Joe’s defense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Joe’s defense

Point guard Joe on offense bothers me, offensive off the ball Joe is an asset. Defensive Joe is beyond awful. Unfortunately I don’t see a lot of off the ball Joe in our future.
As long as Jim is the coach he will continue to play Joe regardless of how he plays. He loves Joe and he is so stubborn that i honestly believe he wont allow another player the chance to do well enough to not play Joe. Because of that the only hope that we have for the next two years is that Joe is allowed to play the 2 and does well. He isnt going to transfer and Jim is not going to ever sit him.

D is bothersome but what also really grinds my gears is his apparent clear hatred for fast breaks and pushing the ball. Even with numbers the kid pulls it once across half court and settles. Sy looks to push it, loves fast breaks and will run it if they beat the D down the floor.

It’s to the point where I’m ready to swap his and Symir’s minutes. I know Symir’s issues shooting, but outside of that he makes the offense flow and his defense is head above shoulders over the other two guys. I’m done with Joe starting.

Joe’s defense is better than buddys and cole’s. That says something about how bad our defense is.

Joe was also really good in the first half. Not good in second.

Joe’s defense is better than buddys and cole’s. That says something about how bad our defense is.

Joe was also really good in the first half. Not good in second.
I’m not sure. I skipped around a bit and this is 5 instances of Joe literally playing zero defense at all and giving up a three. None of this includes him getting burned by or not moving around being active. This is unacceptable and one of the worst defensive efforts I’ve ever seen by an individual player. I don’t know how much more proof or evidence I can post to prove it. Just check out those 5 plays, I mapped it out so it’s easy to find.

0:58
4:40
6:00
7:24
7:36

Joe is very lucky to have Jim as his biggest fan.
Every single one of them he’s within 6 feet of the guy getting the ball or has the ball and he does nothing about it, if I recall he didn’t jump except on one, and put his arms up two other times. He has zero interest in playing defense.

It’s to the point where I’m ready to swap his and Symir’s minutes. I know Symir’s issues shooting, but outside of that he makes the offense flow and his defense is head above shoulders over the other two guys. I’m done with Joe starting.

Before this game, Jimmy and Buddy had the worst two DBPMs on the team.

Joe’s wasn’t close to good, but the Boeheims had him beat.

374FFA49-1D4C-495D-B8A5-63102C03BB4B.jpeg

Before this game, Jimmy and Buddy had the worst two DBPMs on the team.

Joe’s wasn’t close to good, but the Boeheims had him beat.
I think OrangeDW said this. Our team has a bunch of DHs.
We have guys who can hit but can’t play the field.
We have David Ortiz playing LF. Edgar Martinez playing SS, Jason Giambi playing 2b.

We have too many DH type players playing defenss and don’t sub to protect them.

I get that Joe can shoot, but he doesn't score nearly enough to get away with playing no defense. Devo didn't play great defense but he could take games over and played with such an intense fire that it ALMOST didn't matter. But JG3 makes Devo look like Scottie Pippen on D.

I get that Joe can shoot, but he doesn't score nearly enough to get away with playing no defense. Devo didn't play great defense but he could take games over and played with such an intense fire that it ALMOST didn't matter. But JG3 makes Devo look like Scottie Pippen on D.
JB also had different expectations back then

He’s so disinterested in playing defense it’s alarming. When I saw him in high school it was embarrassing how he was allowed to guard NO ONE.
I totally agree and posted something very similar awhile back. Nothing has changed from those HS days. Defense was for his teammates to worry about.

D is bothersome but what also really grinds my gears is his apparent clear hatred for fast breaks and pushing the ball. Even with numbers the kid pulls it once across half court and settles. Sy looks to push it, loves fast breaks and will run it if they beat the D down the floor.
We are getting destroyed by fast break points this year. We don’t get many for the reason you stated and we give up a bunch.

Jim has always played favorites but usually it was deserved. Guys that played their hearts out. Hustled and played balls to the wall night in night out. Joe is a shooter. Period end of story. An undersized player who has a gift in that he is deadly from about any place after half court.
In the first half until about the last 3 minutes he played great. He was on his game but than he folded. With Joe there is a pattern. Good plays multiply and unfortunately so do bad plays. When hes off he seems to disengage.
If you watch his game closely it's apparent that he is a shooter and shooters want to shoot.
It's what he is. Its his gift. Not being the primary ball handler. Not distributing and certainly not playing lights out on D.
He's an F... shooter.
A natural 2.
Problem is thats Jims kids position and Jims kid is a dam good 2 and half a foot taller.
The solution is Joe shouldn't be starting or Jimmy shouldn't be starting.
I would replace Joe with Symir. Bring Joe off the bench for Buddy and Symir depending on the opponent and game situation.
Id also let Buddy sub for Jimmy or Cole again based on the opponent and game situation.
If however i could only make 1 change it would be to play Symir more and Joe less.

I’m not sure. I skipped around a bit and this is 5 instances of Joe literally playing zero defense at all and giving up a three. None of this includes him getting burned by or not moving around being active. This is unacceptable and one of the worst defensive efforts I’ve ever seen by an individual player. I don’t know how much more proof or evidence I can post to prove it. Just check out those 5 plays, I mapped it out so it’s easy to find.

0:58
4:40
6:00
7:24
7:36
He's so damn short he automatically believes he can't really effect the shot, so he just seems so disinterested in trying to defend any of them past the 3 point line.

What really sucks is watching all 5 of those instances you note. He actually tries to defend the 1st shot at the :40 second mark. But the guy made it, so I guess he just thought at that point, F it, it doesn't matter if I try. At least 3 of the other 4 shots you mention his arms aren't even above his belly.

Joe could go 0 for his next 500
Turn the ball over 20 times a game
Sit on the floor on D
And he’s starting every game through 2023 barring injury or ineligibility

Joe could go 0 for his next 500
Turn the ball over 20 times a game
Sit on the floor on D
And he’s starting every game through 2023 barring injury or ineligibility
You’re correct of course, but I can’t give that a like

Jimmy and Buddy are worse defenders. That doesn’t mean Joe is good on defense at all. It’s just how bad our defenders are.

If we were to lose Jesse, Duke may score 150 on us.

We aren’t fixing the D. Start Sy, bump Joe to the 2, buddy to the 3, Jimmy/Cole at the 4 and Jesse at the 5.

Our goal should be to win by a few points, rather than lose by a few points.

Our defense is toast and hanging on by a thread because of Jesse. And, Jesse is always a question mark bc he’s not a fully sound defender yet, but he also has so much defensive pressure put on him bc the other guys are so bad and our coach has certain ways of doing things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom