediately.

Last edited:
I have tempered my takes on GMac as an assistant as I think he is doing a good job.
I just don’t want him as JB’s successor if he is still on the staff when JB retires. It’s way too much of. a gamble.

That’s fine, but 80 percent of the board didn’t want Hop either until halfway through last year. I’m just happy Wildhack will be making the decision and not the board.

'Cause that worked out so well for UConn...
but that's not what happened at uconn. it was always going to be ollie; he was their hopkins
just stop. SU is not St Bona. Y'all wanted one of the top-rated head coaching assistants in the country to go out and prove himself worthy of this gig, but now a proven coaching resume doesn't matter?

This is getting silly. So all I have to do is reel in a couple top-100 recruits and my name will be in consideration?

If your theory is true and JB wants to pull a Calhoun and force the university's hand - then Wildhack should fire him immediately.
some people want that; not i. i was on board with the succession plan. until probation, that is, when i thought su should have cleaned house & fired all three of doc gross, jb and hop.

and, above, i noted that my preferred candidate now is red and i would be happy to accept murphy.

i'm predicting it is gerry, but i don't desire it.

It's going to be Gerry, I don't want that and his recruiting still needs a lot of work. Would rather have Red if we're staying in house.

I'm not on the Gerry train. We need to use this as a change to bring in someone with national prominence to continue to legacy of Cuse basketball that JB has built.

IMO, it would be a step back to go in-house.

I'm not on the Gerry train. We need to use this as a change to bring in someone with national prominence to continue to legacy of Cuse basketball that JB has built.

IMO, it would be a step back to go in-house.

I’d take Hopkins back in a second.

I’d take Hopkins back in a second.

One guy who I think would really like to be considered is Buzz Williams. He is a pretty good coach. And he goes out of his way to talk glowingly about us on TV, like he'd really like to coach in the Dome some day.

Will Wade is a promising young coach, but is maybe too much of a southerner. We know where our recruiting grounds are located. If things don't work out for Archie Miller at Indiana (they were a .500 team in his first year), he might be interesting. Danny Hurley, too, if he does well at UConn. Mark Schmidt from Bonaventure is doing good work, too.

Gregg Marshall and Chris Mack (if it doesn't work out at Louisville) are both probably too old. Mick Cronin doesn't excite me. Chris Collins is the right age profile but surely is waiting for a crack at the Duke job.

One guy who I think would really like to be considered is Buzz Williams. He is a pretty good coach. And he goes out of his way to talk glowingly about us on TV, like he'd really like to coach in the Dome some day.

Will Wade is a promising young coach, but is maybe too much of a southerner. We know where our recruiting grounds are located. If things don't work out for Archie Miller at Indiana (they were a .500 team in his first year), he might be interesting. Danny Hurley, too, if he does well at UConn. Mark Schmidt from Bonaventure is doing good work, too.

Gregg Marshall and Chris Mack (if it doesn't work out at Louisville) are both probably too old. Mick Cronin doesn't excite me. Chris Collins is the right age profile but surely is waiting for a crack at the Duke job.
I don't want anyone that has the tag things didn't work out at fill in the blank.

... Chris Collins is the right age profile but surely is waiting for a crack at the Duke job.

If we don't go internally, I love the idea of Chris Collins if he doesn't get the Duke job. He's done a good job at Northwestern (taken them to their first NCAA appearance in their history), and he is an amazingly hard worker. I got to know Chris pretty well during the 2008 and 2012 Olympics where he did much of the heavy lifting for Coach K. Personality-wise, he is very similar to Mike Hopkins (and they are close friends).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom