Jimmy & Hop | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy & Hop

Flacusian

All Conference
148780552-jpg_211407.jpg
Nice picture of Jimmy & Hop watching/ coaching Olympic BB team.

Based on the tenor of many posters comments on this and the precursor boards over the past 5 or so years, I think that many people underestimate how great a coach Hop is going to be when he takes over the reins. In addition to having been a student of the game and the zone he brings a level of enthusiasm which is formidable. Certainly things will be different than under Jimmy's tenure but I feel that Hop will continue the tradition of winning at Syracuse and will be well poised to even elevate Syracuse Basketball to even greater success.

Based on the tenor of many posters comments on this and the precursor boards over the past 5 or so years, I think that many people underestimate how great a coach Hop is going to be when he takes over the reins. In addition to having been a student of the game and the zone he brings a level of enthusiasm which is formidable. Certainly things will be different than under Jimmy's tenure but I feel that Hop will continue the tradition of winning at Syracuse and will be well poised to even elevate Syracuse Basketball to even greater success.

There're too many intangibles that go into being a successful coach.

Will Hopkins be as prepared as he can be, and as he needs to be? Of course. Beyond that, it's a crapshoot.

How can you underestimate something that hasn't happened yet?

How can you underestimate something that hasn't happened yet?
The same way you can underestimate the opponent that's kicking your butt when you thought you were going to beat them easily.

With all of those coaches is there any room for players on that bench?

There're too many intangibles that go into being a successful coach.

Will Hopkins be as prepared as he can be, and as he needs to be? Of course. Beyond that, it's a crapshoot.

The change in the basketball program's stature from the 06-08 era is pretty huge. He's going to be walking into an amazing situation with the best facilities and one of the biggest fan bases in the country. If he can't succeed then it is all on him.

I just hope JB can win an ACC tournament title and get another Final Four run, which I think lines up nicely with our 2014 season if all the pieces stay together that long.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

The change in the basketball program's stature from the 06-08 era is pretty huge. He's going to be walking into an amazing situation with the best facilities and one of the biggest fan bases in the country. If he can't succeed then it is all on him.

I just hope JB can win an ACC tournament title and get another Final Four run, which I think lines up nicely with our 2014 season if all the pieces stay together that long.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

A lot of that is true; things are teed up really nicely for Mike (and I think he's got an ideal blend of independent streak and Boeheim knowledge to go along with that).

Still, while I agree that 2006 through 2008 or 2009 has set things up nicely, it's also a good example of how things can get difficult. In 2003, Boeheim was at the top of the world. In 2006, he was the same coach, but the program was really scuffling. He won a national championship, made the same coaching decisions, ran the same practices, and got (mostly) all the recruits he wanted. And yet things didn't go well.

It's real difficult to be a great coach (which, despite my misgivings about some of Boeheim's tactics, he is). Too much is dependent on how 17-year-olds develop, how schedules fall (that Monday-Saturday-Monday against top-five teams in January of 2006 really put the season into the toilet), whose ACL spontaneously disintegrates one night, and, one day in March, which college kid has a head cold or is having girlfriend troubles. To say nothing of the caprice of college officiating.

So Mike's being given every tangible opportunity to succeed; the bar is set high, though, and the natives will be very impatient with anything below a.) .750 basketball, b.) contending in the ACC annually, and c.) competing on the second weekend of the tournament. It'll be difficult. We're fotunate that he's been prepared as he has, though.

Still, while I agree that 2006 through 2008 or 2009 has set things up nicely, it's also a good example of how things can get difficult. In 2003, Boeheim was at the top of the world. In 2006, he was the same coach, but the program was really scuffling. He won a national championship, made the same coaching decisions, ran the same practices, and got (mostly) all the recruits he wanted. And yet things didn't go well.

I agree with just about every your said, except I think 2003 was a wonderful spike in an otherwise mediocre era, at least by the standards of the 80s and 90s and the last four seasons. Something great has happened to our recruiting since the dynasty class. I think JB has always been a great coach, he just has much better players now than he did for most of the 90s and 00s (with 03-05 being an exception with Carmelo and Hakim, and Gerry to a lesser extent).

I agree with just about every your said, except I think 2003 was a wonderful spike in an otherwise mediocre era, at least by the standards of the 80s and 90s and the last four seasons. Something great has happened to our recruiting since the dynasty class. I think JB has always been a great coach, he just has much better players now than he did for most of the 90s and 00s (with 03-05 being an exception with Carmelo and Hakim, and Gerry to a lesser extent).

Yeah, there's something to that. 2003 was kind of the exception to the rule during almost a decade.

Yeah, there's something to that. 2003 was kind of the exception to the rule during almost a decade.

It was a LONG decade. The 2000 team had a very solid year [after a fairly lackluster preceding year], but that was mostly due to the efforts of a group of four year players taking their game up a notch [as opposed to having any transcendent talents on the roster]. 2001 was a fun year, as not much was expected and Griffin / Damone rose to the occasion.

But then things got off track a bit. That 2002 team was one of my least favorite SU teams to watch. I still cringe thinking about the dissension on that squad...

In a way, the stars seemed to align in 2003. We had a solid nucleus returning from the previous year [Hak, Forth, Duany, Pace]. We added two impact guards [GMac, Edelin], and the linchpin of the class ended up exceeding his initial recruiting rankings and turning into the best player in the country.

Then, things went off the rails. We had a great recruiting class following the 2003 NC, but several of the players didn't develop as expected. We had several teams in a row that had fatal flaws--notably, lack of outside shooting--that limited their potential. We got nothing from the [in]famous Wright Brothers class. Paul Harris, while solid, never quite lived up to the expectations, and the class of 2008 came in and acted like a bunch of knuckleheads at the same time Andy / Devo's knee ligaments snapped, thereby taking away any veteran backcourt leadership to show the youngsters the way.

BUT, on a positive note, sometimes the hottest fire forges the strongest steel. And we saw last year how a guy like Scoop--perhaps the least heralded member of that class of 2008, turned the negative experiences of that first year into a positive by learning from it, demonstrating leadership, and showing the newcomers the ropes so that they didn't flounder on a team with a leadership void like what he came into when he entered the program.

That's the biggest and most important change, IMO--that the culture of the program has shifted. This is now a program that has been ranked #1 in two out of the last three years. We're bringing in solid kids who EXPECT the program to be elite, and they're willing to put in the work and sacrifice individual numbers to make that happen. Great time to be an SU fan!

And the future has never been brighter.

That's the biggest and most important change, IMO--that the culture of the program has shifted. This is now a program that has been ranked #1 in two out of the last three years. We're bringing in solid kids who EXPECT the program to be elite, and they're willing to put in the work and sacrifice individual numbers to make that happen. Great time to be an SU fan!

And the future has never been brighter.

Not saying you are...just adding to thread back in the direction it was sort of going.

The above is in a big way attributable to Hop. He has been a fantastic recruiter.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom