Jimmy B on LeBetard show today | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy B on LeBetard show today

I thought I remembered in the early 90s about JB being considered for the Wizards job but doing some searches I've only come up with him being offered an Ohio St job. I only bring this up because I wonder how great of a coach JB would be in the NBA and if he could effectively use a zone there. Can't wait to leave this noisy restaurant to listen to the interview.

I thought I remembered in the early 90s about JB being considered for the Wizards job but doing some searches I've only come up with him being offered an Ohio St job. I only bring this up because I wonder how great of a coach JB would be in the NBA and if he could effectively use a zone there. Can't wait to leave this noisy restaurant to listen to the interview.
Your memory is correct, the question is how serious each party was.

two3zone said:

It was the wizards and he was never leaving.

He did a pretty good job with the NBA players in the 2008 and 2o12 Olympics. I have heard from several third parties who said that various players had told them how much they enjoyed working with JB and what a great coach he was

LennX6 said:
Your memory is correct, the question is how serious each party was.

JAB sounds like he is extremely knowledgable about the NBA and follows it extensively and has been coaching in the Olympics, I am a little surprised he wouldn't go for a gig back in the early 90s. We defiantly weren't at the level we are at now and while we were a solid program I wouldn't call us elite. I would love to learn more about that whole situation. Maybe we'll read about it in his memoirs.

He did a pretty good job with the NBA players in the 2008 and 2o12 Olympics. I have heard from several third parties who said that various players had told them how much they enjoyed working with JB and what a great coach he was

I thought I remember PJ Carlesimo and a couple of JB's other peers saying that JB would have been a tremendous NBA coach because of his ability to relate to his players. I have no doubt he would be a good one.

How has the guy never sent an email? I'm assuming he's never seen this board. Igor, your secrets are safe with me.

I think at this point in his career, he would have a much greater chance of success. He has such a level of overall respect after the 2 Olympic Golds and the endorsements from the people he has worked with. That wasn't necessarily the case before he made his second Final Four in '96. That was when his whole public persona and perception began to change.

He probably would've been about as good as his best player like ya know, every other coach in the history of the league. So not great in Washington.

Great Listen. Thanks for posting. Love that Cal called him about the zone. I'm not sure how much we as a fan base grasp the respect he has among his peers as having "a feel" for the game. JB sees a weakness and goes after that match up better than anyone else in the country IMO. Ironic how in the 70's and 80's he had such a reputation for rolling out the balls and letting the players play. If you are in your 20's you really know nothing but Boeheim as a top notch well respected coach. Funny how 38 yrs, 900+ wins 4 FF and a NC changes things!

JB could team up with Melo and coach the Knicks with a few value added players on the roster and bring home that elusive Chip for Melo and one in the pro ranks to match his 3 NCAA Chips.

JAB sounds like he is extremely knowledgable about the NBA and follows it extensively and has been coaching in the Olympics, I am a little surprised he wouldn't go for a gig back in the early 90s. We defiantly weren't at the level we are at now and while we were a solid program I wouldn't call us elite. I would love to learn more about that whole situation. Maybe we'll read about it in his memoirs.

It shouldn't be a surprise. Just because a lot of guys consider the job they have, whatever that job is, to be the stepping stone to whatever comes next JB clearly doesn't. One thing JB has shown us over the years is that he is extremely happy and extremely content at Syracuse. He is an oddity in that not only has he coached at Syracuse for over 40 years, but he played there before that and he grew up in Central New York before that. He has spent nearly all of his 69 years living, studying and working in Central New York. It is one of the reasons that we had him at such a bargain for so long, and probably still do. He truly believes it when he says central New York is a great place to live.

He obviously isn't looking for the big payday (the ones he has had have been big enough for him) and he doesn't consider one championship, several final fours and 900+ wins to be the completion of his work at Cuse.

If you had what he has, why move on?

I'm not sure how much we as a fan base grasp the respect he has among his peers as having "a feel" for the game.
It is a lot more than just a "feel" for the game. JB is a basketball genius that sees and understands just about everything going on in a game, and he has a bball photographic memory. I suspect that those qualities are a major reason that K has him as an assistant on the Olympic team, not just for advice on the zone.

JB would be/ have been a great NBA coach. Obviously won't happen now but he has the right mental make up as he is such a grinder. Loves the game as well, love the story where he either texted or called few from gonzaga after some late night west coast game telling him great game and that he made the right call on some situation late in the game. few said it was like 2 am east coast time or close to it

We were huge back in the early 90s...we became big time after the Dome opened and the Big East got the hype in the early/mid 80s

TexanMark said:
We were huge back in the early 90s...we became big time after the Dome opened and the Big East got the hype in the early/mid 80s

We were never a year in year out top 5 program for a stretch like we've had. I'm including future years with our top 10 recruiting classes as well. We've always been a great program no doubt, but never at this level.

Is it his shtick ( radio guy) to call people by only their last name? Seemed disrespectful.

We were never a year in year out top 5 program for a stretch like we've had. I'm including future years with our top 10 recruiting classes as well. We've always been a great program no doubt, but never at this level.
We were pretty damn good from 85-91 IIRC...kinda fell off a few years due to probation and losing a few recruits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom