Jimmy Boeheim - Transfer Portal | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy Boeheim - Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I am thinking might be Jimmy’s (The Younger) requirements:

Excellent academics
Good (but not too good) basketball. I am sure he wants to play and contribute
Good coaching staff. HC SB someone JB respects
Location close to Syracuse convenient for Juli (and sometimes Jim) to attend games
And it can’t be an Ivy League school

Army fits but...it’s Army. I don’t think you transfer there late and I don’t think Jimmy is the military type.

Hamilton is a decent fit but probably too much of a drop in level of basketball. Long shot.

SUNY Buffalo is a little too good. No playing time likely to be had there. No.

SUNY Binghamton. Maybe, but their basketball is not good. Would be easy for Jimmy to see some of his old teammates play in Ithaca. Decent possibility.

SUNY Albany. Maybe. Binghamton is closer and I think the basketball is a little better. Less likely than Bingo.

Niagara. Maybe. Paulus is a trusted friend of JB’s. The level of play is similar to Cornell; maybe a bit tougher. Not crazy far away. Academics aren’t at the same level as Cornell but they have to be pretty good.

St Bonaventure? No way a Boeheim ever goes there as long as JB is alive. Same goes for Georgetown while we are eliminating old rivals. The funny thing is, Jimmy could help the Hoyas, old friend Louis Orr is an assistant there and I think JB is friends now with Ewing. Still can’t see this ever happening.

Boston College. I think this is a long shot possibility. He could probably start there, the academics are very good, JB could see him play in person for at least 2 games, and it isn’t hard to get to (drive or fly). A bit of a long shot but maybe.

The only other ACC school I could see him at is Wake, mainly because it is a terrific school academically, pretty easy to get to and the skill level of the players currently on the roster is low enough Jimmy could probably play a lot.

If I had to hazard a guess though, I would guess Colgate. I know Colgate is a big rival of Cornell and that might be a problem, but the academics are again very good, the level of basketball is quite good, roughly equivalent to the Ivy League and it would be really convenient for the his parents to see a lot of his games. Even more so than Cornell.
Colgate does not seem to have an appropriate graduate program for Jimmy. It has no business degree programs ... and its Liberal Arts offerings are pretty slim. Its main graduate program seems to be a MA in Teacher Education:

Colgate is a private school in Hamilton, New York. It has a small graduate student body with an enrollment of 11 graduate students. The 9 graduate programs at Colgate University are all on-campus only and none are offered online. The most popular graduate school programs at Colgate University are English and Reading Teacher Education, English Language Studies, and Geology and Earth Science. 27% of its graduate students are part-time graduate students.

Columbia, Harvard and Penn would all be ideal. Unfortunately for this exercise, they are all Ivy League Schools. And the other regional schools with good graduate business programs do not play D-1 basketball (e.g., MIT, NYU).

Last edited:
I'm afraid that Boeheim will forget that he's a coach first, and their dad second.
This is not middle school. He already plays Buddy a little too much.
I can't imagine he will be able to hold off his temptation to play them both for too many minutes to be best for the team.
Or, he’ll play Jimmy less minutes as a means of showing Buddy is earning his time.

Every time he stepped on the court, someone would have to come off that is better than him. Benny Williams. QG, AG, Woody Newton, They are on the bench every time Jimmy steps on it. Do we want that? No. We don't.

Fully agree with your premise. But there is also a realistic scenario where one or both of QG and AG are not here (seems we typically lose guys we hope to keep an additional year). If so, it may be Jimmy/Bras well as the backup forwards. Not our dream scenario but in that case you could see it making sense to have Jimmy here.

Last edited:
jimmy wants business school, right?
university of washington has a top 25 b school & fits all of your criteria except close to home
Excellent academics Check
Good (but not too good) basketball. I am sure he wants to play and contribute Check
Good coaching staff. HC SB someone JB respects Check
Location close to Syracuse convenient for Juli (and sometimes Jim) to attend games Nope
And it can’t be an Ivy League school Check

and hop is in dire need of bodies next year
Gotta think Jimmy loves Hop. Had to see him all the time growing up. If he goes far away for college, this has to be the most likely destination, right?

Last edited:
Gotta like Jimmy loves Hop. Had to see him all the time growing up. If he goes far away for college, this has to be the most likely destination, right?
Good business school. Check.
image.jpg

Let's start with the point that Jimmy is a forward and would have to play the bottom of the zone.
If Bobby Braswell can't get time, and Woody has trouble getting 10 minutes, how do you think they will feel if Jimmy comes in here and starts playing 15-20 minutes a game?
I honestly don't get the paranoia about Jimmy's coming here and getting minutes.

If Braswell and Woody are better players, he won't see the court. If he gets 15-20 minutes it will be because he has earned it.

I find the nepotism takes to be moronic.

offensive efficiency is the number of points generated per 100 possessions.
the higher over 100 the better
jimmy had an efficiency of 100.0 last season and 98.1 the year before

our current crop of forwards and their efficiency:
quincy 140.6
marek 118.3
woody 112.1
griff 106.7

marek's & quincy's worst seasons were each better than jimmy's best

i don't think jb wants to see his son in a position where he doesn't have a great chance at success so, no, i don't think he'll end up at syracuse
Ok. Thanks. Now it is clear.

I think that, if Jimmy wanted to play for JB and JB thought he could play at a high D1 level, he would have come here originally.

The fact that he did not speaks volumes.

If he comes here now, I believe it is because he wants one season with JB and Buddy and that is more important to him than playing time.

Jimmy is an insurance policy in case their is significant exodus after the season. He could fill a gap if roster depletes and no time to restock

Ok. Thanks. Now it is clear.

I think that, if Jimmy wanted to play for JB and JB thought he could play at a high D1 level, he would have come here originally.

The fact that he did not speaks volumes.

If he comes here now, I believe it is because he wants one season with JB and Buddy and that is more important to him than playing time.

I think that's it in a nutshell. This is more than a basketball decision if you factor in the coach is his dad and his brother is on the team. It's probably fairly certain Jimmy Boeheim isn't getting drafted and perhaps the basketball reason to play one more year is to do it in a way that maximizes the intangible side of things. He has an Ivy League degree. To me playing for the Orange with his dad/bro is just the icing on the cake. Playing minutes would work itself out.

Not knowing the kid this is how I would look at the situation. I hope for all things good in sports he comes and we, as fans and alum, can have fun seeing Boeheim coach his kids during the twilight of his fantastic career at Syracuse. That to me is a cool thing.

I think that's it in a nutshell. This is more than a basketball decision if you factor in the coach is his dad and his brother is on the team. It's probably fairly certain Jimmy Boeheim isn't getting drafted and perhaps the basketball reason to play one more year is to do it in a way that maximizes the intangible side of things. He has an Ivy League degree. To me playing for the Orange with his dad/bro is just the icing on the cake. Playing minutes would work itself out.

Not knowing the kid this is how I would look at the situation. I hope for all things good in sports he comes and we, as fans and alum, can have fun seeing Boeheim coach his kids during the twilight of his fantastic career at Syracuse. That to me is a cool thing.
I agree. It would be very cool...

I honestly don't get the paranoia about Jimmy's coming here and getting minutes.

If Braswell and Woody are better players, he won't see the court. If he gets 15-20 minutes it will be because he has earned it.

I find the nepotism takes to be moronic.

Buddy played 34 minutes in a 1-12 night last time . He had many such nights last year (as did Girard) when Boeheim never went to the bench and we lost anyway. Three guards transferred away last offseason. Probably not a coincidence. You may think it's moronic, but others don't.

Buddy played 34 minutes in a 1-12 night last time . He had many such nights last year (as did Girard) when Boeheim never went to the bench and we lost anyway. Three guards transferred away last offseason. Probably not a coincidence. You may think it's moronic, but others don't.
The response is JB plays who he trusts.
But the counter to that how does one get trust if they don’t get the chance to earn it in a game.
This season practice can’t be used as well since players have missed practices.

Buddy is a good player but the idea that people can’t say he plays too much isn’t a valid critique because JB doesn’t trust anyone else.

The issue can’t be debated sadly.

But the counter to that how does one get trust if they don’t get the chance to earn it in a game.

Buddy is a good player but the idea that people can’t say he plays too much isn’t a valid critique because JB doesn’t trust anyone else.

The issue can be debated. Don't be like that. Others just may have a different opinion. That's how the board works.
I happen to agree with you that I wouldn't mind if his minutes went down a bit when he wasn't on fire.

Jimmy will have two more years if he wants them, won't he? He will have his sr year and this gift year from the pandemic. In any case, it is not a knock against Jimmy to want to see him go someplace else. He is a good player. We just have better options and I believe it would be best for all concerned if he went somewhere else. Is there any doubt that he could go to a place like B.C., get a grad degree there, and help the program for two years. Plus, play 4 games against the Orange.

James has game, I don't think anyone issuing opinions here has watched him. He looked like a D-3 player out of high school, but he not that anymore. He can play and compete and succeed at the D-1 level.

Whether or not Buddy plays too much is an idea that can be debated, and one that probably gets debated too much on these boards.

In fact, there’s been a lot of debate recently (as there was last year) about whether or not the guys that weren’t playing last year are any good. The underwhelming performances so far this year for both Jalen and Brycen - combined with the larger roles that Kadary and Woody are playing for SU this year - have a lot of people convinced that JB didn’t go very deep last year because he simply didn’t think that Brycen and HoWash were good enough to help him win. (Purposely not saying Jalen’s name since he was technically out for injury reasons after the 2nd game last year.)

Here’s an interesting nugget for debate: Which coach gave/is giving Brycen a better shot to grow and develop as a player? The coach who played Brycen an average of 11 minutes per game in the first 9 games of the 2019-20 season (with 0 DNPs)? Or the coach who has played Brycen just under 6 minutes per game so far this year (with 3 DNPs)? Debate away!

Whether or not Buddy plays too much is an idea that can be debated, and one that probably gets debated too much on these boards.

In fact, there’s been a lot of debate recently (as there was last year) about whether or not the guys that weren’t playing last year are any good. The underwhelming performances so far this year for both Jalen and Brycen - combined with the larger roles that Kadary and Woody are playing for SU this year - have a lot of people convinced that JB didn’t go very deep last year because he simply didn’t think that Brycen and HoWash were good enough to help him win. (Purposely not saying Jalen’s name since he was technically out for injury reasons after the 2nd game last year.)

Here’s an interesting nugget for debate: Which coach gave/is giving Brycen a better shot to grow and develop as a player? The coach who played Brycen an average of 11 minutes per game in the first 9 games of the 2019-20 season (with 0 DNPs)? Or the coach who has played Brycen just under 6 minutes per game so far this year (with 3 DNPs)? Debate away!
Oh so you want to go there.
Okay.
Jalen Carey is averaging 8 PPG 3 RPG.
So because a guy who transferred in Brycen Goodine during a pandemic offseason where teams didn’t get much done and the incumbent coach he transferred to didn’t immediately play a lot of minutes validates the fact he couldn’t have played a little more here last year?

That take isn’t exactly proving anything.
If you want to say the decision to sit him was smart then the decision to even recruit him to Syracuse was stupid and we should have gotten another recruit.

How about we have actually have 4 guards who can play on the roster.
Instead of always being short quality bodies unlike most teams in the nation and that is after sanctions.

Okay.
So because a guy who transferred in Brycen Goodine during a pandemic offseason where teams didn’t get much done and the incumbent coach he transferred to didn’t immediately play a lot of minutes validates the fact he couldn’t have played a little more here last year?

If you want to say the decision to sit him was smart then the decision to even recruit him to Syracuse was stupid and we should have gotten another recruit.

Instead of always being short quality bodies unlike most teams in the nation and that is after sanctions.
See! We’re debating!!!

Okay.

Has Jalen hit a 3 yet? Last I saw he was averaging like 0.3 assists vs. like 3 turnovers.

Can’t play PG and can’t shoot. He could’ve probably given us 5-10 mpg as the backup 2, if he was healthy. Basically a little more than what Goodine gave us - solid D, but with the occasional transition layup to go with it?

I don’t think he would’ve had an ounce of impact on our W/L record.

you make some good points...but saying that Woody has a “larger role”. I just don’t see it. Once Buddy came back, he had a Goodineesque token appearance

Has Jalen hit a 3 yet? Last I saw he was averaging like 0.3 assists vs. like 3 turnovers.

Can’t play PG and can’t shoot. He could’ve probably given us 5-10 mpg as the backup 2, if he was healthy. Basically a little more than what Goodine gave us - solid D, but with the occasional transition layup to go with it?

I don’t think he would’ve had an ounce of impact on our W/L record.
Jalen gets 22 MPG at URI off the bench this year.
I doubt he would get even 12 MPG if he were coming off the bench here.
He can’t shoot okay but he can get to the rim and score other ways.

We made him a PG out of necessity why couldn’t he be a backup SG and knock Buddy from 35 to 25 MPG.
I really don’t want to have this debate in this thread out of respect for Jimmy Boeheim that kid’s thread doesn’t need this stuff.
I will have this debate in another thread but want to respect Jimmy.

Jalen gets 22 MPG at URI off the bench this year.
I doubt he would get even 12 MPG if he were coming off the bench here.
He can’t shoot okay but he can get to the rim and score other ways.

We made him a PG out of necessity why couldn’t he be a backup SG and knock Buddy from 35 to 25 MPG.
I really don’t want to have this debate in this thread out of respect for Jimmy Boeheim that kid’s thread doesn’t need this stuff.
I will have this debate in another thread but want to respect Jimmy.

22 minutes at Rhode Island but less than 12 at Cuse...honestly that sounds like the way it should be. He’s not even a starter at RI. He’s not that good. But he gets some time there. Nobody wants to be the 4th guard anymore, and I don’t really blame them. It only matters if someone gets hurt.

22 minutes at Rhode Island but less than 12 at Cuse...honestly that sounds like the way it should be. He’s not even a starter at RI. He’s not that good. But he gets some time there. Nobody wants to be the 4th guard anymore, and I don’t really blame them. It only matters if someone gets hurt.
Nobody wants to be the 4th guard?
Unless you have NBA talent you should have 4 quality guards on your roster.

Xavier and Creighton today both top 25 teams had 9 players play atleast 10 minutes each.

We are fine with our current guard rotation. Newton/Griffin are basically the fourth guard. Guys want to play. We weren’t going to be able to keep Carey and sell him on playing 5mpg. Howard Washington didn’t even want to do that and he grew up a Syracuse fan.

Nobody wants to be the 4th guard?
Unless you have NBA talent you should have 4 quality guards on your roster.

Xavier and Creighton today both top 25 teams had 9 players play atleast 10 minutes each.

I respect them, but I have never strived to be like Creighton or Xavier.

Hate to give props to a rival, but Jay Wright is one of the best coaches out there, no?

Checkout that PT distribution last year.

2019-20 Villanova Wildcats Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Every team is different. What was right for our 2010 team was different than what was right for our 2012 team.

Our bench sucked last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors