Jim Boeheim: Teacher of DEFENSE | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim: Teacher of DEFENSE

Ceerqqq

Scout Team
All this season I've been looking for clues to whether or not Boeheim would be able to teach this group of players how to play his defense the way he has always imagined it in his mind. There have been flashes, but it has not been encouraging for a long time. Has it just been the batch of talent he happens to have this time? Are they not able to get it? Has Jim Boeheim finally forgotten how to coach?

Now, with the last two victories over tough competition, we've seen the guys playing defense the way Jim's intends it. Just a few games ago, it seemed liked the guys were just sitting back to start off the first half, trying to remember where they're supposed to be as the ball moves around, but always being a half-step slow to make a play.

But especially today, the team looked like the guys finally 'get it.' Like they understand that if they can't make this defense their single biggest team weapon, they ain't gonna go anywhere. Indeed, they actually looked "tournament ready" in today's game, playing defense the way Jim's teams usually do when they've been able to get into the NCAAT and make a run.

I think this is what Jim tries to do every year, blending in the new talent, continually stopping practice to teach, running his key 7-8 players through the repetitions they need for it all to become instinctive. Today, it looked like his season-long efforts have finally born fruit. Seems they understand now: yer not playing this Zone right if the other team isn't feeling pressured when they face you in the half court.

What we saw today was the entire team pressuring the passing lanes, hands everywhere reaching to make steals, especially in the paint, that we just haven't seen most of the year. When they're all doing it, it's a thing of beauty, and Boeheim knows it. So all the credit in the world to Boeheim for his repeatedly demonstrated ability to coach a team of players into their best possible performances as a team in a relatively short season.

What I've seen the last two games gives me a huge amount of encouragement re: this team's potential to win a couple of games in the ACCT. They look like they're "there" now and that means we have good reason to hope for some very satisfying victories next week...

Thought I might add that because our defense has looked so good the last two games against tough competition, I think there's a good chance we'll see:

1) an NCAAT invite
2) a better-than-anyone-would-have-expected run, once there
3) an extremely enjoyable time when I and others will be able to throw another great Jim Boeheim achievement in the faces of all his detractors. Mucho schadenfreude.

It's not that Boeheim shouldn't ever face criticism...no one's above it.

What is face-palmingly ridiculous is the way Boeheim's bashers can't wait to jump on any/every failure at any point of any season to proclaim that it's time for him to go. They can't wait for the season to end to issue their judgments of his coaching. That's when it makes sense to present your case, when you know how it all ends up.

Teaching a team how to play their best over the course of a season involves a lot of bumps along the way. Why Boeheim's critics keep setting themselves up for crow feasts is beyond me. Just wait, guys! Are you afraid you'll lose your moment of opportunity?

(Yes, I'm expecting an impressive finish for this year's team based on the past performance of Jim Boeheim teams, on his proven ability to build competitive teams over the course of a season. Sure, it might not happen, but anyone who doesn't realize that Boeheim's NCAA lightning could strike again just hasn't been paying attention.)

Last edited:
Totally agree about putting it together with our backs against the wall.
We have given up an average of 84 points in our last 6 losses. They were all on the road. Just don't want to see us get too overconfident with our smaller lineups. We finally locked it down and figured it out though. I added it in every thread why not this one? Just add another 8-10 bubble play in games and we are deservingly already in.

20130415-080357.jpg

Thought I might add that because our defense has looked so good the last two games against tough competition, I think there's a good chance we'll see:

1) an NCAAT invite
2) a better-than-anyone-would-have-expected run, once there
3) an extremely enjoyable time when I and others will be able to throw another great Jim Boeheim achievement in the faces of all his detractors. Mucho schadenfreude.

It's not that Boeheim shouldn't ever face criticism...no one's above it.

What is face-palmingly ridiculous is the way Boeheim's bashers can't wait to jump on any/every failure at any point of any season to proclaim that it's time for him to go. They can't wait for the season to end to issue their judgments of his coaching. That's when it makes sense to present your case, when you know how it all ends up.

Teaching a team how to play their best over the course of a season involves a lot of bumps along the way. Why Boeheim's critics keep setting themselves up for crow feasts is beyond me. Just wait, guys! Are you afraid you'll lose your moment of opportunity?

(Yes, I'm expecting an impressive finish for this year's team based on the past performance of Jim Boeheim teams, on his proven ability to build competitive teams over the course of a season. Sure, it might not happen, by anyone who doesn't realize that Boeheim NCAA lightning couldn't strike again just hasn't been paying attention.)
I was similarly transfixed watching the Enigma Zone operate in the last 2 games and got to thinking when I have seen it operate at such a high efficiency. It really reminds me of the 2003 zone during the championship run that totally dominated every team. If they can give that effort during the ACCT, i think they win it.

Last edited:
I've been trying to make a connection between this image and this thread?
Gotta clue for the old guy?
When Karate Kid learned "wax on, wax off" as reflex actions needing no thoght, he became a winner. When the team learns defense as a reflex with out thought, it REALLY works.

Last edited:
I think our energy was better but we benefitted in that UNC (especially) and Clemson couldn't make much from deep. I'll think our D is back when we slow down a team with shooters. Duke will be an interesting test.

I was more impressed in the Clemson game that we didn't wilt under their D and ran a competent offense. AGain shots going in helps.

Elisabeth Shue and Tiffani Amber Theissen were the two loves of my life as a kid.
I remember when the debate was Susan Dey (Partridge Family) vs Maureen McGovern ( Brady Bunch).

I remember when the debate was Susan Dey (Partridge Family) vs Maureen McGovern ( Brady Bunch).
Wait, were you referring to Maureen McCormick or George McGovern here? Both of which are pretty hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom