Jimmy Boeheim - Transfer Portal | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy Boeheim - Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see you come around and agree that last year’s bench just wasn’t very good.

And even though many of us believe that Griffin is the 4th guard, I’ll stipulate for the sake of debate that we only have 3 guards on the roster. What do you propose we do about that, given that it’s 12/24/2020? Can we find a non-combo point guard to join the team mid-season? Someone who is capable of immediately stepping in and playing 20 minutes per night? Or are you just going to post the same complaint over and over... on every thread, regardless of the topic... where does it end for you?

I think all of us would love more talent on the roster. The Isaiah Jackson kid (who chose Kentucky) would probably have been a better big in terms of making an immediate impact, but he decided to go elsewhere. And the Tape kid from Columbia probably would have slotted in at C when Sid went down. But he decided to ride the pine at Duke instead. What are you gonna do? Kids make choices... and we have who we have... you can keep complaining about the roster if you want (please don’t think that I am in any way trying to stifle debate), but to me it’s a little pointless to do so. Unless the point is to simply complain about Jim Boeheim.
Jim Boeheim himself said Griffin isn’t a guard.
Read SWC brilliant coaches show recap.

If we want to win a NC or be really good to contend for conference titles we need as much talent we can get. If just being above average is our expectations then I will shut up. I am acting like we are still an elite basketball school. Not Providence or Seton Hall.

If we aren’t a top college basketball program anymore then I will shut up and accept what we are.
If post sanctions we are just going to be what we are now then fine.
That is it in a nutshell. We can’t pretend we are better than we actually are.

If we want to win a NC or be really good to contend for conference titles we need as much talent we can get. If just being above average is our expectations then I will shut up. I am acting like we are still an elite basketball school. Not Providence or Seton Hall.

If we aren’t a top college basketball program anymore then I will shut up and accept what we are.

Personally, I think we’ve got a good team this year. It seems like some people are trying to talk this into being a bubble team, but I really don’t see it. We’re way better than we were last year.

Personally, I think we’ve got a good team this year. It seems like some people are trying to talk this into being a bubble team, but I really don’t see it. We’re way better than we were last year.
2019 team. Not a bubble team but an 8 seed.
That is what I see.
Which is fine. It’s just not better than it is.
Top 25 team at the end of the season? Not IMO but I am not Kaiser and omnipotent like he is.

I did see/read JB’s comments from the radio program Write up. I think that what he meant by that is that Griffin is going to primarily play the bottom of the zone (JB doesn’t want him to have to learn both sets of defensive responsibilities if he can help it), and that Kadary, Buddy and Joe are going to split the minutes at the top. But if one of those 3 guards gets injured (knock on wood) and depth becomes an issue, Griffin could easily shift to the top of the zone. So we have the depth, but it’s only going to be used as a sort of “break glass in case of emergency” situation, I believe.

That is what I see.
Top 25 team at the end of the season? Not IMO but I am not Kaiser and omnipotent like he is.

Are you willing to see how things turn out? We lost one game missing two important players to a final four contender where we led in the past 4 minutes. Badges on who we have on the roster and who’s coming in next year I think we are trending in the right direction.

That is what I see.

I think we’re way better than that team too. That team lost to Old Dominion, UConn, and got thumped by Oregon.

This team only has a road loss to Rutgers who is proving to be very good(similar to Buffalo that year probably), and we had a lead on their court with 5 minutes to go, while missing two starters.

I know we don’t have as many OOC games this year, but I think the play has been a lot better this year, even with all the challenges of missing a ton of practices, missing key players for games, etc.

Plus, we’ve already beaten BC by 40. We weren’t beating anyone by 40 in 2019, let alone an ACC team.

kadary >>>Howard
Guerrier >>>Brissett
Marek now >>> Marek then
Buddy now >>> Buddy then
Griffin > Junior Hughes
Girard <<<< Battle
Sidibe = Chukwu

If you go man for man, with Sidibe back - I don’t even think it’s close.

Are you willing to see how things turn out? We lost one game missing two important players to a final four contender where we led in the past 4 minutes. Badges on who we have on the roster and who’s coming in next year I think we are trending in the right direction.
I am wrong plenty and eat my Crowe when I am.
I just calling it how I see it.
The ACC is really down so I could see us finishing top 4.
I just don’t know how high a seed we will be in the tournament.

Duke is a bubble team this year.
I watched Illinois play Duke and Penn State and Penn State looked better.

North Carolina isn’t as good as many thought.

The ACC looks like it will be Virginia’s to lose and they lost to San Francisco.

If we make shots of course we can beat anyone and the play on the court is a lot more appealing to JB’s credit.

I want us to win. So I hope I am wrong. I just see other top 25 teams and compare it to us.

My point still stands on talent though . If we still think we are an elite national school and not Providence or Seton Hall.

I am wrong plenty and eat my Crowe when I am.
I just calling it how I see it.
The ACC is really down so I could see us finishing top 4.
I just don’t know how high a seed we will be in the tournament.

Duke is a bubble team this year.
I watched Illinois play Duke and Penn State and Penn State looked better.

North Carolina isn’t as good as many thought.

The ACC looks like it will be Virginia’s to lose and they lost to San Francisco.

We looked better than Virginia so far too.

The 2019 team would have lost to Buffalo and Bryant. That team was a huge disappointment.

We looked better than Virginia so far too.

We need to create another thread my last post on this.

This makes the ACC look even worse nationally then.

I don’t think UVA looked good against Kent State but if we are going to give Bryant, Northeastern, Buffalo credit then the same applies to Kent State.

Okay the bench hasn’t been good. I agree but the staff stocked up the bench this year and we still don’t have a 4th guard, and tons of projects on the bench.

Is it too much to have 2 PGs on the roster that aren’t combo guards?
An actual big who is ready to play with Sidibe out so we don’t have to play Marek out of position?

Our roster management has sucked.
Not sure if you are aware of this, since you keep saying we don’t have a fourth guard but FYI...

Alan Griffin can and already has played guard. He also played some guard at Illinois. JB saw mistakes were made with player evaluations and brought in a couple of far better players to address the situation.
my guess is while BC fits the profile many have laid out, the one thing its missing is...one of JBs friends as HC.

i dont know if Christian will make 2 years for Jimmy.

i would think he would like to play in the big tourney and if hes a 20 minute guy, then he likely will want to go somewhere where that would be guaranteed.

id be looking at schools like nova, baylor, gonzaga, dook...maybe michigan state or washington if they start to resemble a decent team again.
If/when BC does fire Christian, I would think Hop would be one of their top candidates. This time, the timing might be right.

Not sure if you are aware of this, since you keep saying we don’t have a fourth guard but FYI...

Alan Griffin can and already has played guard. He also played some guard at Illinois. JB saw mistakes were made with player evaluations and brought in a couple of far better players to address the situation.

If/when BC does fire Christian, I would think Hop would be one of their top candidates. This time, the timing might be right.
Hop at BC would certainly be a game changer.

i still can see him here, JB just tried to get Tate, he can probably get him on the court.

in close game, id rather jimmy shoot than girard, but we can worry about that later.

From SWC’s coaches show thread.
Exact quote from SWC

I asked if Alan Griffin might play some guard. “Alan has his hands full playing forward. There are more decisions to be made there. The defensive positions are different. It’s a more complex set of rotations and movements on offense. It’s very difficult to play both positions. He could in some situations but he’s better off playing forward.”

JB doesn’t consider AG a guard we don’t have a 4th guard. Griffin would play in emergency situations.

I

Exact quote from SWC

I asked if Alan Griffin might play some guard. “Alan has his hands full playing forward. There are more decisions to be made there. The defensive positions are different. It’s a more complex set of rotations and movements on offense. It’s very difficult to play both positions. He could in some situations but he’s better off playing forward.”

JB doesn’t consider AG a guard we don’t have a 4th guard. Griffin would play in emergency situations.

I
Exact quote from JB: "He could in some situations but he’s better off playing forward." Note that JB did not say "I don't consider AG a guard", nor did he say "we don't have a 4th guard on this roster".

Sounds to me (and to many others) like we have our 4th guard, if and when it becomes necessary. Until then, JB will mostly keep Griffin at the forward spot, defensively.

We had a 4th guard. He transferred.

I’m fine with this seasons team. We have enough talent to win 70-75% of our games if the state allows us to play. We are 6-1. Some of this is backup QB syndrome.

I remember when Gmac/Duany were the guards and people wanted more of Edelin and Pace...then it was Josh Wright...then it was Cooney...then it was Frank Howard...then Carey...guys always want to see the bench for whatever reason..

also you left out MCW

Exact quote from SWC

it’s so difficult that Buddy just did it

lol.

I mean, if we didn’t pay Pace and Billy, we wouldn’t have won, period.
We aren’t supposed to tell anyone that part.Oh well,there goes the banner.

Exact quote from JB: "He could in some situations but he’s better off playing forward." Note that JB did not say "I don't consider AG a guard", nor did he say "we don't have a 4th guard on this roster".

Sounds to me (and to many others) like we have our 4th guard, if and when it becomes necessary. Until then, JB will mostly keep Griffin at the forward spot, defensively.
What is the point here?
If Girard and Buddy struggle in a game I hope Griffin plays the SG. I don’t think he will in the second half of games if those 2 are struggling.

also you left out MCW
Yeah to be fair though MCW did get 10 MPG as a freshman 4th guard.
He played in 26 of 37 games as well.
So he was getting enough PT as a freshman.
74B04D53-A2DD-4DB9-902A-E5135BCA324A.jpeg

there were absolutely people asking for him to play more vs scoop or triche after his performance in that St Johns game
Well those people weren’t smart.
MCW was the 4th guard.

Depth allows for that season to happen in 2012.
2010 was a perfect 7 man rotation though.

If we have all conference talent it makes sense if you don’t go deep.
The talent on this team shouldn’t be that we only play 7.5.
The fact we do says the talent on the bench isn’t more than projects.

Well those people weren’t smart.
MCW was the 4th guard.

Depth allows for that season to happen in 2012.
2010 was a perfect 7 man rotation though.

If we have all conference talent it makes sense if you don’t go deep.
The talent on this team shouldn’t be that we only play 7.5.
The fact we do says the talent on the bench isn’t more than projects.

I think we’ve got a nice 8 when Sidibe comes back, and if things click and roles are established correctly (typically a JB strength, but it’s way tougher in this mess of a season), I think this is a near the top of the ACC, sweet 16 type team.

I don’t see this “lack of talent”...other than at center right now, but our senior starter is hurt.

there were absolutely people asking for him to play more vs scoop or triche after his performance in that St Johns game

I was one of them!

And it wasn't like - "bench Scoop or RoboTriche"
but more
"give MCW some damn minutes, and see if he's got it" at least 1x in every game.

He appeared in only 26 games, averaging ~10 mpg.
I believe there were 8 DNP-CD's to end the season.

He didn't score a ton, but had a 3+/1 assist/TO ratio, about 1 steal/game (in 10 minutes!), and shot decently from 2, 3, and FT's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom