Jimmy | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do concede this board has become hard to read if you want optimism.
The problem is the program is a unique situation where the HC could be year to year.
Frustration is high because the future is unknown and present is frustrating.

Message boards have little to zero affect on recruiting. Again if you want to say they are on current parents go ahead. Just I like avoiding watching Fox, CNN and MSNNC for my sanity avoid the site if you are a current parent.

Yes because this board has the power to affect recruiting.
Agreed, I’m tired of this take that the board is effecting recruiting, have people here seen other boards and how toxic they are, makes this place look good. I want to add keeping these opinions to the board is one thing, people who start writing comments to players over social media is not ok.

JB has done a fine enough job making it easy to recruit against him in the last 5+ years, he didn’t need any help from this board.

Yep...thought the same thing. Imagine my boss telling the public, referring to me "Maybe he will leave, who knows?" I think I might get the message...
Do you think the public would take any interest in whether or not you were leaving? Not the same situation.

Agreed, I’m tired of this take that the board is effecting recruiting, have people here seen other boards and how toxic they are, makes this place look good. I want to add keeping these opinions to the board is one thing, people who start writing comments to players over social media is not ok.

JB has done a fine enough job making it easy to recruit against him in the last 5+ years, he didn’t need any help from this board.

For some levity of the situation going back to the joke from last year we can’t “run it back” because Joe gets winded after one flight of stairs?

Yep if 11 is his ideal, no one can ever say that sanctions and scholarship limits are why we've struggled.

Oh, make no mistake, it can be said. And, it most certainly was at the time (still somewhat) by the usual suspects. They're the same folks who chose to look at our status as "all good" when being double digit seeds and getting to a Final Four and Sweet 16. Like 2 wins in March (S16) trumps 3 months of winter hoops where we haven't played a conference game come January ranked since 2014.

Alsacs was spot on at the time of how sanctions weren't the proximate cause of our woes while declining, but merely a contributing factor. Rather huge misses on the recruiting trail and poor roster management being the crux. Moreover, pointing out that year to year JB has/had never exhausted the full allotment of schollies anyways. The sanctions topic was, putting it mildly, thoroughly discussed and debated here.

FWIW, Jay Bilas at the time shared a similar sentiment relative to these sanctions not having that significant of an impact as JB typically plays a very short/limited bench. Although, he did say/believe how the punishment didn't fit the crime so to speak. He pointing out and emphasized that the key will be making sure JB and co. don't miss out on their primary targets. Which, as things played out, wasn't the case, as we swung an missed often, as well as the guys we landed not panning out/being up to snuff.

In the end, people will always simply choose to believe what they want to believe.

Last edited:
This isn’t a rebuild it’s the coach building the roster he wants rather than the best one possible. Next year would be the start of a rebuild if we rolled with Jesse, Joe, Benny, the five freshman, and a stud transfer or two. That would be a solid roster but one that is clearly building towards the future.

But it seems like we’re going to get two half-assed rosters that are “built to win now” instead. I hope I’m wrong.

"Athletes enduring the pandemic at an Ivy League school deserve the same accommodation as all others" might be the most elitist thing ever written.

Why is that elitist? He’s simply asking for them to get access to the same accommodation. The only reason the term Ivy League was used is because that particular league cancelled a season when other leagues did not.

I contend with the rebuild part. I will be shocked if the HC is not Hopkins, Red or Gerry. I suspect one of those 3 are the HC of Syracuse in 2023-24 season and they'll build on the infrastructure that is in place. This isn't a tear down. They need to freshen things up but any new HC will bring in someone from the outside. Maybe we get another Weaver when things shake up. I would think if Red or Gerry get the job the other may be leaving as well to pursue another gig elsewhere. Hopkins as HC probably allows one of those guys to stick around as a lead assistant HC.
Why in the world would we bring Hopkins back. During the short time he covered for JB it was a fail. He took over at Washington did good the first couple years and now a downward spiral. Hard pass. Both red and GMac have zero head coaching experience. Their recruiting has not been exceptional.
We need to go out and get a proven winner. I know the idea of promoting from within is JBs desire but I hope that ship has sailed.
I want a proven winner and recruiter.

I do not plan to leave Syracusefan.com and want to eliminate any discussion about entering the transfer portal.

No need to have the discussion. I picked this fanboard for a reason and I’m trusting the process and everything’s going to take care of itself.

Why is that elitist? He’s simply asking for them to get access to the same accommodation. The only reason the term Ivy League was used is because that particular league cancelled a season when other leagues did not.
Not sure why the Ivy League players should get two years because of covid. Yes the ivy canceled and others played but the reason for the rule was to not take a year away from the player.

Huh? He has the lowest turnover rate on the team and on a per 40 minute basis the only one with fewer turnovers is Frank.
His YMCA game is great. He hustles. He is a black hole on offense and stops ball movement, although he has had a few nice passes recently. His defense in the zone is bad, not because he does not try but because he is limited athletically. The first one to know that was his coach who said he wasn’t a high level D1 player. The same coach who said III playing center in the zone was horrible. Of course that is the same coach who left III to play center when they needed one stop against WF. I like III, but not the coaching

On the same team playing next season? I don't understand the question. This team is mediocre because the defense isn't capable of stopping anyone. If JB doesn't coach, would the next coach have them play M2M? That defense with these players wouldn't be capable of stopping anyone either.

Need a new coach and new players or at least a re-balanced roster. Seven years of mediocre teams with an occasional Cinderella run is for schools in the A-10 or CUSA.
A new coach may not go with the same starting 5 thus not giving Jimmy and Cole 35m per game. Maybe get a decent pg from the portal which most say is the 2nd biggest problem. So a staring 5 of "new pg", Buddy, Benny, Cole/Jimmy and Jessie. With JG getting 20-25 minutes spelling pg and Buddy. Play 8 to 10 guys, and man. Does that make things a bit better?

Next coach gets a grace period.
It’s going to be rebuild. The next HC needs to recruit well and give the fanbase energy.
Don't disagree. See above changes, IMHO moves in that direction

Why in the world would we bring Hopkins back. During the short time he covered for JB it was a fail. He took over at Washington did good the first couple years and now a downward spiral. Hard pass. Both red and GMac have zero head coaching experience. Their recruiting has not been exceptional.
We need to go out and get a proven winner. I know the idea of promoting from within is JBs desire but I hope that ship has sailed.
I want a proven winner and recruiter.

Like Jon Scheyer and Hubert Davis? The model is set.

Whether you like it or not, it's going to be one of those 3 guys. I will be blown away if they go outside the family. Whether it works, who knows. It all may be an elaborate plan for either Buddy or Jimmy to take over the family business some day too. I would assume one of those guys has coaching aspirations.

Whether you like it or not, it's going to be one of those 3 guys. I will be blown away if they go outside the family. Whether it works, who knows. It all may be an elaborate plan for either Buddy or Jimmy to take over the family business some day too. I would assume one of those guys has coaching aspirations.
Mother of god

I'm not one for calling for a locked thread, but man we're getting brutally off the mark.

You've done it now.
work out cats GIF

Thread lock in 5, 4, 3...
It was clearly stated as a joke.
Joe has been solid this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824