JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

Amazing news. So the story behind the story is Boeheim was holding us back for these types of recruits/portal guys?

I'm trying to decipher how in less than a week we're suddenly cooking again with 5 stars. I guess his "last few days were better than the past 47" was something...

There’s a reasonable chance Starling would have come back to Cuse without the coaching change here, but this is definitely the right first step for Autry! Excited!

Starling says he will play 'point guard and shooting guard'. Reading between the lines, but Judah coming back confirmed? If Judah was gone he would've been told he was playing PG 100%
Or...the staff is being completely upfront with him by telling him he could be needed at both spots because the situation with Judah and Joe is still being worked out. Regardless, JJ is combo guard and a great start to the off season.

9423D3D9-80E9-4D0D-8AC1-CB82D34184BE.gif

We're all full until someone transfers out, Judah turns pro or one of the seniors declines to take an extra year. 13 schollys: Judah, Joe, JJ, Jesse, Carey, Hima, Patterson, Brown, Copeland, Sy, Taylor, Bell, Benny.
He said it was trending towards Joe leaving and the rumor is Sy is out too.

Not raining on the parade, just suggesting that we give promising future sophomores here the same long leash (bell). If a five star game came here and had that freshman season, we might be wondering about him more than we are.
He averaged 11, not 5. Not 1.5(like Benny). 11.

Disappointing for him, but let’s put it in context.

I know Mintz and Starling are friendly with each other and talk on occasion. I have no idea what Mintz is gonna do. But I’m certain they have definitely talked about teaming up in the backcourt and what they can do. These fellas know they would be a dynamic backcourt so wouldn’t be surprising to me if Mintz wanted to run it back one more year just for that and make a run in March.

He averaged 11, not 5. Not 1.5(like Benny). 11.

Disappointing for him, but let’s put it in context.
And Notre Dame was one of the slowest teams this year due to being so thin on the bench. Get JJ in a normal system and he's probably closer to 14PPG.

He wasn’t going to stay at Notre Dame. It would stand to reason that he’d go to a school that was in his top 2 or 3 when he came out of high school.

I understand your logic -- makes perfect sense.

But Starling didn't connect with Boeheim during the recruiting process, but had a much different rapport with Red -- who he's known for years in the community, playing on various teams over the years for and against Red's son. Much different relationship there.

But regardless, glad he's ours. Sucked to lose a 5-star from our backyard last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom