Jimmy | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear we may add a 6’9” forward who is averaging 15 ppg shooting nearly 50% from the field and 40% from 3 who grabs 6 boards a game. Sounds pretty good, right?
Not if he is 24 years old.

They are all part of the problem. Not THE problem, but when combined, there is literally no recipe for success.

We can't win enough with this roster because of how unathletic, weak and poor they are defensively. Add in the lack of any kind of offensive penetration and playmaking, and there is just not nearly enough ability to be any kind of threat.

It's kind of an interesting combo of what we haven't liked about player recruitment over the past few years. At some point we felt that we were getting too many athletes without enough basketball skills. And now we aren't athletic enough.

We currently have a mix but the mix is working in the worst possible way.
You have Cole, Jimmy, and Buddy who are clearly skilled but lack athleticism and it is killing us.

On the other hand you have Benny, Frank, JBA who have great athleticism but not a single ounce of basketball skill. They are even worse in terms of effectiveness than the other group.

The only guy that has both seems to be Jesse and he's doing great!

I think this is what people are concerned about. JB’s ideal roster is 11. If everyone but Sid comes back next year we will have 14. Sounds like JB is planning for attrition.

AFEB520E-C6A4-4891-A121-B82FC731CBDB.jpeg

Wg
It's kind of an interesting combo of what we haven't liked about player recruitment over the past few years. At some point we felt that we were getting too many athletes without enough basketball skills. And now we aren't athletic enough.

We currently have a mix but the mix is working in the worst possible way.
You have Cole, Jimmy, and Buddy who are clearly skilled but lack athleticism and it is killing us.

On the other hand you have Benny, Frank, JBA who have great athleticism but not a single ounce of basketball skill. They are even worse in terms of effectiveness than the other group.

The only guy that has both seems to be Jesse and he's doing great!
What about Joe

I think this is what people are concerned about. JB’s ideal roster is 11. If everyone but Sid comes back next year we will have 14. Sounds like JB is planning for attrition.

View attachment 212736
In terms of numbers. So that's where we're at.

Wg

What about Joe

He is a mix. Some good skills: shooting. Some lack of skills: ball handling/passing. Lack of atheticism is clear. I do think his skills are probably ok enough to be a 2G but for a PG its just not enough.

He is a mix. Some good skills: shooting. Some lack of skills: ball handling/passing. Lack of atheticism is clear. I do think his skills are probably ok enough to be a 2G but for a PG its just not enough.

Agreed. Joe has come close to actualizing his full potential this year, IMO. He's showing much improved shot selection, he's shooting much more efficiently, and he's a decent playmaker who would benefit from playing off the ball.

Because he isn't a primary ballhandler, he's a defensive liability, and he's small for the zone.

Kudos to JGIII for making all of these off-season improvements, because it's made him a much more effective college player. But there are some things [lack of height, limited athleticism] that can't be changed just by being a gym rat.

Sanctions really did a number on this program.

Agreed. And then we never bounced back vis a vis recruiting.

We almost did, with Dior, Lands, Westry, JJ, Filipowski, and Clingan in the class of 2022, but we went o-fer across the board.

And while I like the five players we landed, none of them is a premier talent. Maybe Copeland will prove to be one when the dust settles. Or Taylor proves to eventually be a top flight scorer. Or Brown becomes a stud power forward. But none of those things is certain.

Boehiem is gonna leave the basketball program as he found it in 70's.... if it comes to fruition that the seniors return it will take years for whoever Boehiem's replacement is to restore the program...

View attachment 212736
The fact that he is mentioning specific players by name that could leave is concerning

Keep that in house, its like hes already telegraphing the departures. Its your job to retain them. He says "who knows" well your the head coach, its your job to know and fix.

The fact that he is mentioning specific players by name that could leave is concerning

Keep that in house, its like hes already telegraphing the departures. Its your job to retain them. He says "who knows" well your the head coach, its your job to know and fix.

As others have said, he doesn't want to deal with roster headaches anymore so the attitude is eph it. He can say that the game has changed and it's not like the old days and he'd be right but that means you've got to adjust with the times. If you don't, that's coaching malpractice.

You know that scene in the office where Stanley is yelling at Michael? "Every day you do something stupider than the day before!! And I think there is no possible way you can top that! But what do you do? You find a way to top that!!"

Yep if 11 is his ideal, no one can ever say that sanctions and scholarship limits are why we've struggled.
I believe it was more because of Hopkins leaving. Hop built the rosters. The program was limited with how many coaches could be on the road recruiting due to sanctions but even when that ended the staff havent filled his shoes and they have been playing catch up. Along with that 11 player target, SU does not offer nearly as many players as other programs by comparison which then limits how much talent you can get for OVs and sign. For example SU may only offer 10-20 guys a cycle, compared with Beard, Oates, Will Wade, they will offer 35-45. Which formula do you think will get more talented players?

Not much different than posters on this board saying stuff with no clue - based on a single comment by JB.
We’ve had posters on this board say that comments on this board are listened to by recruits and parents.

You thing think this “single comment” isn’t heard by possible recruits and possible players in the portal?

That’s why it matters. Even if it doesn’t happen

Boehiem is gonna leave the basketball program as he found it in 70's... if it comes to fruition that the seniors return it will take years for whoever Boehiem's replacement is to restore the program...
Didn't we go to the Final Four a few years before JB took over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom